Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Tattoo Convention 2012

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

shed head wrote: »
    whats the story with this convention, will i do a tattoo for you etc (if you book in or whatever the procedure is) excuse my ignorance

No it's not a convention open for anyone to walk in off the street and start tattooing people. You or your studio have to book and pay for a stall and then people who want to get tattooed can book in with you to get tattooed over the weekend.

RE the price It is a bit steep, especially for someone who isn't getting tattooed. Add on a couple of pints to the €40 entry fee and it's an expensive weekend just to basically have a look at some tattoos. Not to mention if you are getting tattooed the cost of the tattoo on top of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

I know it's not quite the same scale but the Midleton tattoo festival this year was €10 in and it was ****e to be honest.

I understand the Dublin convention will attract bigger artists (probably) but €40 is extremely expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭dinorebel

So who's going? I'm hoping to get there for a few hours on sat evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Can't afford it. Tapped out this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I'll be there for a while on Saturday, getting some work done, but will have to limp off early as I've tickets booked for a play too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

Heading in for Demented are Go! on Saturday. Legendary psychobilly band that haven't played in Ireland in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭tread_softly

Booked in for 1pm on Saturday so will be there for the day, not sure yet if we're heading on Sunday

I'm booked in for 5, and into a play for 8... O_o

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Cookie_g

Which hotel is it in?

The flyer said the ballsbridge hotel but the website says the ballsbridge Inn?? :confused:

Unless they've changed venue, it's the D4 hotel:
    http://goo.gl/maps/p80Iq

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Cookie_g

Yeah it's the D4, now called the Ballsbridge Hotel!

Yeah it's the D4, now called the Ballsbridge Hotel!

That place changes names as often as I change my underwear!!!

Wait... no... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I won't be in attendance. Smashed this month and can't justify the entry fee!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

€40 entry is crazy.

keane2097 wrote: »
    €40 entry is crazy.
    That's for the weekend. 20 for one day.

Saw some crazily impressive portfolios today, and saw tread_softly and shimei get awesome tattoos Don! Got my Link piece finished! Delighted with it, but it's a bit red and bloody at the minute, will post a pic when it settles down!

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭feelpablo

so for people that attended the covention in any capacity over the weekend, how did ya's find it??

Only reason I ask is that there seems to be a fairly mixed bag of reactions towards it on facebook.

alot of the artists that i follow dont seem to be too happy about the price that was charged in and just the general running of it....booths lying empty, no real communication from the organisers etc.

I went 2 years ago and wasnt really impressed tbh... and i wouldnt make the trip form here again as it ends up being a reall expensive weekend before i would get ank work done.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭niallam

feelpablo wrote: »
    so for people that attended the covention in any capacity over the weekend, how did ya's find it??

Only reason I ask is that there seems to be a fairly mixed bag of reactions towards it on facebook.

alot of the artists that i follow dont seem to be too happy about the price that was charged in and just the general running of it....booths lying empty, no real communication from the organisers etc.

I went 2 years ago and wasnt really impressed tbh... and i wouldnt make the trip form here again as it ends up being a reall expensive weekend before i would get ank work done.

At the prices charged the organisers were doing it to make money, not for their love of tattoo's or bringing a good convention to lovers of ink.
    Rental of a room these days can be had for next to nothing, hotel was probably happy at a small fee and the sales they'd make at the bar, I guess the artists got charged too to attend the show. Rental of booths would have the dearest but that charge would have been charged to the artists more than likely.
    It wasn't a cheap weekend for any of the artists really, having to up shop and ensure a clean workplace for the weekend using all their own supplies I'm guessing.
    Word gets around about the cost of the weekend and next year there's no artists that will want to attend and with no artists there'll be no convention.

niallam wrote: »
    Rental of booths would have the dearest but that charge would have been charged to the artists more than likely.
    It wasn't a cheap weekend for any of the artists really, having to up shop and ensure a clean workplace for the weekend using all their own supplies I'm guessing.

The regular sized booths were €500 and the few bigger ones were €900.

Add that on top of travel costs for those artists coming from abroad and the poor showout over the weekend probably means that most of them didn't make much of a profit.

An amazing American artist that the OH always goes to only had himself as a booking before the weekend. After doing Mark's tattoo he did get a few small walk ups but that was it. Don't know how he fared the Sunday, but hopefully he made the trip worth his while.

Lots of the booths seemed empty for a good bit on Saturday if they hadn't made previous bookings. It was pretty disappointing.

I've gone to the convention the last few years as I really get a kick out of the atmosphere, the noise, the sneaky pint you can get away with while being tattooed ;)
    But this year was a complete flop. No nice vibe, very few people walking around compared to other years, lots of empty booths. Even the bar was very quiet unlike previous years.

Still, got a wonderful tattoo to show for it, but wonder if we'll be seeing an 11th year of the Dublin Tattoo Convention D:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Shame really, tattooing has never been so popular, and for the first time the convention sorta flops. Hopefully they take away that they have to organise it better, or somebody else just organises a better one.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭niallam

The regular sized booths were €500 and the few bigger ones were €900.

Add that on top of travel costs for those artists coming from abroad and the poor showout over the weekend probably means that most of them didn't make much of a profit.

Wow, they advertised that there were 34 artists/stands at it so minimum 34 x €500.
    Added to overpriced entry fee's. Anyone know what numbers were expected, 500, 1000, more???

Can be sure there was only 1 person/people making money from that weekend and it definately wasn't any of the artists.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

I was there Friday evening, Saturday from 2 until close and Sunday from 2:30 to 9. Sunday around 4/5 was the busiest time I saw. Overall it was a total bore.. I doubt I'll bother with it next year. Belfast is a great buzz. Also, the price tag on the door was insane and was a major factor in why most people I know that didn't go. 20 notes is far too much for a one day pass. The music was too one sided too, would be nice to see a rock/metal band playing since there is a large portion of attendees are into that kind of music.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

I've got a small few pictures from the Sunday on my Facebook if anybody fancies having a look.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152270255475191.937566.599775190&type=1

That scarification stuff that Kay does is horrible! I saw her do an infinite triangle thing on a lad on Saturday.. That's not true, I watched the first cut and walked away :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

That scarification stuff that Kay does is horrible! I saw her do an infinite triangle thing on a lad on Saturday.. That's not true, I watched the first cut and walked away :)

I love it! I'm getting her to slice me up soon :)

Adiboo wrote: »
    I love it! I'm getting her to slice me up soon :)

You're insane man! Gimme tattoos any day.

I was there when she started too! We were probably retching together :D

I was slightly tipsy and can't hack the sight of blood so had to keep convincing myself it was red ink..... ah yeah she was only using red ink D:

Couldn't put myself through that, really not my thing but I do appreciate the skill that goes into it!

I was there when she started too! We were probably retching together :D

I was slightly tipsy and can't hack the sight of blood so had to keep convincing myself it was red ink..... ah yeah she was only using red ink D:

Couldn't put myself through that, really not my thing but I do appreciate the skill that goes into it!

Haha, maybe one retch! I ran off straight away and left my mate standing there to watch. Although I came back to have another look, dunno how people sit through it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement