Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Light stands and Ryanair?

• 12-10-2012 1:50am

Hey all,

Was wondering if I could ask a quick question (Can think of no other suitable place to ask).

I'll be heading to London in two weeks to do a job, and I'm only bringing a carry-on bag (Lowepro Computrekker AW, which fits perfectly on Ryanair and has never given me even a small bit of trouble with them).

However, I'd like to bring a light stand and umbrella, too. The light stands are typical Amazon ones, and comes with it's own black carry bag, and I have just thrown an umbrella into the bag with it. If I strapped this to the Lowepro (either at the side or front), what would be my chances of getting on the plane with it (both going over and coming back)?

I've heard of people bringing tripods on planes before, but rarely do the threads specify if the rest of their gear was also carry on or whether or not it was checked in.

Anyone got any advice/experience?

Cheers. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

If it won't fit in the bag sizer you have no hope. Its the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭jonnybangbang

I would say you have no chance. You may need to check it in.

You know Ryanair is know for its leniency when it comes to their charges..... cough cough. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

Put the whole lot in a hold-all...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Splinters

Id say next to no chance alright. My girlfriend was recently stopped as she had bought a magazine in the newsagents beside the boarding gate and the magazine was in a bag. She was told at the boarding gate she was only allowed one carry one bag, which was her handbag, and the bag from the newsagents was considered a second piece of carry on luggage. They're an absolute joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭maggy_thatcher

If you can fit it all in a bin liner, that counts as one bag; as long as that bin-liner can then fit inside their size dimensions.

If it's out of the dimensions, then the only option is to check the bag in.

• Advertisement

Cheers guys.

Wasn't entirely sure, to be honest. I was hoping that if I could attach it to the Computrekker that it'd be classed as one large bag (I'm fairly sure that if I put the light stand on the side of the bag it'd still fit into Ryanair's cage, and would fit their maximum dimensions).

I was more concerned with it being considered a potential stabbing weapon than the extra bag issue. If I strapped it to my Computrekker, it would be on the outside of the Computrekker, but would be secured to it by the straps on the bag... Still no chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

When the stand and umbrella are collapsed do they fit within ryanair's carry on dimensions? If so then strapped on they are probably fine. You could also have a long coat and hold/conceal the items inside this and carry it in your hand. I've had to do that before.

Effects wrote: »
    When the stand and umbrella are collapsed do they fit within ryanair's carry on dimensions? If so then strapped on they are probably fine. You could also have a long coat and hold/conceal the items inside this and carry it in your hand. I've had to do that before.

The bag looks a bit odd (as the lightstand is taller than the bag) and it's obvious there's a lightstand/tripod/something attached to it, but it does still fit inside their dmensions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

KKV wrote: »
    Effects wrote: »

The bag looks a bit odd (as the lightstand is taller than the bag) and it's obvious there's a lightstand/tripod/something attached to it, but it does still fit inside their dmensions.
    Does it also fit heightwise into their dimensions ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

I think you can buy an extra seat for guitars, cellos and the like.

• Advertisement

Does it also fit heightwise into their dimensions ?

Yeah.

Well, no, not if I actually use a lightstand, but if I use a monopod instead of a lightstand, then it fits (umbrella is actually 2cm too big, but the pole could be cut on it to make it 55cm).

If that makes sense?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

So did you bring the light stand with you in the end? I've often wondered the same thing.

I didn't, Ben. Didn't think it'd be worth the hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭nucker

I'm sure you can put all the equipment in a suitcase (depending on how big it is) with some extra clothing space left. And you can have hand luggage as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

I didn't, Ben. Didn't think it'd be worth the hassle.
    I travelled Aer Lingus recently and had no problems with hand luggage which included large camera bag tripod and flash. plus a laptop
    It was searched on my way home at Heathrow but no hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    I travelled Aer Lingus recently and had no problems with hand luggage which included large camera bag tripod and flash. plus a laptop
    It was searched on my way home at Heathrow but no hassle.

Interesting. I did Aer Lingus Dublin-Heathrow-Dublin a couple of weeks ago. Wanted to bring my lightstand & brolly but decided against.

I might be braver next time :)

Advertisement