Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stockings / Pull Ups

• 12-10-2012 9:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭

I dislike tights intensely - they get sweaty and uncomfortable throughout a working day!! So, I've taken to wearing stockings which are great and so comfortable.

Only problem is they only seem to come in black and nude colours. I was wondering if anyone knew of anywhere where you can get different coloured ones... like, all the different colours you can get tights in but in stockings? Any help would be a huge relief!! Also, I'd recommend everyone to give them a go - they wear well, look good and make you feel amazing! Woo!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Pippy1976

Hi Guys... any responses to this? I've checked on-line since posting and only find black / nude stockings.

I'm looking for other colours - reds, oranges, greens, navy etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated, really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Falke have them and they are good reasonably priced brand. Personally I prefer well fitting good quality tights for winter. As a general rule I would buy stuff made by dedicated hosiery manufactures and you get a lot more choice and better quality.

http://www.uktights.com/section?xSec=73&xPage=1&xSort=name&xFilter=&xFilterID=2&xFilterAdd=s1,2

Thanks a million - really appreciate that. I usually buy all my underwear / lingerie (whatever it's called!) from Figleaves on-line but again, they only do black, white and nude stockings.

I find tights quite, well, tight around the waist area and it just gets too darned hot between my legs - apologies if that's too graphic! Plus, I feel great when I wear stockings... it's like my little saucy secret! haha

Again, I really appreciate you posting for me. Cheers, pips
    meeeeh wrote: »
    Falke have them and they are good reasonably priced brand. Personally I prefer well fitting good quality tights for winter. As a general rule I would buy stuff made by dedicated hosiery manufactures and you get a lot more choice and better quality.

http://www.uktights.com/section?xSec=73&xPage=1&xSort=name&xFilter=&xFilterID=2&xFilterAdd=s1,2

Figleaves have some Falke but I don't think shops here or in UK are very well stocked with tights. I usually buy them when I'm home or in Italy and Germany and you do get much better choice of patterns and colors. A lot of brands can be hard to find here.

I agree that badly fitting tights can be really annoying. I hate the shape-wear ones from M&S for example and they can be really uncomfortable but wearing skirt with hold ups in winter is way to cold for me. And I find hold ups awkward too sometimes, when those adhesive strips don't stay in place. I find them much better though if you are wearing something with vertical pattern because it's much easier to center each leg separately. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭cloud_dancer

Pippy1976 wrote: »
    Thanks a million - really appreciate that. I usually buy all my underwear / lingerie (whatever it's called!) from Figleaves on-line but again, they only do black, white and nude stockings.

I find tights quite, well, tight around the waist area and it just gets too darned hot between my legs - apologies if that's too graphic! Plus, I feel great when I wear stockings... it's like my little saucy secret! haha

I love stockings but would usually just keep them for em private wear! I'd be afraid people would see the tops of them when I sit down if I was to wear them to work. Fair play to you for having the confidence to pull it off :)

• Advertisement

That's funny, I was like you until a few months ago when I saw a very sophisticated lady wearing them to work. She looked like a barrister or something and I caught a glimpse of the top of the stocking as she was walking - discreet though.

With that in mind and the fact that I hate tights, I thought what the flip - I should give them a go. I wear skirts that wouldn't 'ride' up too much on the leg even when I sit down. Sometimes it happens but I'm quick to pull my skirt down and other times I just don't care!! Very liberating!

My partner likes them too which is BONUS time! Give them a go! It does take a while to get over the initial nerves but they're so comfy, I don't have problems with them moving as the ones I have are really high quality and the strips stay in place. Fabric they're made of is really luxurious too. Bought black ones in Dunnes but they're definitely inferior.
    I love stockings but would usually just keep them for em private wear! I'd be afraid people would see the tops of them when I sit down if I was to wear them to work. Fair play to you for having the confidence to pull it off :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

I've seen opaque ones in Dunnes and Pennys recently

What colours were they? I've got plenty of black already and certainly don't want nude or white!

Thinking more along the lines of dark green, mulberry, raspberry, navy colours.
    Orlee wrote: »
    I've seen opaque ones in Dunnes and Pennys recently

I'll give them a go :) Even if I just wore them with longer pencil skirts until I get comfortable.

Yay! You go girl... that's what I wear them with so no-one needs to know but me - guarantee you'll find them comfortable. Buy good quality ones though - they're worth the effort.

Woohoo!
    I'll give them a go :) Even if I just wore them with longer pencil skirts until I get comfortable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

I have stockings with the seam up the back - LOVE THEM! They are from Agent Provocateur.

I haven't bought from this website http://www.eveslegwear.co.uk but they have some lovely looking ones in different designs and colours.

Absolutely fantastic @Valentina ... exactly what I was looking for. Thank you so much - they even stock teal and aqua.

Amazing, thank you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 154 ✭✭ArtOfEscape

Haven't worn tights since leaving school 4 years ago - can't stand the things! Stockings all the way! :)

Thanks for the links all!

@ArtofEscape where do you buy yours?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

http://thetightspot.com/hold-ups

Just spotted this website too, some really nice ones there. I think these are my faves

Oroblu-milly-dotty-hold-up.jpg

Mine are almost all nude and black, and I usually get them in M&S. Actually Sainsburys do lovely nude stockings in packs of 3 (I think?) - super soft and comfortable, great for everyday. I always stock up when I'm up north! I use M&S suspender belts too, just plain and functional.

Top tip - put them in the freezer overnight when they're new and after each time you wash them, and they won't rip or run as easily ... crazy but true! ;)

Woohoo! A stocking revolution on our hands, I think.

@Valentina, that website you mentioned is FAB. I love the ones you posted.

@ArtofEscape, thank you for the top tip-- I'm always afraid of plucking mine. DISASTER!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

I wear stockings too, and usually buy coloured ones from mytights.co.uk or keep an eye out in TK MAXX, or eBay.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'm the same as you. I get SO paranoid people will see the tops and think I'm an awful hoor or something :o:o.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

How about these OP? Pricey but great quality :)

• Advertisement

Where would I get a nice suspender belt? The one I have is from la senza and it's nice but it's a little tight so wouldn't give me a good shape under clothes. I'm a size 10 on the bottom but I sometimes buy a bigger size in underwear so it doesn't give me lovehandles.

Can't wait to try some different stockings! :) I live in dresses and skirts for work and love different coloured tights so this should be fun!

Wow! Fab! I don't mind spending the money on something of good quality - it'll last the distance and you can always feel the quality of what you wear.

Thank you.
    Lola92 wrote: »
    How about these OP? Pricey but great quality :)

I'd try Agent Provocateur or my favourite, Figleaves.com. Again, a little bit more expensive than normal but underwear / lingerie is something we shouldn't scrimp and save on.... it should a girls treat to herself!

Also, Anne Summers is really good lately. I got a couple of gorgeous (non-hooker-type) bras in there. If you want kinky they're a great store but they do 'regular' really well too.
    Where would I get a nice suspender belt? The one I have is from la senza and it's nice but it's a little tight so wouldn't give me a good shape under clothes. I'm a size 10 on the bottom but I sometimes buy a bigger size in underwear so it doesn't give me lovehandles.

Can't wait to try some different stockings! :) I live in dresses and skirts for work and love different coloured tights so this should be fun!

Faith wrote: »
    I'm the same as you. I get SO paranoid people will see the tops and think I'm an awful hoor or something :o:o.

People seeing the tops it's really not that often and if they do, your dress/skirt is short enough for people to see "panty" line that some tights have.

I have fairly practical attitude towards hosiery and would wear anything that suits the occasion or the dress. I don't like hold ups under silk dresses because the adhesive elastic makes your tights a bit lumpy and I think tights that give you a bit of shape are much better. I'm size 10/12 and somebody slimmer wouldn't have those problems. But if you have something with a bit of pattern that has to be centered hold ups are much better. And under trousers I can't wear any of them and always wear good old ugly knee highs.

Where would I get a nice suspender belt?

