Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking in the city

Options
  • 12-10-2012 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭

Hey guys just started driving and as i'm living a good bit outside the city (west) i have a few ?'s about parking. If i was to come in to town for the day where could I leave my car all day? Is there free parking? I'm thinking tesco car park or the omniplex one across the road. Is that normal?

Can you leave your car there all day? If not, until what time. Is their a better option. Also if you were in town and ended up having a drink say and you had to leave the car over night is there overnight parking anywhere. Are the Pay & Display a free for all on weekends?

Thanks for the help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Flynn wrote: »
    Hey guys just started driving and as i'm living a good bit outside the city (west) i have a few ?'s about parking. If i was to come in to town for the day where could I leave my car all day? Is there free parking? I'm thinking tesco car park or the omniplex one across the road. Is that normal?

Can you leave your car there all day? If not, until what time. Is their a better option. Also if you were in town and ended up having a drink say and you had to leave the car over night is there overnight parking anywhere. Are the Pay & Display a free for all on weekends?

Thanks for the help!

http://www.galwaycity.ie/AllServices/RoadsandTraffic/ParkingintheCity/PublicCarParks/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Buck Fizz

Don't park in the Omniplex carpark as you'll be clamped straight away if they see you leaving the grounds! The Tesco carpark is much the same, but what I do is park the car there, go into the shopping centre for 2 mins and then walk into town just so I'm not seen walking straight from my car going into town. You get 3 hours free parking there. There's a guy who goes around with a little electronic thingy and he takes down all the reg numbers of each car so if the car is there over 3 hours and he notices it then you either get a ticket or clamp!

The only times the pay and display are "free for all" is after 6.30pm each day until 8am the following morning, exclusing Sunday which are free, except the ones down by the docks, they are owned by the people in charge of the docks whereas most of the other P&D areas are council owned!

So if you went into town on a Saturday eve and ended up having a few drinks then you could leave your car in a P&D area after 6.30pm and can pick it up at any stage then on Saturday.

The area at the back of the Cathedral do an all day parking charge, can't remember what the cost is, but the spaces are usually taken up fairly quickly!

It all depends really on what you have for doing in town (college, shopping etc) or for how long you'll be in there that will dictate where you can park!

You could park on the town side of the prom for free and walk the 10mins into town!

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Flynn

Buck Fizz wrote: »
    Don't park in the Omniplex carpark as you'll be clamped straight away if they see you leaving the grounds! The Tesco carpark is much the same, but what I do is park the car there, go into the shopping centre for 2 mins and then walk into town just so I'm not seen walking straight from my car going into town. You get 3 hours free parking there. There's a guy who goes around with a little electronic thingy and he takes down all the reg numbers of each car so if the car is there over 3 hours and he notices it then you either get a ticket or clamp!

The only times the pay and display are "free for all" is after 6.30pm each day until 8am the following morning, exclusing Sunday which are free, except the ones down by the docks, they are owned by the people in charge of the docks whereas most of the other P&D areas are council owned!

So if you went into town on a Saturday eve and ended up having a few drinks then you could leave your car in a P&D area after 6.30pm and can pick it up at any stage then on Saturday.

The area at the back of the Cathedral do an all day parking charge, can't remember what the cost is, but the spaces are usually taken up fairly quickly!

It all depends really on what you have for doing in town (college, shopping etc) or for how long you'll be in there that will dictate where you can park!

You could park on the town side of the prom for free and walk the 10mins into town!

Thank You! That's some very sound advice. I was thinking the salthill option but wasn't sure if the same parking rules applied. So you can leave your car on the prom for as long as you like at any time? I really don't mind a walk even if it was 20 minutes..

And thanks for the 3 hour limit heads up, had no idea :o

And cheers for the link Anto

Thank You! That's some very sound advice. I was thinking the salthill option but wasn't sure if the same parking rules applied. So you can leave your car on the prom for as long as you like at any time? I really don't mind a walk even if it was 20 minutes..

And thanks for the 3 hour limit heads up, had no idea :o

And cheers for the link Anto

Ya the prom is free at all times, but in the actual town of Salthill itself, it's P&D there! There's also a carpark for free on the prom beside the Aquarium, just make sure your car tax is up to date because the wardens are always going around there giving tickets for out of date tax!

Excellent, I think i'll be staying clear of the city where possible as i don't think my driving is up to squeezing into tight P&D areas yet so the prom or the aquarium car park it is.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

If you want to go down another route, there's a lot of elderly residents in town who flog on their rights to on-street parking. Some of them even go so far as to wage PR campaigns against illegal parking in order to protect their revenue stream.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I'll offter you an alternative map view of the parking areas:
    http://www.galwaytransport.info/2008/12/car-parks-in-galway-city-map-below.html

And a warning about the pay and display in the Dock Road area. It's not owned by the council, so the owners (otherwise known as Galway's largest parking company :) ) set the rules. In most of their areas, P&D applies 24x7.

So just to confirm, I could drive in to salthill on a saturday say lunch time, park in the car park by the aquarium and pick the car up any time the following day. Would it be safe over night?

So just to confirm, I could drive in to salthill on a saturday say lunch time, park in the car park by the aquarium and pick the car up any time the following day. Would it be safe over night?

Ya it'll be safe as houses there, no one will bother it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Your will be safeish beside the aquarium.

• Advertisement
Advertisement