Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Morning traffic in Rathfarnham

Options
  • 12-10-2012 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭

First of all i'm not sure if this belongs in Dublin Co South or Dublin city sub forum so feel free to move mods.

Basically I viewed an apartment in Rathfarnham village last night and was impressed. However I need access to M50 in the mornings.

Does anyone know what the traffic would be like in the mornings in the area, say between 8.00-8.30? Would I be going against the flow of traffic at that time of the morning, and how would the schools affect traffic?

The two routes I was thinking was along Butterfield Ave and then turn right towards Spawell roundabout or head towards Springfield Ave and out through Templeogue village? Which of these would be quicker? Does Templeogue village become a bit of a bottleneck in the mornings?

Any advice appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

Tempelogue is nothing compared to butterfield and all around rathfarnham sc it just doesn't move an inch adds so much unnecessary time to your journey its a nightmare avoid at all costs

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Manzoor14

Thanks all, look like I may keep looking for somewhere closer to M50 so!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Against the traffic is generally not too bad in the morning but it can vary. Some mornings will be fine, others you could spend 20 minutes in the traffic around Rathfarnham SC. Once you get to Templeogue village it's usually fairly clear then to the M50.

There is an alternative route which is a little longer, where you go up to junction 13 (instead of 12) via the Ballyboden road. It's longer, but the roads are much clearer than trying to get to junction 12, especially if you're leaving before 8am.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

I live in Rathfarnham near the village and getting to the M50 is not a problem. Go along Butterfield Ave, Turn right onto Old Bridge Road, Turn left at Templeogue Bridge, head on out through Spawell roundabout.

seamus wrote: »
    There is an alternative route which is a little longer, where you go up to junction 13 (instead of 12) via the Ballyboden road. It's longer, but the roads are much clearer than trying to get to junction 12, especially if you're leaving before 8am.

I was thinking of heading to Junc 11 or 12. Heading north so Junc 13 would be doubling back on myself a bit?
    ArielAtom wrote: »
    I live in Rathfarnham near the village and getting to the M50 is not a problem. Go along Butterfield Ave, Turn right onto Old Bridge Road, Turn left at Templeogue Bridge, head on out through Spawell roundabout.

This was another route I just looked at there. Timewise, say from the village to Junc 11 roundabout, what would be your average time? Also what time would you be travelling at?

Some saying to avoid altogether and some saying its no hassle, don't know which to believe!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

This was another route I just looked at there. Timewise, say from the village to Junc 11 roundabout, what would be your average time? Also what time would you be travelling at?

Some saying to avoid altogether and some saying its no hassle, don't know which to believe!![/QUOTE]

I leave at 7.45 and am in Ballymount @ 8.10 at the latest.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Manzoor14 wrote: »
    I was thinking of heading to Junc 11 or 12. Heading north so Junc 13 would be doubling back on myself a bit?
    Sorry, yes J13 would be ridiculous. The route I mention above is for J12.

ArielAtom wrote: »
    I leave at 7.45 and am in Ballymount @ 8.10 at the latest.

Not bad time, considering it again now. Would be tempted to drive it some morning next week to see but said i'd let them know by the weekend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

The only place you may get delayed at for a few minutes is on Butterfield Ave where you want to turn right onto Templeogue bridge. But it's never bad enough to be pulling your hair out. When you take the right turn just go up the bus lane as you will then be turning left onto the Tallaght Bypass

Otherwise it's fine. You are primarily going against all the traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

If you're in the village, I would consider using the R112 to get onto the N81?

• Advertisement
Advertisement