Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a domain name!

• 12-10-2012 8:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 49

Hi,

I would like to buy my own real name as .com address (and also as a .ie if it isn't too expensive). How do I do this? Is it normally expensive?

Also, can I buy it outright or do I have to rent it per year?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭mneylon

If the domain is available then you can register it for up to 10 years at a time

You cannot "own" a domain name outright

Pricing will vary according to who you choose and which services you opt for

For .com domain names you should choose an ICANN accredited registrar

If it's a personal domain name maybe you should consider a .me instead?

Any questions please let us know :)

Michele

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 49 JaneCompti

Thanks :) It'd be great if I could get a 10 year thing. I want to buy my name out as a .com and an .ie before anyone else can use it. I have no idea what company to go with though. Why would one buy an .me? Is it cheaper?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Google will find you loads of domain registrars. Recommendations for domains and hosting are frowned upon on Boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

The only guidance available on boards is here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=53028341&postcount=2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,434 ✭✭✭jmcc

JaneCompti wrote: »
    Thanks :) It'd be great if I could get a 10 year thing. I want to buy my name out as a .com and an .ie before anyone else can use it. I have no idea what company to go with though. Why would one buy an .me? Is it cheaper?
    In terms of self-expression, .me seems to be the leader. It is the Facebook of domains. (There is a .name but it is not so popular. That's probably the Google+ of domains. :) ) There is a rule here about recommending particular hosting companies and registrars as others have pointed out above.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the advice. I'll possibly be using the domain professionally, which is why I am leaning towards the .com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

A couple things to note -

.COM domains are usually around €10 per year to register and you can do so without needing any documents.

.IE are around €35 a year to register and there are strict policies and documents which have to be provided before you can register one.

Very few registrars still charge that much for an IE. Budget about €20 these days. And while docs are certainly required, I've never not been able to register an IE for a customer. It's all about approach. Some registrars try harder than others. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,434 ✭✭✭jmcc

JaneCompti wrote: »
    Thanks for all the advice. I'll possibly be using the domain professionally, which is why I am leaning towards the .com
    If you are targeting the global market, the .com might be a better choice as primary brand. If you are targeting the Irish market, the .ie is probably the better choice.

Regards...jmcc

Thanks for all the suggestions! I might try and see if I can buy it out for a 10 year period or something like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

I bought my own name .com last year from goDaddy for like 7 euros a year

the linux action show weekly podcast always have weekly discount codes for GoDaddy also

Thanks for that. Boards.ie is so handy for these things :) This is officially the fastest reply I've had so far though!

GoDaddy is a Bad company. They've taken domains offline for spurious reasons, on one occasion taking an entire data centre down in the process, they were big supporters of SOPA until they did an about-turn entirely for PR purposes, and their douche of a CEO thinks it's ok to kill protected animals. Read the controversies section of the GoDaddy page on Wikipedia for more detail.

Cheap is great, but sometimes things are too cheap. GoDaddy is too cheap. They're scum.

There are plenty of alternatives out there, including Irish registrars that aren't all that much more expensive, if you want to support local businesses.

Advertisement