Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DMT

• 12-10-2012 1:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

Have you heard about this chemical, Dimethyltryptamine or DMT for short. It is produced in your pineal gland and they think it might be responsible for dreaming. It's also a class A narcotic and considered to be one of the worlds strongest hallucinogenic.

This chemical is found in every living organism, both plant and animal and can be extracted. It is either smoked or drank in a tea called ayahuasca.

Users describe the trip as being taken out of this dimension and visiting another one where you are guided by aliens. The whole trip lasts about 7 min and when you are back in this dimension the memory of the trip fades very quickly.

There is a great documentary called DMT the spirit molecule which has scientists and users talking about it.

I suppose my question to you guys is why is this illegal if technically you are in possession of it now and why has nobody heard about it, if there is this drug that lets you explore another dimension and communicate with aliens why are more people not talking about it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

Have you been smoking it tonight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Where do I sign up?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

Yes.

Huh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

kjl wrote: »
    Have you heard about this chemical, Dimethyltryptamine or DMT for short. It is produced in your pineal gland and they think it might be responsible for dreaming. It's also a class A narcotic and considered to be one of the worlds strongest hallucinogenic.

This chemical is found in every living organism, both plant and animal and can be extracted. It is either smoked or drank in a tea called ayahuasca.

Users describe the trip as being taken out of this dimension and visiting another one where you are guided by aliens. The whole trip lasts about 7 min and when you are back in this dimension the memory of the trip fades very quickly.

There is a great documentary called DMT the spirit molecule which has scientists and users talking about it.

I suppose my question to you guys is why is this illegal if technically you are in possession of it now and why has nobody heard about it, if there is this drug that lets you explore another dimension and communicate with aliens why are more people not talking about it?

They are. Mostly to aliens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

They are. Mostly to aliens.

Before flaming me, look it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

I suppose my question to you guys is why is this illegal if technically you are in possession of it now and why has nobody heard about it, it there is this drug that lets you explore another dimension and communicate with aliens why are more people not talking about it?

It's illegal despite the fact it's in your body because making it illegal to possess the DMT in your body would be unworkable.

Lots of people have heard of it.

It doesn't let you explore other dimensions... although it may make you feel like you have.

It doesn't let you communicate with aliens... although it may make you feel like you have.

People talk about it all the time... there's even been several threads about it on after hours before yours.

I like DMT, it's like the hipster Salvia. "I was a dissociative hallucinogen before it was cool!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Gigidy gigidy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Isn't that the substance secreted by toads?

Howard Marks described having a shmoke of it in Senor Nice down in South America. Said it was great stuff, but the most intense hallucination he has ever had. Felt a connection to the oneness of the world and the significance of the color purple....... Coming from Howie, I'd reckon its pretty full on, not something to do on a regular basis but probably something that's worth a try at least once in your life !
    Pretty sure it can be extracted from Reed canary grass too, but you'd need to be pretty good at your chemistry to do it.
    Just go to the Zoo and start lickin toads till you get the right one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

If it actually let you explore another dimension and communicate with aliens. I'm sure many many people would be talking about it! Otherwise it's just boring drug stories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Daithi 1

I tried ayahuasca a couple times, pretty f'd up. Puked and the ****s for hours.. buz only lasted about 20 mins. Lots of hassil, little reward.

Terence mc Kenna and Graham Hancock talk a lot about it, should check it out.

Heres a groovy video for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

I smoked it several months ago, its an amazing drug, it was a wonderful experience and i would recommend it to anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

strobe wrote: »

I like DMT, it's like the hipster Salvia. "I was a dissociative hallucinogen before it was cool!"

I don't think DMT is a dissociative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

strobe wrote: »
    It's illegal despite the fact it's in your body because making it illegal to possess the DMT in your body would be unworkable.

Lots of people have heard of it.

It doesn't let you explore other dimensions... although it may make you feel like you have.

It doesn't let you communicate with aliens... although it may make you feel like you have.

