Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NAC Pool availability

Options
  • 12-10-2012 8:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

Any of you guys members of the NAC?

If so, do you have any issues with the pool availability for general members?

I was in the pool yesterday at 4.30 and there were only 2 lanes available for members as the rest were booked for swim lessons and NAC swim team. Needless to say this led to congestion in the pool.

Then at 5pm, I was informed (by a rather arrogant teenager) that I had to get out of the water as all the lanes were booked for the NAC swim team and academy.
    Obviously this infuriated me, so I went to the duty managers office and asked what lanes were available. She informed me that only Pool C was available for members on Tuesday and Thursday evenings.
    When I asked why there were no notices up, she said they were up in the changing rooms and at pool side. When I asked to be shown them, her response was ‘Oh, are they not. Maybe we should put up some’.

I went on an auld rant with her, being as polite as possible, but she seemed to be more bothered with getting back to the personal call which I had disturbed (Sorry about that Mrs Duty Manager).

I then went down to Pool C to find only 3 lanes available. I asked the lifeguard if there was any lane management and he pointed at 3 signs ‘Fast, Medium and Slow’. Now, I am no speed demon in the water but the guys in the fast lane were just missing their lilo. When I asked him if he was going to do anything about it, he said ‘Maybe that is fast for him so nothing I can do about it’. Seriously?

There is an utter disregard for NAC general swim members by the management up there.
    Whilst I understand the need for the swim teams to book lanes, I don’t think it is right to allow for all lanes to be booked.
    Likewise, a little bit of notification and communication would go a long way. A few simple signs in the changing room and at poolside, plus on the website would serve members a little better.

I have asked this of the NAC on many occasions and nothing has ever been done. Also, when you ask for a manager with authority in person, they never seem to be there.

Anyway, rant over but would like to hear others opinions.

Finally, if anyone has direct contact details for the senior operations manager in the NAC, please PM me. Likewise, if anyone from the NAC is on here, please PM me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Yes, it is frustrating getting there to find that general public is crammed into just a couple of lanes, or getting there to find that there's a gala on and no lanes at all to use and nothing mentioned on the web site.

It would be nice to always know that there will be a minimum number of lanes available and that there won't be old ladies doing breastroke having a chat in the fast lane...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Same used to happen in Westwood Clontarf. You pay €75 a month to find all bar two lanes in use by clubs ans schools and management would swear blind that there was always four free lanes. In the end I left.

A packed 50m pool is no better than an empty 25m

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Briando

I'm in Trinity and the pool can ofter be completely booked when I'd like to go. But at least they keep it accurately updated on their website.

I would like a little more lane management though or people be a little more considerate about where they choose to slowly breaststroke. Fast lane is probably not a good choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Briando wrote: »
    I'm in Trinity and the pool can ofter be completely booked when I'd like to go. But at least they keep it accurately updated on their website.

I would like a little more lane management though or people be a little more considerate about where they choose to slowly breaststroke. Fast lane is probably not a good choice.

Swim up behind them hard and fast. Generally not too long getting out of the way!

Agreed about the lanes in Trinity, the evenings generally have lessons, and later the pools can be booked for such nonsense as the canoe club! But at least the website is kept updated and the timetable is displayed poolside also.

Edit: To add that thats pretty sh1t service from the NAC NT, clearly customer service isn't high on the list of priorities.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Do people in your gyms actually do breastroke? They just flail their arms and legs about in my pool. The amount of times I've swam into someone because you couldn't feel them in front of you is unreal. Swam through someone using a kickboard last week cos they were barely kicking and I couldn't feel the water moving in front of me didn't realise she was there till she was behind me. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭munsterbear

Very frustrating in the NAC alright. Issues also with the water fountains in the changing rooms giving the slightest trickle of water and it's often warm. Overcrowded members changing rooms. And children in the jacuzzi/sauna/steam room.

Have often put comments cards in the box but never once has been contacted re complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

I always finish my session with breaststroke. Helps wind the heart down but I won't do it in the fast lane and I do pull over for faster swimmers in the lane.

There is little lane management in Trinity pool. There is always really slow swimmers in the medium and fast lanes that are never moved.

The thing I do like about Trinity is the lack of children. I come to train, not for pleasure etc so like a pool that's all business.

Is anybody swimming in UCD? If so how do you find the experience?

Johnnio13 wrote: »
    I always finish my session with breaststroke. Helps wind the heart down but I won't do it in the fast lane and I do pull over for faster swimmers in the lane.

There is little lane management in Trinity pool. There is always really slow swimmers in the medium and fast lanes that are never moved.

I've no problem with slow swimmers or swimmers doing slow technique work/drills or warm downs as long as they are aware and considerate of faster swimmers around. I always stop at the wall if I'm doing slow stuff and check if someone is right behind me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭PGF

Any of you guys members of the NAC?

I then went down to Pool C to find only 3 lanes available. I asked the lifeguard if there was any lane management and he pointed at 3 signs ‘Fast, Medium and Slow’. Now, I am no speed demon in the water but the guys in the fast lane were just missing their lilo. When I asked him if he was going to do anything about it, he said ‘Maybe that is fast for him so nothing I can do about it’. Seriously?

Likewise, a little bit of notification and communication would go a long way. A few simple signs in the changing room and at poolside, plus on the website would serve members a little better.

Had a similar experience last week with the main pool been taken for teams and the C pool fast lane had two kids pissing about in it with the life guard looking on uninterested.
    Turned up another time to find that the pool was closed due to a gala taking place. Would be nice if they put that up on their website (and not Facebook) to save me the journey across.

Other than that it's been fairly quiet any time I've been there in the last 1.5 years as a member.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Seems like NAC can be a disaster! Why dont ye hand in a letter saying you will not be renewing if this isnt addressed and get a bunch of member signatures.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ray o

Very frustrating in the NAC alright. Issues also with the water fountains in the changing rooms giving the slightest trickle of water and it's often warm. Overcrowded members changing rooms. And children in the jacuzzi/sauna/steam room.

Have often put comments cards in the box but never once has been contacted re complaints.

I don't go near the place after 3pm - If I couldn't get into the pool either on the way to work or during lunch I wouldn't use it all. If those options were not open to me I would save on the membership and swim with an organised group and just pay the subs for that - at least your with like minded people in an organised lane.

Also, while i'm a full member I don't use the member only changing rooms - fvcking joke. Your better off using the public ones further up on the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

tunney wrote: »
    Same used to happen in Westwood Clontarf. You pay €75 a month to find all bar two lanes in use by clubs ans schools and management would swear blind that there was always four free lanes. In the end I left.

A packed 50m pool is no better than an empty 25m

That cost would almost cover the cost of UCD gym public membership. There are always open lanes and lane managemt is getting better with some new lifeguards - today I had a lifeguard throw some breastrokers out of the medium lane where I was into the slow lane. If you want I can give you some passes to try out the pool at swimming on Monday (if you ever get to the south side).

griffin100 wrote: »
    That cost would almost cover the cost of UCD gym public membership.

75€ x 12 = 900€+ for UCD pool? ouch.

Briando wrote: »
    75€ x 12 = 900€+ for UCD pool? ouch.

Not quite, it's €1,050 or so for public membership. Ouch is right !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭valerie

€1050?
    Are you sure? I heard it was €780 or so. Still fairly steep but covers pool and gym. I've found that lane management is good but I'm only there in the mornings.

valerie wrote: »
    €1050?
    Are you sure? I heard it was €780 or so. Still fairly steep but covers pool and gym. I've found that lane management is good but I'm only there in the mornings.

I could be thinking about family membership wirh that price, I haven't paid much attention to the full rates as they don't apply to me .

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭NeedsTraining

I have a call into the Operations director, so awaiting his response.

Hopefully they will see the light.

Will report back once I hear from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

I've been a member in the NAC for 2.5 years and TBH I have no real complaints apart from the changing rooms-they are so small and cramped its a joke.

Now I swim 90% of the time between the times of 6-8am. It is very predictable at that time and not too packed at all, those that are there know what they are doing, in general. The other 10% of the time I would try to get in before 4pm. I am an off peak member and for anyone interested that is €290 per year (i think) which ain't bad. Suits me just fine.

When not in Dublin I have found the "swim early as possible" rule works a treat, not too many willing to rise that early for a swim.

Yesterday morning the lanes were all marked out and directions indicated which is a step in the right direction. Still had the regular doing breaststroke very slowly in the medium lane though :)

My only complaint yesterday was the public changing rooms were closed (I'm a swim only member so not allowed to use members changing).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

I've been a member in the NAC for 2.5 years and TBH I have no real complaints apart from the changing rooms-they are so small and cramped its a joke.

Now I swim 90% of the time between the times of 6-8am. It is very predictable at that time and not too packed at all, those that are there know what they are doing, in general. The other 10% of the time I would try to get in before 4pm. I am an off peak member and for anyone interested that is €290 per year (i think) which ain't bad. Suits me just fine.

When not in Dublin I have found the "swim early as possible" rule works a treat, not too many willing to rise that early for a swim.

