Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Backpacking - Perth

Options
  • 12-10-2012 1:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭

Just some FYI details which might prove handy for a few people coming in to backpacking season. Those named and shamed are in the bolded paragraph so probably best to avoid.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/newshome/15098640/filthy-hostels-to-face-court/
    'Filthy' hostels to face court

Backpacker hostels are being taken to court accused of overcrowding, cockroach infestations and not enough bathroom, kitchen and laundry facilities.

The City of Vincent uncovered hostels charging backpackers between $100 and $200 a week for a spot in a dormitory with up to 12 beds. Some properties were dirty and the kitchens, laundries and bathrooms were substandard.

Vincent mayor Alannah MacTiernan said in one case a hostel was found to have only two showers for 24 people and one had been closed off.

She said the problem was growing and blamed a shortage of housing for people having no choice but to put up with poor conditions.

"It's a real problem because the rents are so high and there is such a housing shortage that a lot of people - particularly migrants and visa holders - have to accept these appalling conditions," Ms MacTiernan said.

"People are exploiting the situation and cramming people in."

Five hostels in Perth and West Perth have been charged with 30 offences, including unclean conditions, poor maintenance, fire safety concerns and insufficient facilities after environmental health inspections after a complaint from a tourist about abysmal conditions in one of the lodgings. The crackdown comes after _The West Australian _reported in March one of the hostels charged, Planet Inn Backpackers, was selling space on couches to desperate tourists.

The West Perth hostel was found to be charging $16 a night for a couch without a pillow, linen or blankets.

The Vincent blitz also uncovered several lodges operating without planning approval.

Ms MacTiernan said some of the boarding houses had been closed but others had been allowed to remain open while they applied for approval. "We aren't unreasonable about this," she said.

"We are giving them an opportunity to fix it up and to stay open. Our aim isn't to close down places." Tourism figures show the number of backpackers visiting WA grew from 96,000 in 2010 to 110,000 last year.

The proprietors of City Backpacker Hostel face seven charges, Ozi Inn, six charges, Planet Inn Backpackers, eight charges, Cheviot Lodge, eight charges, and Rainbow Lodge, one charge.

All are due to appear in Perth Magistrate's Court.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I've been staying in hostels since I got here, about 3 weeks ago. I've stayed in three so far; two in Melbourne, and one in Brisbane. I have to say they were all pretty clean, especially the one in Brisbane (Chill Backpackers). They may have lacked slightly in the facilities department but they kept the place spotless.

The main problem is with the other guests. Why do English girls want to have sex in my dorm room......but not with me :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭ifeelill

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Why do English girls want to have sex in my dorm room......but not with me :mad:

Because you are a cat ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

ifeelill wrote: »
    Because you are a cat ?

Well I walk on two legs but I am pretty hairy :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

I've been staying in hostels since I got here, about 3 weeks ago. I've stayed in three so far; two in Melbourne, and one in Brisbane. I have to say they were all pretty clean, especially the one in Brisbane (Chill Backpackers). They may have lacked slightly in the facilities department but they kept the place spotless.

The main problem is with the other guests. Why do English girls want to have sex in my dorm room......but not with me :mad:

haha that's tragic!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭ali-d1936

why isnt the Old Swan Barricks Mentioned? that place is Horrid... A good laugh but horrid!

• Advertisement

Some of the reviews on hostelworld.com for hostels in Perth are just :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭ifeelill

Some of the reviews on hostelworld.com for hostels in Perth are just :eek:

:eek: good or :eek: bad ?

Advertisement