People talk about it all the time... there's even been several threads about it on after hours before yours.

user report say very vivid feeling of leaving your body and breaking through to a different dimension and everyone has similar trip reports about communicating with aliens. The chemical is released into your brain in massive dosage when you die. Is it not possible that maybe our mind exists in two planes of existence. Maybe our brains are like radios that pick up our conscience from this alternative dimension.

We still don't know what sleep is, we have theories but nobody knows. People using this drug and having these emersive trips is it not plausibly that this could be a vision of the afterlife?

I have heard of it before, but it's not common knowledge. I tell people and they think I am crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Why would he flame you? Is he an arsonist?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

grizzly wrote: »
    If it actually let you explore another dimension and communicate with aliens. I'm sure many many people would be talking about it! Otherwise it's just boring drug stories.

Ould fecking aliens. They live too far away to ever visit and i just cant relate to the shaggers. Feck em, wouldnt waste my breath saying any more about em

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

user report say very vivid feeling of leaving your body and breaking through to a different dimension and everyone has similar trip reports about communicating with aliens. The chemical is released into your brain in massive dosage when you die. Is it not possible that maybe our mind exists in two planes of existence. Maybe our brains are like radios that pick up our conscience from this alternative dimension.

We still don't know what sleep is, we have theories but nobody knows. People using this drug and having these emersive trips is it not plausibly that this could be a vision of the afterlife?

I have heard of it before, but it's not common knowledge. I tell people and they think I am crazy.[/Quote]

Man I haven't touched a drug in years but this!! This would have me in the gutter quicker than Bill Cullen can shout "Apples 5 for a Euro"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

I don't think that counts as flaming... however, seriously, how can one verify that one was conversing with aliens versus hallucinating?

I've a suggestion: perhaps request from the alien that that alien relate to you some knowledge that is already known by humanity (so you are not asking for them to interfere in our development) but is not widely known or easily understood by us... best some technical knowledge that has some significant application for humanity in the here & now. If the alien cannot do this, ask the alien if he has a clever friend who might be open for a chat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I am an Eye!

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I think it's all hogwash. And so does the talking two headed bear lying beside me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Is there any probing involved?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,602 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Do DMT take CAO students?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

You don't need this to talk to aliens, Even ET has an iPhone now :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Its great craic. Terrible smell though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

It's mad stuff, i wouldn't reccomend it if you havent done any kind of hallucinagen before. I done it once, the first hit was pretty weak but it was a cool high the colours were so vivid, we had some tunes on in the background and it was like i could see music the colours were vibrating in unison with the beats, all the while we were laughing our asses off, it didn't last long though.

Ten mins later i took another hit, this time i made sure to hit it hard for the craic. My friend who had done it before had told me all about the different dimension/alien stuff but i thought he was talking was pure bollox. I was wrong in the sense that i didn't think it'd be that intense. About two seconds after the second hit the colours just took over, reality vanished and i was lost in some kind of space and time where everything i knew was completely turned on its head, nothing made any sense. A kaleidescopic world of utter confusion and clarity where they physical world is just and illusion and doesn't matter. It's so hard to explain, i was completely terrified yet absolutely enthralled. I came back to reality shortly after, thankfully. I was glad i had did it but it scared me, if i had never done anything like that before i reckon it would have really left me mentally scarred for a while. It was an amazing experience but not one i'd be rushing to repeat anytime soon as it was just too intense. Also just letting yous know Devo-Whip It is probably not a tune youd want to have on in the background while experiencing the most mind altering trip of your life haha.

On the subject of being transported into different dimensions/worlds etc. it's a load of bollox..yes your brain is basically being taken on a completely different level of conciousness but it's all in your head.

Theres a DMT sequence in the film Enter The Void which is a pretty decent visualisation of what goes on, although this looks way less insane than the trip i was taken on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

DMT is released in large amounts by the brain at death, explaining 'near-death experiences'. It's also produced when you fast or don't sleep. Didn't Jesus fast for 40 days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Any idea how I can extract it from my pets?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

I heard of it 20 years ago from a 'New Age Traveler' from Liverpool. He described in detail to me, how you meet little people on your trip and conquer your fears towards the end. I have never tried it, dont know what it looks like and I wouldn't know how to take it. On the other hand, I hear Dope-amine is great for musical creativity. Its a drug that Parkinsons sufferers take

