Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can somebody please help me? privacy issues!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,530 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Could it be he opened a bank statement you received in the post or found one you had received?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Is it the fact that he is my dad & set up this account, even though it is under my name etc, that he could still get this information????

lm so mad. Sorry for the long post, any suggestions/opinions would be great.

If your dad set up the account for you, it is more than likely that he still has some kind of access to it.

A word of warning though, if he set it up it is also very likely that he is the guarantor for it and if you have him removed, you may find that your banking facilities become very limited!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Could it be he opened a bank statement you received in the post or found one you had received?

no haven't got a bank statement in a long time, tbh l think my mom was making it up all along cause he hasn't said anything to me!

Jim2007 wrote: »
    If your dad set up the account for you, it is more than likely that he still has some kind of access to it.

A word of warning though, if he set it up it is also very likely that he is the guarantor for it and if you have him removed, you may find that your banking facilities become very limited!

never knew that, thanks l'll keep that in mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

trying to spoof me & hoping l'll cave

That's what I said. Is that possible?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

Just had an argument with my mother (yes this is to do with AIB/bank account).

She said l have been spending/wasting so much money (not true) & that my father found this out because apprentley he went into my AIB branch, and in some way, checked to see how much money was in my account & discovered "alot" was taken out. l am furious, either they are making this up (which l think they are) or AIB have given out my details, l am over 18.

The only thing my dad has to do with this account, is that he set it up, 20 years ago for me, but recently l changed it to a current account cause l need money (unemployed) and sick to death of my parents leading me money if they feel like it.

Can someone tell is this possible that this actually happened? He did not have my bank account no. cause l have it in a safe place.

Is it the fact that he is my dad & set up this account, even though it is under my name etc, that he could still get this information????

OP your father has more than likely pulled the oldest trick in the book. You being 20 have more than likely spent what you may think is a lot of money on something. Your father throws out a "the bank told me you spent lots" then if you reply "how dare the bank tell you I spent €400 on a new bag" bingo you have been rumbled. If your father had said how in gods name have you spent (insert exact amount) then he has access. If on the other hand he say "the bank tell me your spending a fortune" he is spoofing.

OP your father has more than likely pulled the oldest trick in the book. You being 20 have more than likely spent what you may think is a lot of money on something. Your father throws out a "the bank told me you spent lots" then if you reply "how dare the bank tell you I spent €400 on a new bag" bingo you have been rumbled. If your father had said how in gods name have you spent (insert exact amount) then he has access. If on the other hand he say "the bank tell me your spending a fortune" he is spoofing.

thing is my father hasn't said anything to me! thats why l think my mom is playing with me! l never said how much l have spent/taken out, they just think l'm a fairy with money for no reason at all, well prob cause l'm 20!

cookie1977 wrote: »
    That's what I said. Is that possible?

trying to spoof me, yes. Cave in, hell no!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

trying to spoof me, yes. Cave in, hell no!

As in by the reaction you gave to them they sussed that they were correct in saying you took the cash out. I dont think this is a banking privacy issue. Next time just dont react to your parents accusations in case they dont really know and are just trying to get a rise from you so they can prove themselves right.

cookie1977 wrote: »
    As in by the reaction you gave to them they sussed that they were correct in saying you took the cash out. I dont think this is a banking privacy issue. Next time just dont react to your parents accusations in case they dont really know and are just trying to get a rise from you so they can prove themselves right.

l didnt give them a reaction, as l said in OP it was my mom. l got mad cause it is a privacy issue & if they thought l was ott with money they should a spoke to me first about it, not go behind my back & invade my privacy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Just had an argument with my mother (yes this is to do with AIB/bank account).

She said l have been spending/wasting so much money (not true) & that my father found this out because apprentley he went into my AIB branch, and in some way, checked to see how much money was in my account & discovered "alot" was taken out. l am furious, either they are making this up (which l think they are) or AIB have given out my details, l am over 18.

The only thing my dad has to do with this account, is that he set it up, 20 years ago for me, but recently l changed it to a current account cause l need money (unemployed) and sick to death of my parents leading me money if they feel like it.

Can someone tell is this possible that this actually happened? He did not have my bank account no. cause l have it in a safe place.

Does it really matter. Your parents are concerned for you. Sit down and talk to them. If you are over spending its on you for now but this might come back to them as in giving you hand outs later on. Its easy to get 'upset' and not see the real issue they are just been concerned for you, they are not concerned about the neighbours kids just you. Its time to stand up as an adult say your not happy with questions about your finances. But with that don't expect them to be giving you money without any questions its their money afterall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Yes it's possible, because AIB did it to me - gave my account information/balance to my mother - about 12 years ago. I was over 18 at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

testicle wrote: »
    Yes it's possible, because AIB did it to me - gave my account information/balance to my mother - about 12 years ago. I was over 18 at the time.
    To be fair - 12 years is a long time ago! Data protection etc has really only come to prominence since the turn of the millennium, culminating in the Data Protection act of 2003.

Anyway, from the evidence in the OP's posts, it certainly looks like the mother is bluffing.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Equality

Yes, it is possible that the bank discussed your account details or spending with someone.

It was done to me also (relatively recently), and it was not a family member of mine who received the information.

There is no point in complaining, as there is no way to proove it, on the basis of what your dad or mum said to you.

There is a point in moving your banking transactions out of that bank and out of that town when you get a job. Leave the existing bank account as it is, just open a new bank account for your salary when you get a job, make sure it is a different bank and choose a branch in Dublin, not local.

Advertisement