Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPod stolen from car. Worth claiming?

Options
  • 12-10-2012 12:37am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

Some scumbag broke into my car today and stole my iPod. I have yet to get a price to the damage on my locks. My question is, would it be worth making a claim? Say a second-hand iPod plus repairs to lock came to E200, I'd be paying that anyway due to my excess. So should I bother trying to make a claim at all?

FBD, full no-claims for last 5 years, fully comp.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭rotinaj

No point claiming if you are going to end up paying for it yourself. Save your self the hassle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

rotinaj wrote: »
    No point claiming if you are going to end up paying for it yourself. Save your self the hassle.

Well lets say there was no excess. Would it be worth it then? As in, would my premium go up? Would it reset my 5-year-no-claims to 0, eventhough its not my fault that my car was broken into?

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭rotinaj

newmug wrote: »
    Well lets say there was no excess. Would it be worth it then? As in, would my premium go up? Would it reset my 5-year-no-claims to 0, eventhough its not my fault that my car was broken into?

Maybe. On my policy theft claims dont affect my NCB (still have to pay the excess) but it varies from company to company. You would need to read your policy documents or talk to your insurance company to get a proper answer.

Just a little warning tho. A friend of mine had a iphone stolen from her car and tried to claim off her car insurance but they refused to pay out as she left it in the docking station in full view of anyone passing. They did however pay for the window that was smashed.

Advertisement