Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

custom made dress?!

• 12-10-2012 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

I am thinking about getting a dress made,too wear too my brothers wedding in june of next year as I have annoyingly big boobs and its hard too get a dress that fits really well that i love! i have a vague idea what i would like in my head-problem is ive no idea where i could find someone too make the dress for me or how expensive it would be?!
    has anyone got any info or ideas etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭CamillaRhodes

I had a dress made for me when I was my mate's bridesmaid. I had a vague idea of the style / shape I wanted but was then hoping for guidance and advice from the dress-maker, and was really excited about this dress which was (I was hoping) going to fit me perfectly, be super flattering and unique.

In the end, the whole process was an absolute pain in the ar$e. I had to be very prescriptive to the dress-maker, she didn't contribute anything other than veto-ing some of my ideas which would have been "too complicated" (like boning in the boddice). The resulting dress really didn't look like what I'd had in mind; it was ok, and it was too close to the wedding to keep complaining, but it really wasn't my "dream" dress. Plus it wasn't a great fit, it was looser on one side of my body than the other... it generally had a very 'home-made' feel to it, kinda like something you'd have made in home ec in school.

Add to this, it took a *lot* of effort to even get it to this state; I visited the dress-maker 7 different times and each time something was wrong (e.g. she'd fitted the straps way too wide, or the waist band was too high, or whatever); I finally ended up having to go out to her on a weekday morning (skipping work) the week of the wedding to pick up the "finished" article.

I have no idea how much my friend paid this woman for this service, she insisted on paying for it all, and I didn't tell her how much of a pain it was dealing with it as didn't want to add to her wedding pressure. But I would never, ever go through this level of hassle again, certainly not at my own expense.

Now, this may have just been one particularly bad dressmaker (though online she seems to have a good reputation - PM me if you want her name). But a couple of friends subsequently confessed that their experience of dress-making (mostly for weddings) was a similarly significant time commitment and low-quality end result, which renders it hardly worth the effort.

Would you consider instead finding a dress you love, buying it in a larger size which fits your boobs well, and then having it taken in? My guess is it would cost you a lot less, be a lot less hassle, and hopefully would look much better in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

What about going to peekaboo or someplace like that?

Advertisement