What are you on about? Dopamine is a neurotransmitter, one of your brain's 'reward chemicals', not a treatment for Parkinson's. Parkinson's is caused by lack of dopamine or something though afaik.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

DMT is released in large amounts by the brain at death, explaining 'near-death experiences'.
    I dunno about that. Just on personal experience I've had an NDE and had DMT(in the form of ayahuasca) and they're very different "trips" indeed. The NDE isn't trippy for a start. Very clear, very sober, hyper real for want of better description.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

I heard of it 20 years ago from a 'New Age Traveler' from Liverpool. He described in detail to me, how you meet little people on your trip and conquer your fears towards the end. I have never tried it, dont know what it looks like and I wouldn't know how to take it. On the other hand, I hear Dope-amine is great for musical creativity. Its a drug that Parkinsons sufferers take

What are you on about? Dopamine is a neurotransmitter, one of your brain's 'reward chemicals', not a treatment for Parkinson's. Parkinson's is caused by lack of dopamine or something though afaik.
    That would be a good reason for them to take it, no?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 373 ✭✭Internet Hero

It's mad stuff, i wouldn't reccomend it if you havent done any kind of hallucinagen before. I done it once, the first hit was pretty weak but it was a cool high the colours were so vivid, we had some tunes on in the background and it was like i could see music the colours were vibrating in unison with the beats, all the while we were laughing our asses off, it didn't last long though.

Ten mins later i took another hit, this time i made sure to hit it hard for the craic. My friend who had done it before had told me all about the different dimension/alien stuff but i thought he was talking was pure bollox. I was wrong in the sense that i didn't think it'd be that intense. About two seconds after the second hit the colours just took over, reality vanished and i was lost in some kind of space and time where everything i knew was completely turned on its head, nothing made any sense. A kaleidescopic world of utter confusion and clarity where they physical world is just and illusion and doesn't matter. It's so hard to explain, i was completely terrified yet absolutely enthralled. I came back to reality shortly after, thankfully. I was glad i had did it but it scared me, if i had never done anything like that before i reckon it would have really left me mentally scarred for a while. It was an amazing experience but not one i'd be rushing to repeat anytime soon as it was just too intense. Also just letting yous know Devo-Whip It is probably not a tune youd want to have on in the background while experiencing the most mind altering trip of your life haha.

On the subject of being transported into different dimensions/worlds etc. it's a load of bollox..yes your brain is basically being taken on a completely different level of conciousness but it's all in your head.

Theres a DMT sequence in the film Enter The Void which is a pretty decent visualisation of what goes on, although this looks way less insane than the trip i was taken on.

sorry man but that's all stuff u heard from the Internet. you never did it. nobody here has tried anything more than maybe acid or mushrooms. no ayahuasca for sure haha liars

sorry man but that's all stuff u heard from the Internet. you never did it. nobody here has tried anything more than maybe acid or mushrooms. no ayahuasca for sure haha liars
    I didn't know you knew everyone on boards personally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

I'd be tempted to try it after all these posts.

But I won't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Suceed

There are a few groups in Ireland who regularly put hold ayahuasca (or Daime) ceremonies. Some follow the Santo Daime religion in Brazil, others are a bit looser in structure, others centreing on healing rituals.

The effects are different for different people at different times.

There's also a difference in smoking DMT extract and drinking ayahuasca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Oh no i've been rumbled...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

I thought this was common knowledge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Dmt is in the body alright but so is DNA that doesnt mean its a good idea to add more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

wrong.

and that video is surprisingly like dmt, i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I've never tried it. Wouldn't even know where to start about going to look for it

I mentioned it one time to the guy I buy weed from and he looked at me as if I had onions growing out of my ears.. maybe he was on it himself!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭DyldeBrill

I think a lot of people have heard about this drug, mostly through Joe Rogan who is a huge fan of its side effects.

Yes it can be smoked or drank but amazonian tribes like to sniff small amounts of it.A great doc can be seen with Bruce Parry experimenting the drug on Youtube.Very interesting!

