Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone got a Java book?

• 12-10-2012 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭

I want to learn Java and thought I'd ask on here if anyone has a book they've finished with gathering dust somewhere?

As its a tech book would have to be from the past year or two I suppose!

Would throw ya a few quid for your kindness, enough for a bag of taytos and a can of coke anyway :p

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Surely in this day and age you will find it in pdf form on the interweb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,871 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Would you give http://www.codecademy.com a try?
    Its interactive and you learn by doing. It has Java, Python, HTML and a lot more languages available to learn.
    I'm just getting into it now and must say its quite good and its free :D
    Free is always good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭say_who_now?

Joe I know books are handy for reference and all but there's a myriad of websites that'll teach you how to code in java and debug your work, teach you good programming practice (though I presume java isn't your first language?), but I hadn't picked up a book since I graduated from college lets just say way back, and I have a degree in software engineering but I've learned a multitude of languages since (VB, VC, java, .net, python, and on the web dev side I learned perl, PHP, CSS, javascript) from teaching myself and the resources available on the internet.

Actually if you really still wanted a book, you could do worse than tip down to the library in the Granary where I think when I was in there with my son I saw some books on java development and programming, and I'm often in o' Mahony's where the books unfortunately still cost a fortune, but no harm to have one just for reference sake, java isn't going anywhere for a long time yet... :)

pascal anyone? no? Ok then... :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Head on over to the Tech Forums on here, there are some great posters that will help you out in no time.

I did computer programming in college (many years ago) and I find that once you know 1 language fairly well you'll be able to get your head around most others fairly quickly (massive generalisation I know), check out the charity book shops as well as the google books range online, if you have a ereader you should be able to get loads of free options.

And say_who_how? I see your pascal and raise you COBOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

I see your COBOL And Raise you C++ :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭sioda

I see your cobol Pascal and raise you basic with a side of prolog.

@jordanius would lovea copy as well if you can

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭say_who_now?

Joe I think you might actually really be in luck here if I can pull this off, I was sitting in the bath here and I think I've quite literally had a eureka moment! :D

I was thinking about this thread and programming languages and what not when I remembered yesterday I got the usual crappy spam mail from linkedin, but one new appointment caught my eye- there's a friend of mine is after getting an appointment as a java developer out in UL! I had to check on the phone just to be sure and indeed I was right!

So she's probably bound to have some books and resources that you may find handy and perhaps I could even put her in touch with you because she's one of the nicest most helpful people you could meet! :)

I'll shoot off a mail now after I get out of the bath and see what comes of this. Hope I can work something out for you at least!

Advertisement