Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If alcohol was made illegal...

Options
  • 12-10-2012 8:57am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just imagine if Ireland, up to its proverbial neck (as it is, lets face it) in alcohol related problems, decided to take a leaf out of the USA's book and introduce prohibition of consuming alcohol - what would happen?

Would we moan about it but meekly accept it? Would it be the final push for the country to engage in all-out protest and civil disobedience?

How much criminality would banning alcohol encourage and would people spend their money on more productive things than drinking?

Thoughts please...
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I don't mind the recession and the shíte our economy is going through with the bankers/bondholders and extra taxes I'm paying with the USC stuff. But take away my Alcohol and I'm on the first plane I can get out of here.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 forevertwisted

There's no drinking in America now?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Holyhead would be the richest town in the UK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

There's no drinking in America now?

Between 1919 and 1933 consuming and selling alcohol in the USA was a crime - the Prohibition era.

To this day a number of bible belt states have many "dry" counties.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Banning alcohol would do nothing positive for anyone,There be more sense in educating people on the harm it may do if its abused,Anyway if we banned alcohol in Ireland we would only have gangland shootings,assaults,corruption,gang wars crazy newspaper headlines... o hold on a sec there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭akura

Half the country would turn into zombie's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Just like every other form of prohibition, there will still be plenty of the banned substance about.

Speak Easys would probably come back into existance, which sounds like a bit of crack tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Heroine and cocaine are illegal. Doesnt stop people from doing what they can to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

I lived in Saudi Arabia for years - believe me where there is a will there is a way! :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

The government would need to find billions from somewhere to make up for the loss in revenue. Thousands of people would be made unemployed overnight. Pubs up and down the country would become derelict. Mass emigration. The economy would collapse.

Unthinkable. Anyway the Vintners Ass. wouldn't allow the gov to do it, even with
    Shortall gone.

On the bright side, a return to the bootlegging days of old means that poteen would be dirt cheap and there would be home brew kits in everyone's spare room.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I'd give Nucky Thompson a buzz, see if he could sort me out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Started brewing our own beer here a little while ago, first batch should be ready to drink next week, only 20 litres, but shur we'll scale it up if it turns out drinkable

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

Banning alcohol would be almost as ridiculous as banning certain phrases on an internet forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭martomcg

It could never happen, as mentioned above the government makes waaaay too much money taxing alcohol to do away with it. Same reason they dont just outright ban the sale of cigarettes in Ireland.

That prohibition era in America created one of the most sophisticated smuggling networks that ever existed and pretty much enabled the Mafia to grow at a ridiculous rate in that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Would be dangerous and deadly. People would resort to homebrews and with no proper controls in place it wouldn't be long before an unintentionally lethal batch of spirits is consumed.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

there'd be less ugly people getting laid

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭postitnote

Newry would be richest town in the UK

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

I'd be getting my bathtub and bowling balls ready to make the best tasting alcohol in the world. EVER!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Several Tescos would probably shut down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Tommy guns, sharp suits, and foxtrot?

Bring. it. on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Ireland might stand up for themselves and Riot

I'm confused as to why people think that rioting is a good thing

• Registered Users Posts: 12,207 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I would be in favour of such a move. alcohol is a scourge on our society. it ruins lives, families, friendships and most importantly, slowly kills you from the inside out.

Ah heyor, leave i ou

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Thinly veiled pro stoner thread.....

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭HeyThereDeliah

I'm having beer after work, might have two extra in case this ban happens or I'm dying inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

akura wrote: »
    Half the country would turn into zombie's

Zombie's what?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Would they legalise smoke instead? Cause I tend to smoke more then I drink recently, after suffering from previous drinking problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Franticfrank

Whatever you say, alcohol is a very important social factor in Ireland, just like it is in other places like Poland and the Czech Republic. For years, Austrians had their cafes with coffee and cake. We had the pub which acted as the nucleus of Irish society, where you'd meet, chat and relax. Of course to some extent this is disappearing today but ban alcohol and you're destroying our social core.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭andrew241983

it ok a nucky thompson type figure would help us all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Between 1919 and 1933 consuming and selling alcohol in the USA was a crime - the Prohibition era.

To this day a number of bible belt states have many "dry" counties.

How'd it work out for them? :D

Advertisement