Loads and loads of people are talking about it, and maybe one day I will try the drug but I'd leave that for another few years until I'm old and grey, because who knows what trip your going to have off this stuff! People have lost their mind, and again this all comes down to where your getting it from.DMT can be made from all sorts and a lot of people make it themselves through tree sap etc.....just dunno if I'd trust that right now!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I would try it. LSD has a very transcendent interconnectedness about it so it would be interesting to compare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

I haven't done it myself but have read doctor strassmans book DMT - The Spirt Molecule. Is a brillent read and a must if you are anyway interested in it. He makes the book very accesable. There is tons of trip reports classed into different types of trips. He also gives opinions on varouse things such as all alien abductions are the accidental release of DMT by the body.

Not everyone experiences the whole alien thing as someone seemed to suggest ealier. There is two chapters of the book decidated to these types of trips which is more than any other type so it is something that keeps coming up for whatever reason.

There isn't a whole lot of data out there on it. Docter strassman's study was the first real study of the drugs effect on people. There was one other study a few years before but was in a completly different context.

More studys need to be done with DMT. We simply dont know enough about it. And if you read the book you will see the troble that strassman had in getting permission to do the study. Took him years to get the go ahead (and to source a lab to make the dmt). That needs to change if we are to learn anything more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭anhedonia

Theres plenty of it going around these days in the form of changa, which is a herbal DMT mixture ideal for smoking from a regular weed pipe. In comparison the freebase DMT crystal needs to be vaporised, so you would need something more akin to a crack pipe to smoke it.

Its truly fascinating, and mixes amazingly well with MDMA, as you're not as terrified to go with it.

Also, there is a very unpleasant aroma, in that it smells like someone lit a bag of dogsh1t on fire in your living room. Totally worth it though.

This thread is making me miss partying :(

Just curious, as Ive never tried it, (or heard much about it either to be honest),
    but I am wondering what the bad side effects would be. You know how sometimes you hear of people 'taking' bad trips, also would there be any nausea associated with it? Im just assuming there has to be a bad side, as with most things. Would be interested in hearing peoples experience of that.

Jake1 wrote: »
    Just curious, as Ive never tried it, (or heard much about it either to be honest),
    but I am wondering what the bad side effects would be. You know how sometimes you hear of people 'taking' bad trips, also would there be any nausea associated with it? Im just assuming there has to be a bad side, as with most things. Would be interested in hearing peoples experience of that.

There are no bad side affects.
    Its over before it starts.
    Its so intense that within 30 seconds of inhaling it feels like your head is being shot out of a canon, then you plateau into another universe made up entirely of colorful geometric patters. Sometimes you will meet these entities in the form of machine elves and aliens.
    And just as you're trying to comprehend all this it ends, which is between 3 and 5 minutes later.
    There is an aferglow for about 30 mins, but then you are completely back to normal, no after grogginess etc.
    The reason it lasts so short is because its not a foreign substance to your body, so you can metabolise it really quickly.

Its the type of thing you look back and think that it was the most terrifying and truly exhilarating experience of your life. Its way too intense and short to be able to even think that you're having a bad trip though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

hmmm, that'd make me think twice about trying it.
    anhedonia wrote: »
    Theres plenty of it going around these days in the form of changa

Changa is mainly made up of other stuff is it not?

Changa is mainly made up of other stuff is it not?

No the active ingredient in changa is N,N-DMT. It looks kinda like a tobacco mix. Its possible people are referring to other substances as changa, but any changa Ive smoked has been unmistakably DMT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

There is no way of describing a full on salvia or dmt trip to someone who hasn't experienced it, no fücking way. It is so far beyond....everything, there are no words.
    It's like waking up, dying and being told the meaning of life all at the same moment....ego destroyed, mind blown.

There is no way of describing a full on salvia or dmt trip.

Well you could try!

Although a DMT trip is quite difficult to describe, I find it more difficult to describe being in a K-hole.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Yeah I read a couple of stories about it on Erowid a while ago. Sounds pretty f**ked up in all honesty.

Supposedly it's like a Diphenhydramine trip but more intense, shorter & insaner. I tried out DPH before & wasn't something I'd like to experience again.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement