Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discussing people who aren't here to defend themselves

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

As if conventional media figures (via columns, radio etc) afford the right to reply to the objects of criticism.

It's called opinion.

What if Bill Cullen talks crap about unemployed people ion the Late Late? Is that wrong because everyone on the live register hasn't got the immediate right of reply?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

It struck me as a bit strange when that thread was closed since the poster in question still has an active account on this site and is more than capable of defending themselves, unlike all the celebrities and politicans who are discussed freely on this site. Ah well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

It struck me as a bit strange when that thread was closed since the poster in question still has an active account on this site and is more than capable of defending themselves, unlike all the celebrities and politicans who are discussed freely on this site. Ah well.

One would only have to defend themselves if they were being attacked. So there is another problem there regarding the whole "Attack the Post, not the Poster" thing. Which is main point on the discussion. There is no problem with questioning or disagreeing with someone's actions. The problem occurs when it's just abuse aimed at someone, which is generally regardless of them being a poster here or not. And that's all I believe that thread was setout to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

One would only have to defend themselves if they were being attacked. So there is another problem there regarding the whole "Attack the Post, not the Poster" thing. Which is main point on the discussion. There is no problem with questioning or disagreeing with someone's actions. The problem occurs when it's just abuse aimed at someone, which is generally regardless of them being a poster here or not. And that's all I believe that thread was setout to do.
    Good point.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I am still a member here and for the record, I sent out EIGHT PM's to friends here on boards.ie

Mod and administrators are free to check my PM account and verify this.

Those that say I'm mass PMing, are lying through their teeth.

The PM consisted of my reasons for being absent for a while and where I could be talked to by those friends.
    Once again I see certain usual people are trying to have a go at me by persisting with further untruths.

I have one constant internet boards.ie stalker on this forum and others who surround him like flies on something, who thank his posts every time he attacks, posts more lies, twists words and gets personal. They then often join in.
    He follows and finds my posts everywhere - turning each one into a personal and childishly bitchy attack where possible.
    I have reported this person consistently over many, many months and still they exist and still it seems still allowed persist.

I can only say that the matter is still being observed and I am grateful to those at the very highest level still observing quietly in the background, who are also in contact with myself.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Mods and admins can't check your PMs. Only PMs reported by people are made visible to admins only. Anything beyond that would require the tech staff to directly query the database and that usage of that time isn't done trivially.

Spear wrote: »
    Mods and admins can't check your PMs. Only PMs reported by people are made visible to admins only. Anything beyond that would require the tech staff to directly query the database and that usage of that time isn't done trivially.

The matter has gone to a level where this can be checked.
    The matter is no longer treated trivially.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Biggins wrote: »

It was a general point, a not specific to your case.

Spear wrote: »
    It was a general point, a not specific to your case.

Not a problem.
    You will have to trust much higher heads to verify some actual real and honest facts.
    The whole matter is being treated now very, very seriously.

I should also add that since I went quiet in After Hours where I usually was found, I also from that day completely deleted my total signature so that NO information was available visibly directly or by hint to any other sites, etc.
    Not exactly also the action of a mass spammer - but then the truth is out there also.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I am still a member here and for the record, I sent out EIGHT PM's to friends here on boards.ie

The PM consisted of my reasons for being absent for a while and where I could be talked to by those friends.
    Once again I see certain usual people are trying to have a go at me by persisting with further untruths.

I have one constant internet boards.ie stalker on this forum and others who surround him like flies on something, who thank his posts every time he attacks, posts more lies, twists words and gets personal. They then often join in.
    He follows and finds my posts everywhere - turning each one into a personal and childishly bitchy attack where possible.
    I have reported this person consistently over many, many months and still they exist and still it seems still allowed persist.

I can only say that the matter is still being observed and I am grateful to those at the very highest level still observing quietly in the background, who are also in contact with myself.
    Sounds a bit freaky to me, hope things work out for you in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Biggins we are aware of the situation as are the local Mods and CMods, but there's a whole lot of cloak and dagger stuff being suggested here by you that makes me quite uncomfortable. We are not checking anyone's PMs, no-one is under investigation, you are being treated with the same fairness that anyone else would and right now we are keeping an eye on things. No more, no less.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

I apologise for bringing the mass PM into the discussion when I was only going by what had been posted by others.

I hope you aren't including me in the group of people "trying to have a go at you"? This thread was about Discussing people who aren't here to defend themselves (and I admit it did get a bit derailed with the mass pm discussion). It wasn't a "Lets have a go at Biggins" thread. In fact I've looked backed through my post history and I don't think I've ever once respond to a post of yours (well until now!).

And maybe I've missed something, but to be honest apart from me questioning the mass pm I dont see anything close to someone "trying to have a go at me by persisting with further untruths" in this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

I know this seems dismissive but it seems the same stuff a lot of people have to deal with, and while it's not on, I'm not sure it's worthy of all the "highest level", "being taken very seriously" stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Madam_X wrote: »
    I know this seems dismissive but it seems the same stuff a lot of people have to deal with, and while it's not on, I'm not sure it's worthy of all the "highest level", "being taken very seriously" stuff.

Delusions of grandeur I think it's called.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

There's also the ignore button..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

This thread has moved from the general to the particular to the definite individual.

closing as I feel it has run its course.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement