Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Growing up in the 1980's Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

newmug wrote: »
    Have to agree with the above.

And your username reminded me of the tele of that era - Summer Bay, Home and Away. Neighbours, Dallas, Dynasty, McGuyver, The A-Team, Knightrider, Chips, The Streets of San Fransisco, Baywatch, I could go on and on!

And don't forget Danger Bay! Ocean Hellman... hmmmmmmmmmmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

mikemac1 wrote: »

Buy bottled water?? In Ireland where the place never stops raining?? Irish people to buy water?? Lol, that will never happen

I vaguely remember some bloke on the Late Late coming out with bottled water, might've been Ballygowan, nearly getting laughed out of it, sure who'd pay money for something that comes out of the tap?!

Ah and the Late Late Show, whatever you think about Gaybo....an era when it actually mattered and folks actually watched it, before it turned into Late Late Lite. The antiques slot (people dragging in woodworm-infested things, bit of controversy about this when one of the participants didn't quite do all the work herself and didn't credit her help!!) they used have and the new inventions...making briquettes for the fire out of squidged-up damp newspaper.

The public service ads that have largely disappeared, and the amount of tv ads were for products of an agricultural nature...to control biting lice, sucking lice, mange mites and warables.

Pre NCT days, the amount of oul bangers with the ar*es falling out of them with rust. VW beetles and Morris Minors that shouldve been retired years before.... and early Jap cars that you could nearly HEAR rusting away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

Clothes were way more expensive then.

A pair of 501s cost £50 at the time. My wages in '88 was £80.....before tax!

Also, at the time (I was 19 then), I commuted to work by Motorbike.

It was the way a lot of young lads of the time got on the road & it's a thing you just don't see now.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭samina

Ah wallpaper on books also you got your phone in quicker of you knew someone that worked in telecom eireann.
    Swapping fancy paper
    Joining fan clubs of your favorite band through the post.
    Getting phone calls on the neighbours phone or a the pay phone on the street.
    Going to the video shop to rent a video and trying to get a peep into the back room where they kept the dirty movies.
    Wearing summer dresses in march.
    Buying comics on Saturdays.
    Spending time with your family because everyone sat in the sitting room.
    And of course taping songs off the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭samina

Ooh and handing the bus man your fare and he'd pocket half and give you half back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

...I know one girl who grew up in the 1980s and she was telling me that because of recession time they had to were the same clothes nearly everyday...

What age are you? I'm 21, that was the 90's to me, and about half the 00's, come to think of it the only reason I don't continue as such now, and wear clothes constantly until they actually need to be changed, is because for some unknown reason it's not very socially acceptable to.

At 21 I remember a lot of what people are earmarking as from the 80's.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭upncmnhistori

mid 20's if I can state that way please.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

You didn't grow up round my way anyway!

Not what I remember. I don't really remember the 80's because I heavily grew up in the 90's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

LW radio Atlantic 252 has all the best toones :cool:

Hollywood Hayes, Dusty Rhodes and others

You'd get your tape recorder setup and pray that fool of a DJ played the full song and didn't cut in with chat.

The story went around that the station was on an oil rig somewhere out in the North Sea to avoid licencing law and you fully believed it
    You imagined the DJ's hitching a ride on a helicopter to work every day

When you found out it was in rural Co Meath you were very unimpressed :rolleyes:

The signal and sound quality of LW radio was not the best but you didn't mind

It disappeared one sad day, later turned to Talksport which was awful and then it was no more :(

Also I'm pretty sure RTÉ shut down every night and played the national anthem and then it went to static

• Advertisement

mikemac1 wrote: »
    LW radio Atlantic 252 has all the best toones :cool:

Hollywood Hayes, Dusty Rhodes and others

You'd get your tape recorder setup and pray that fool of a DJ played the full song and didn't cut in with chat.

The story went around that the station was on an oil rig somewhere out in the North Sea to avoid licencing law and you fully believed it
    You imagined the DJ's hitching a ride on a helicopter to work every day

When you found out it was in rural Co Meath you were very unimpressed :rolleyes:

The signal and sound quality of LW radio was not the best but you didn't mind

It disappeared one sad day, later turned to Talksport which was awful and then it was no more :(

Also I'm pretty sure RTÉ shut down every night and played the national anthem and then it went to static

I think there was South Coast Radio down here, eventually morphed into County Sound C103...Curiously C103's musical output seems frozen in time, currently nothing newer than 1980's stuff and some dire country and western tripe being played.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Dummy wrote: »
    In Dublin, pirate radio stations were all the rage then. The early 80's saw the likes of Radio Dublin & Big D Radio. Late 80's saw Radio Nova, KissFM & Sunshine Radio.