I see where you come from but can i be on the other side for 1 second, people pay 290 euro which is cheap as chips for a 50 meter pool and are not happy ......
    how much do you think it costs to run a pool do you think they cover their expensess with your 290 euro or they are doing you a favor to use a facility which is built more for performance swimming?

compromise could be increase fees and give you a better service ?
    I personally i always thought the nac is a great pool and 290 is too cheap too be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Nothing worse than poor lane managment, I worked in Terenure and Rathmines pools for years during college. If I saw someone in the wrong lane, I'd gently tap them on the head during a turn and ask them politely to move. Once you explained they were always happy to move and thanked me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

ted1 wrote: »
    Nothing worse than poor lane managment, I worked in Terenure and Rathmines pools for years during college. If I saw someone in the wrong lane, I'd gently tap them on the head during a turn and ask them politely to move. Once you explained they were always happy to move and thanked me.

Fair play ted, a simple and effective mechanism to keep everyone (?) reasonably happy and swimming. Unfortunately you'd be in a minority.
    The former pool you mentioned is arguably one of the few that is well managed. I'd put that down to Psycho (KW) who still works in and around there ;)

When I swam in Westwood Clontarf it was a nightmare. The slow swimmers would get in the fast lane because they thought they were fast.

Etiquettesuggested that a tap to the feet near the wall would let them know you were there and to let you past. I remember a good few times when lads (from Piranha TC who should have known better) went ape sh1t about "touching". Remember one tried to punch me when all I did was tap once. Weird bloke.

They weren't as bad as the grannies and similar who also would do the same. Its the medium lane that is the cause of the problems. People who should be in the slow lane get in the medium lane which pushes the medium people into the fast lane (although they are doing to the fast lane people what they b1tch about in the medium lane). When we complained we were told "we cannot move people in the lanes, signs are just for indication". Solution 10x100 on 1:50 hitting 1:35 in the slow lane. The issues with not moving people from lanes becomes clear then.

In the end I just left as couldn't stand the crowds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

peter kern wrote: »
    I see where you come from but can i be on the other side for 1 second, people pay 290 euro which is cheap as chips for a 50 meter pool and are not happy ......
    how much do you think it costs to run a pool do you think they cover their expensess with your 290 euro or they are doing you a favor to use a facility which is built more for performance swimming?

I personally i always thought the nac is a great pool and 290 is too cheap too be true.

Just to be clear guys, it's not me that is "not happy" with the price, I said that it "ain't bad" and "suits me just fine". It is indeed a very competitive price and an 'off-peak' membership also suits me.

Another side to your side.

Same problems in Westwood clontarf. I paid 75 euro a month for years. They stopped supplying the service and used the members to subsidise rental of lanes to clubs and the like. I'd have stayed if I could have swam without hindrance.

Spoke to two members in the NAC yesterday. Both of them experienced very rude swimming teachers yesterday afternoon. Complaints have been made to management but it doesn't come across that the issues are been taken seriously.

The Facility is been really let down on the pool side. The gym staff are the complete opposite. Very friendly and build a rapport with the members. But seriously considering not renewing membership if the access to the pool and the attitude of the swim teachers improves.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭longshank

To be fair a good atitude to customer service costs nothing. If management allows such an attitude take hold it wont be long before it spreads to the high performance side of things as well. Does your attitude to your athletes depend on how much they pay you?

tunney wrote: »
    When I swam in Westwood Clontarf it was a nightmare. The slow swimmers would get in the fast lane because they thought they were fast.

Etiquettesuggested that a tap to the feet near the wall would let them know you were there and to let you past. I remember a good few times when lads (from Piranha TC who should have known better) went ape sh1t about "touching". Remember one tried to punch me when all I did was tap once. Weird bloke.

They weren't as bad as the grannies and similar who also would do the same. Its the medium lane that is the cause of the problems. People who should be in the slow lane get in the medium lane which pushes the medium people into the fast lane (although they are doing to the fast lane people what they b1tch about in the medium lane). When we complained we were told "we cannot move people in the lanes, signs are just for indication". Solution 10x100 on 1:50 hitting 1:35 in the slow lane. The issues with not moving people from lanes becomes clear then.

In the end I just left as couldn't stand the crowds.

Piranha use specific lanes if they are training there at specific times. So why would he be in the members lane if swimming as a Piranha??

• Advertisement

Unfprtunately the NAC is not always a 50m pool. In the early morning it is, but between tri club and swim teams there are limited number of lanes. In the afternoon the pool is divided into 25m pools but out of the 3 25m pools there may be only 2 or 3 lanes for members or pay as you go swimmers. Out of a possible 24 or more lanes, it is a pathetic amount of lane space.

Advertisement