Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Admin Issues

Options
  • 12-10-2012 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭

Long story short- an administrator profile on the family computer was recently deleted leaving the three other files as administrators (I don't know whether this was intentional or automatic as I was not present when the profile was deleted).

Now, installing programs are no bother but deleting programs from the system is proving impossible because I need administrator approval BUT I AM THE ADMINISTRATOR. My only guess is that the computer is being lame and doesn't realise the old admin profile isn't there anymore.

How can I go about my business without being asked for more administrator approval?

And I've already tried using the Command Prompt to list me as administrator but as I said I already am (but I don't hold the power!!!).

I don't understand and this is becoming very annoying as the old McAfee keeps popping up asking me to renew it and I just want to delete it... :(

Please and thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Maybe this will ease your pain...

If you keep this account readily accessible from the Welcome screen of your family computer, make sure it is protected with a strong password.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Saw the thread title and was like..."what did I do???"

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭LazyClouds

Thanks Torqay but that didn't help, I was met with the same 'you don't have administrator permission to do this'...

HELP

And sorry Khannie for misleading you...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Download trinity rescue kit,boot the pc from the cd,select winpass the default setting will enable the hidden admin acc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Khannie wrote: »
    Saw the thread title and was like..."what did I do???"

For admin issues, please use the feedback board. :D

• Advertisement

Sorry for the extremely slow really, I've been busy.

Is that Trinity thing easy to use? I don't want to download something like that that I'll need to be a programmer to actually work it...

See, main problem is I just need to be able to delete some programs that keep popping up all the time looking to be renewed, is there anyway to get rid of them without running into administration difficulties?

Simple language would be awesome.

Thanks so much for the help so far!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

LazyClouds wrote: »
    Sorry for the extremely slow really, I've been busy.

Is that Trinity thing easy to use? I don't want to download something like that that I'll need to be a programmer to actually work it...

See, main problem is I just need to be able to delete some programs that keep popping up all the time looking to be renewed, is there anyway to get rid of them without running into administration difficulties?

Simple language would be awesome.

Thanks so much for the help so far!
    Yes it is simple enough to use http://trinityhome.org/Home/index.php?content=0.4_RESETTING_PASSWORDS&front_id=19&lang=en&locale=en boot the pc from the cd drive select windows password reset then option 1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

Or follow the instructions oh here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epXjR0sUZ2w to log in as system user and then do whatever you want..... 'cause it gives you superpowers :D

Thanks Firblog and mp22. But I'M AN IDIOT and when mp22 says 'boot the pc from the cd drive' my mind goes completely blank...
    And Firblog I looked at the video and it all seemed very promising until I entered the first part into the command prompt and met with this: "Warning: Due to security enhancements, this task will run at the time expected but not interactively. Use schtasks.exe utility if interactive task is required. Access is denied."

So now I'm getting annoyed at my stupid pc and so is the rest of my family...

Ok, the only programs I'm having trouble with (I can't delete ANY program but these are the ones I'm really getting annoying with) are Avast and Mcafee which keeping popping up on the screen 2 or 3 times a day asking me to renew them (which I don't want to do because I've got AVG now).
    How do I disable the alerts? (since deleting them is proving impossible)

• Advertisement

If you have burnt a copy of trinity rescue kit put it in the cd/dvd drive.turn off the pc-turn on the pc and hold down F12 at the same time.You should/might get a boot menu it will be in black and white If you get that far select the dvd drive as the boot device.(this is a one time use and will not effect the pc long term).
    If you are still struggling post up the make and model of your pc.

Advertisement