The Dandelion Market was on St Stephens Green and you bought your bikes in the Penny Fathing there.

Those were the days. The radio stations were insane, there were new ones starting every week. And there was a pretty vibrant music scene in Dublin.
    And you could buy a lot of interesting things at the dandelion market...

And temple bar was still a dirty old warehouse area. nothing there at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

And the Point/O2 was just a dirty old goods depot. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

At the risk of being ate on this thread for asking this beacuse I know some people don't like looking back on the past ...what was like to be a teenager in the 1980's? I know one girl who grew up in the 1980s and she was telling me that because of recession time they had to were the same clothes nearly everyday (she was from a family of 6) but I am not speaking just about recession just growing up in the 1980-1990 era in Ireland?

clothes etc were not cheap then......there were no sweatshopes in china, india, morroco etc...no kids.working 15 hours a day so you can have cheap clothes......

yes, your wealth, is sustained on their ill health.....enjoy it....

clothes etc were not cheap then......there were no sweatshopes in china, india, morroco etc...no kids.working 15 hours a day so you can have cheap clothes......

yes, your wealth, is sustained on their ill health.....enjoy it....

I think your a bit confused there, as the sweatshops producing cheap t-shirts and other clothes were going full-blast in the 1980s.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭butrasgali

On our national flag! Can you tell me why it's not flown at night

butrasgali wrote: »
    On our national flag! Can you tell me why it's not flown at night

Sure your in the right thread? :confused:

I think your a bit confused there, as the sweatshops producing cheap t-shirts and other clothes were going full-blast in the 1980s.

Didn't dunnes stores refuse to trade with South Africa goods because of a sweat shop in this decade?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Didn't dunnes stores refuse to trade with South Africa goods because of a sweat shop in this decade?

No,staff in Dunnes on Moore street refused to handle South African products , they got locked out

strike went on and on.

• Advertisement

No,staff in Dunnes on Moore street refused to handle South African products , they got locked out

strike went on and on.

I thought it was the whole company didn't know it was just one chain. It was lecturer we were given in Entreperneurship about business ethics in GMIT one day. I was wrong so.

Hand me downs and second hand stuff.

Got so many really old second hand books from an auntie, I thought Ceylon and Rhodesia still existed.

And the Point/O2 was just a dirty old goods depot. :D

Walking to busaras was like being in post war Berlin.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I thought it was the whole company didn't know it was just one chain. It was lecturer we were given in Entreperneurship about business ethics in GMIT one day. I was wrong so.
    That explains it then. Outspan Oranges. Sweatshops were active for decades before, and then as now use a piece-rate method of calculating remuneration. Not that I can see today's deprived youth forgoing their Nikes and Primark clothing. FWIW, Dunnes does actually operate via a chain of distinct companies, some of which have branches and many of which are consolidated for reporting purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭endacl

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Walking to busaras was like being in post war Berlin.

:rolleyes:
    Now it's like being in post-outbreak Zombieland. Some things were better back then...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Not yet a teenager in the 80's but was scanning old family photos from the period the other day so it sparked a few memories.

Housing estates had no parked cars or traffic during the day so were used for football, hurling or any other game the local kids wanted.

Some teenagers used to really walk about with gheto blasters, containing a lot of very big batteries.

There were a lot of punks. In cork the peace park was always ful of them.

The weather in the summer was much better. Our photos show us going to school on either side of the summer with shorts. (pants crudely cut). All of the summer photos had us wearing shorts and t shirts.

Perfectly normal for neighbours to borrow milk / bread / tea / cofee / sugar etc from eachother.

Lot of small little shops dotted around the place.

Perms were very fashionable.

Kids were expected to mow lawns etc of the elderly neighbours.

Nearly everyone went to mass with the teenagers sneaking out and smoking around the back of the church.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

I shot JR.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Lon.C

I remember dinner involving some flavor of findus crispy pancakes and watching the beach combers.
    It was like home and away with a Canadian logging community.

There was a Students bar at the belfield ucd campus that was like some kind of "police free zone". I believe it was run by the students union and the booze was Cheap and back then "drugs" were something the police were not really familiar with, even in the 80's.
    I wasnt a student but spent quite some time there.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

InTheTrees wrote: »
    There was a Students bar at the belfield ucd campus that was like some kind of "police free zone". I believe it was run by the students union and the booze was Cheap and back then "drugs" were something the police were not really familiar with, even in the 80's.
    I wasnt a student but spent quite some time there.

The guards raided the student bar in 1981. They stopped the bar serving, locked all doors and searched everyone inside including strip searching. They arrested about 13 students

Advertisement