M&S have nice ones for around €12 I think, just nude and black, plain but comfortable!

Www.worktights.ie have some fiore opaque hold ups in lovely different colours for about 8 euro each. Free delivery too :) I've ordered a couple of pairs in two different sizes. Once I know what size is best for me I'll get more. Excited now! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Faith wrote: »

Id love if people thought I was an awful hoor!

I hate tights because they ruin the line of a dress where they dig in at the waist.

meeeeh wrote: »

People seeing the tops it's really not that often and if they do, your dress/skirt is short enough for people to see "panty" line that some tights have.

I have fairly practical attitude towards hosiery and would wear anything that suits the occasion or the dress. I don't like hold ups under silk dresses because the adhesive elastic makes your tights a bit lumpy and I think tights that give you a bit of shape are much better. I'm size 10/12 and somebody slimmer wouldn't have those problems. But if you have something with a bit of pattern that has to be centered hold ups are much better. And under trousers I can't wear any of them and always wear good old ugly knee highs.

I find the elastic in hold ups can cut into my legs too and give a lumpy look so I've ordered a bigger size than I am. There's nothing worse than your underwear making you look lumpy and bumpy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

I find the elastic in hold ups can cut into my legs too and give a lumpy look so I've ordered a bigger size than I am. There's nothing worse than your underwear making you look lumpy and bumpy.

Yeah that can happen with holdups. For the same reason I buy knickers in big sizes (and tights).

• Advertisement

Yeah that can happen with holdups. For the same reason I buy knickers in big sizes (and tights).

Me too. I always go one size up with knickers or bikini bottoms to avoid the bulge.

Me too. I'm an 8 but would always buy 10 knickers - much more comfortable.
    Me too. I always go one size up with knickers or bikini bottoms to avoid the bulge.

I have a couple of vintage ones, I prefer the metal clasps to the cheaper plastic ones you get in M&S, etc. What Katie Did have a wonderful selection of vintage inspired lingerie.

What Katie Did have a wonderful selection of vintage inspired lingerie.

Wow, what a gorgeous website... thank you so much for sending THAT on. I must say, I'm new to buying lingerie and treating myself to pretty bits! I'm addicted already and all the sites mentioned are going to have me broke.

Lingerie (as opposed to underwear) is such a fabulous thing to spend your money on... often neglected, which is how I was 6 months ago. Now, I can't get enough.

I'm off on-line shopping @ What Katie Did....

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭pom pom snaz peeler

have you tried painting your legs.... i suggest crayola (stocking filler colour range). they wont fall down or crease..... and disappear in the shower post haste.

Ridiculous post and most unhelpful.
    have you tried painting your legs.... i suggest crayola (stocking filler colour range). they wont fall down or crease..... and disappear in the shower post haste.

• Advertisement

really..... oh im sooooooooooo sorry..... please forgive me!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Just report posts rather then dealing with them on-thread. Backseat modding is against the charter.
    really..... oh im sooooooooooo sorry..... please forgive me!

Pom Pom Snaz Peeler, do not post in this thread again. Please familiarise yourself with the forum charter. the next off topic or insulting post will results in an infraction or ban. Please take this as a warning.

Twee. wrote: »
    Just report posts rather then dealing with them on-thread. Backseat modding is against the charter.

Pom Pom Snaz Peeler, do not post in this thread again. Please familiarise yourself with the forum charter. the next off topic or insulting post will results in an infraction or ban. Please take this as a warning.

Twee. can you pint out where i was off topic or insulting? please

sorry, point out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Are suspender belts not visible under your clothes? I hate tights too and find hold-ups irritate my skin. I would love to try suspenders and stockings but think they would be visible.

Some great sites posted here!

• Advertisement

Are suspender belts not visible under your clothes? I hate tights too and find hold-ups irritate my skin. I would love to try suspenders and stockings but think they would be visible.

Some great sites posted here!

I've not worn them with tight skirts or dresses, but the belt itself generally sits around where the waistband of the the skirt would be, so its not obvious, but the straps themselves are designed to be worn comfortably and not to be visible

Advertisement