Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb Metro Wireless Broadband.

Options
  • 12-10-2012 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭

anyone in Greystones using it? At 30Mb it seems to be the fastest available in the non-UPC parts of the town, curious to know whether its that fast in reality.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Think its highly contended, hav a mate who uses it in wicklow and when his kid is playing playstation the speed just dies.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Think its highly contended, hav a mate who uses it in wicklow and when his kid is playing playstation the speed just dies.

contention is generally where you're sharing with your neighbours rather than your kids. All consumer broadband is contended to some degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

loyatemu wrote: »
    contention is generally where you're sharing with your neighbours rather than your kids. All consumer broadband is contended to some degree.
    I know what contention is (work in IT for the ast 12 years), and you're sharing one wireless spectrum with all the other customers in your area.

but what i was saying is that it only takes a low bandwidth game such as call of duty for it to severly impact performance.

Latency is also an issue on those connections as well.

for anyone that's interested, decided to go with this in the end, based on reasonably positive reports on the Broadband forum.

Installed today, small dish on the chimney, here's the results:

2264964774.png

so pretty good so far, certainly better than DSL, obviously will take a while to judge its merits wrt congestion, reliability etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Nice to see there's an effective alternative. :)

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 RedRobert

for anyone that's interested, decided to go with this in the end, based on reasonably positive reports on the Broadband forum.

Installed today, small dish on the chimney, here's the results:

2264964774.png

so pretty good so far, certainly better than DSL, obviously will take a while to judge its merits wrt congestion, reliability etc.

Hey

Looking at this one as well - any update now since you have had it a while?

Thanks

seems to be good, had a few teething problems in the first week but its been solid since - download speed varies between 22 and 26 Mb/s

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭mak78

Rang up yesterday to see if i could upgrade to it from the current 8Mbps Digiweb Metro that i have and was told its not available for my address (Eden Gate) - even though their website coverage checker says its available in Greystones. I know I'm a little further out than greystones from the bray head mast they use but figured I should be ok since I already get their 8Mbps no problem. Weird. Wondering if anyone out my way has been able to get the 30Mbps?

we're 3.3km from the mast (on Windgates) - according to Google Earth, Eden Gate is 5.4km. I'd be surprised if you couldn't get more than 8Mb though.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

I'd say the issue is line of sight rather than distance tbh...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭mak78

JanneG wrote: »
    I'd say the issue is line of sight rather than distance tbh...

I have LOS from the mast to the antenna on the side of the house already as I get the 8Mb service no problem. Its the same mast for the 30Mb service so the LOS shouldn't be an issue. TBH I'd be fairly certain that I could get it, i just think that their coverage checker tool that their call centre staff use isn't right so they won't sell me the service. Might try ringing them up again and try and get them to come out and do a proper check at the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Not a person

We got this about 2 weeks ago. Internet was great no problems.

There was delay in porting the landline from Eircom..so the phone only got set up a few days ago..and ever since then internet has been dodgey!!

Dont worry though.. the router probably just needs to be reset or something. Just too lazy to do it. Tethering off my phone. Will report back.

We got this about 2 weeks ago. Internet was great no problems.

There was delay in porting the landline from Eircom..so the phone only got set up a few days ago..and since internet has been dodgey!!

dodgy in what way?

dodgy in what way?

Not working alot! Maybe need to reset the box or something. Ill report back.

Not working alot! Maybe need to reset the box or something. Ill report back.

Seems to be working fine today. Maybe it was something to do with the transition with porting over from Eircom. I was also using Tunnelbear at times to try and buy the new nexus phone but I doubt that had anything to do with it.

I don`t know to be honest. If it acts up again ill be sure to let you know

Advertisement