Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Competence Course

Options
  • 12-10-2012 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hey can some1 give details on the competence course in Cork, location, price duration etc
    Thanks D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Your local RFD will have all the info you need

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭DonnchaMc

Your local RFD will have all the info you need

Awesome thanks..

How much do they generally charge or is that like asking how long is a piece of string?

Not sure I do know in my local RFD if you buy your gun there they will do your coarse for free and you can walk in and do it for 30 euro. I also know places where it would cost 120-130euro for a day course but this would be exceptional good coarse.

Half day to a day at the most would be the coarse duration.

Not sure I do know in my local RFD if you buy your gun there they will do your coarse for free and you can walk in and do it for 30 euro. I also know places where it would cost 120-130euro for a day course but this would be exceptional good coarse.

Half day to a day at the most would be the coarse duration.

Very good thanks, appreciate the help

D

• Registered Users Posts: 19 mark.17hmr

DonnchaMc wrote: »
    Hey can some1 give details on the competence course in Cork, location, price duration etc
    Thanks D
    Jeffersports in Bandon does it on a wednesday night.. not sure how long it lasts.. Is costs about €25 AFAIK..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

It all depends on the type of firearm that you will be doing the course in.

For what it's worth. Spend the money and get ALL the information from an accredited instructor, eg NRA, or through the NASRPC Instructors.

A 30min "here ya go" jobbie just isn't enough time to make anybody COMPETENT in using a firearm.

Most people with a shred of common sense will know that.

Best of luck.
    LB6:D

Half an hour most certainly isn't enough I done a day course in hilltop and it was an excellent course but some lads have enough fire arms experience and just need the course to get there licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

The NRA Basic Shotgun Course is 8 hours and the Rifle course is longer. Both are well worth doing both for novices and experienced shooters alike.

It will be for 22.. i agree the longer and more informative the better but unfortunatly cost is an issue...

The father is retired army so he has always been very particular about proceedure and protocall when in the field, but in my opion (and his) you can never know enough..

Also if in a few years time i was to apply for a larger caliber rifle would I be required to do another course or does the 1course cover all rifles?

DonnchaMc wrote: »
    It will be for 22.. i agree the longer and more informative the better but unfortunatly cost is an issue...

The father is retired army so he has always been very particular about proceedure and protocall when in the field, but in my opion (and his) you can never know enough..

Also if in a few years time i was to apply for a larger caliber rifle would I be required to do another course or does the 1course cover all rifles?

You dad is right you can never know enough and you can never be safe enough

As far as I know the coarse is for rifle say not calibre and I think you only need to do the coarse once but I'm not a 100% on that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

Donncha.

Contact Albertus Valentyn (NRA) in Harbour House
    (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harbour-House-Sportsclub/200109510002187?ref=ts&fref=ts)
    Contact info
    Phone 086 383 7599 or
    Email derek.harbourhouse@gmail.com

and he could be able to help you out there.

:D

Cheers and thanks for the help..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭nhg

Any courses coming up in the Kilkenny area.

Waterford or Tipperary areas would be nearby as well.

Thank you

Advertisement