Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving Gawlay to Ballon

Options
  • 12-10-2012 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'll be driving from Gawlay to Ballon this evening, leaving Oranmore at 5pm.
    Google maps says either M6 and N80 (Tullamore, Portlaoise etc.) or M6 and M9 (Naas, Newbridge etc.)

Anyone recommend one route over the other?

Thanks,
    Pa.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

dinneenp wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'll be driving from Gawlay to Ballon this evening, leaving Oranmore at 5pm.
    Google maps says either M6 and N80 (Tullamore, Portlaoise etc.) or M6 and M9 (Naas, Newbridge etc.)

Anyone recommend one route over the other?

Thanks,
    Pa.

There are more tolls on the M6 and M9 route. Only one on the other road.

The other route is shorter but the roads are crap especially from Tullamore to Carlow.

Tbh i'd stick to the M6 M9 route at this time of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

I would take the first route.Its shorter and will save petrol and should be a bit quicker.The roads after you turn off the motorway are not too bad.

If you do go the second route you dont need to go near Newbridge.

safe driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Slightly different option....go Tullamore >> Portarlington >> Monasterevin >> Athy >> Carlow instead of Tullamore >> Portlaoise >> Carlow

That's the way I always go - although I really hate the Monasterevin >> Athy part!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I'm leaning towards the motorway (M4)- easier driving, only a little bit longer.
    Is the Tullamore-Portlaoise route good road?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Motorway route was much better, slightly quicker.

• Advertisement
Advertisement