Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CSO report on public-private pay gap

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,508 ✭✭✭fliball123

kceire wrote: »
    No need to hand it back, i like my house :D
    What i do mean is that when my wages are cut again, my FIS will go up and thus continue to pay my mortgage.

Ahh k I misunderstood..Look KC I know your on the lower end of the PS scale...so once again I dont want guys who are not earning under 30k touched..Everyone is struggling..but like I asked frank on the tripod that sites the Irish economy that being what we pay in tax..the tripod of expenditure being banks bailouts , ps pay and pensions and socail welfare...Surely it would be fair to say we should and will tax more..We will be cutting welfare and the gov are working on trying to pay less for the banking fcuk up...So why should the other leg of the tripod in expenditure PS Pay and pensions not also be hit in the next 12 months

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

frankosw wrote: »
    I dont know what you mean by proof..i personally saw it happening for around a decade.

Graduates were by far the worst offenders closesly followed by older people "going back to work"..they just didnt feel it worth their while to get up in the morning for the sort of wages that they were being paid.

One friend of mine who was working in Oracle in Dublin told me i was on "Shiite money" and sneered at me before telling me how much money she was on.

Fast forward a few years and the exact same girl is telling me how she wishes she had a public sector job as all she can get is contract work....really? Well she had her chance and dint take it.

People just doent want to be responsible for thier own choices,they just have a need to point the finger and say "Cut them because i dont work there".

Again, kind of moot since the PS demanded and received benchmarking during the boom period. However you will have to forgive me if I feel that the unsubstantiated experience of an anonymous poster on a internet forum doesn't actually represent the whole of the PS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Would you indeed?

This is the Irish Economy forum not "what I would do if i was in charge of the country".

Its a discussion forum on the Irish economy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 809 ✭✭✭frankosw

[QUOTE=fliball123;81857668So why should the other leg of the tripod in expenditure PS Pay and pensions not also be hit in the next 12 months[/QUOTE]

Firstly because its protected by the PSA til 2014 and secondly because its not actually needed.

Firstly because its protected by the PSA til 2014 and secondly because its not actually needed.

It is needed whats not needed is one leg of our expenditure actually going up in increments ...Only someone wihtin the ps would say its not needed...in hours time another 2 million will be borrowed to pay this....its not needed..are you for real

fliball123 wrote: »
    It is needed whats not needed is one leg of our expenditure actually going up in increments ...Only someone wihtin the ps would say its not needed...in hours time another 2 million will be borrowed to pay this....its not needed..are you for real

Well the troika and the govt dont seem to think it is but then you seem to know better with your talk of "tripods" and "pots" into which money goes.

Well the troika and the govt dont seem to think it is but then you seem to know better with your talk of "tripods" and "pots" into which money goes.

Sorry last time I checked the IMF has told the gov that our Public serants are paid too well..and Brenner howling as of this morning has said the ps need to deliver another 1 billion in savings by the end of the cpa if it is to remain in tact...The basic fact is we are already over taxed and as seen by the household revolt there is not a lot of room to maneuver, so answer my question how would you bridge the deficit

Sorry last time I checked the IMF has told the gov that our Public serants are paid too well.

Check again and post the link where
    the IMF told the gov that our Public serants are paid too well.

.The basic fact is we are already over taxed and as seen by the household revolt there is not a lot of room to maneuver,

Sorry but what exactly is the "household revolt"?

Check again and post the link where

Sorry but what exactly is the "household revolt"?

http://trueeconomics.blogspot.ie/2012/06/1662012-imf-report-on-ireland-public.html

http://www.irishcentral.com/story/roots/ireland_calling/scandal-over-public-service-pensions-continues-as-imf-calls-time-on-state-workers--169445946.html

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0910/breaking33.html

a few different takes on ps pay and pensions there

The 40/45% of householders who have not paid the household tax...As I say and you keep dodging the question..How would you bridge the deficit...

The authorities’ approach, thus far, has helped keep industrial peace, protect frontline services, raise public sector productivity, and deliver agreed savings in a durable way

Thanks for backing up my point with your own stats :)

• Advertisement

Thanks for backing up my point with your own stats :)

The only reason why the ps wage has not been touched is due to the threat of industrial action..which is why the social welfare is an easy target for the likes of you...so thats all you got from the 3 links I provided...

The only reason why the ps wage has not been touched ..

But it has..all workers took a compulsary paycut a couple of years back.

Did you not know about it or does it not suit your ranting to mention it?

which is why the social welfare is an easy target for the likes of you.

And so it should be..its more than double what they pay in the UK and its more than enough to deter some people for bothering to look for work.

But it has..all workers took a compulsary paycut a couple of years back.

Did you not know about it or does it not suit your ranting to mention it?

Yeah a couple of years back..do you not realise the situation has deteriorated..and by your sense of getting a cut a few years back would mean by your logic we shouldn't have to pay more taxes as people have taken a hit in paying taxes year in year out over the last 5 years...same goes with social welfare and yet both of these will be hit in the upcoming budget....I am not ranting..I have asked you a number of times to provide some light on how you would bring the deficit back or do you think it is prudent to borrow 2 million an hour forever?

And so it should be..its more than double what they pay in the UK and its more than enough to deter some people for bothering to look for work.

I agree with you on social welfare but by your own admission they took a few cuts over the last few years so why should they be cut again?

While your doing the comparisons of social welfare with the UK do the same for the public sector pay and pensions..there is as big a gap in that as there is in social welfare..Your putting yourself into a corner here frank

Yeah a couple of years back..do you not realise the situation has deteriorated..and by your sense of getting a cut a few years back would mean by your logic we shouldn't have to pay more taxes as people have taken a hit in paying taxes year in year out over the last 5 years...same goes with social welfare and yet both of these will be hit in the upcoming budget.?
    .I am not ranting..

Oh but you are!

I have asked you a number of times to provide some light on how you would bring the deficit back

This thread isnt about that..you just picked it up and ran with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 PFI

Not some, many, I would say most of those on JA, especially with families and small kids don't even bother to look for oficially advertised jobs, opting instead for generous SW benefits and some unofficial full or part-time work, making living better than of the overtaxed working middle class families with kids, who curently barely survive under heavy tax load and extremely high child care/medical/transportation costs assosiated with employment.

While your doing the comparisons of social welfare with the UK do the same for the public sector pay and pensions..there is as big a gap in that as there is in social welfare..Your putting yourself into a corner here frank

Really?

I think you will find that there isnt.

Far too much money being given to people not to work in this country..what they do over there with SW makes far more sense.

• Advertisement

Oh but you are!

This thread isnt about that..you just picked it up and ran with it.

What ever Frank..have a look at the disparity between the UK and Ireland for public sector wages and get back to me...You pick arguments and then when your turned into a corner you deflect..I am waiting for a bleeding heart story about a nurse who works 20 hours a day in A&E blah blah...Anyone who thinks they are going to be immune to cuts while we are borrowing 2 million an hour is either deluded, crazy or just not looking at reality..take your pick Frank

PFI wrote: »
    Not some, many, I would say most of those on JA, especially with families and small kids don't even bother to look for oficially advertised jobs, opting instead for generous SW benefits and some unofficial full or part-time work, making living better than of the overtaxed working middle class families with kids, who curently barely survive under heavy tax load and extremely high child care/medical/transportation costs assosiated with employment.

I agree we are overpaying in social welfare in this country..but for a public servant to point to this and compare our social welfare to the uk and say that they took a cut over 2 years ago and when the same comparison is done with public sector pay with the uk there is the same differential and social welfare has taken the same cuts as the ps pay has over the last 5 years...yet the public sector worker (frank in this case) sees the social welfare as fair game and is outraged because of how high it is..and cannot understand why other people are looking at the public sector pay and pensions and looking for that to be cut...Talk about deflect and leave me alone cut everyone else FFS

I agree we are overpaying in social welfare in this country..but for a public servant to point to this and compare our social welfare to the uk and say that they took a cut over 2 years ago and when the same comparison is done with public sector pay with the uk there is the same differential and social welfare has taken the same cuts as the ps pay has over the last 5 years...yet the public sector worker (frank in this case) sees the social welfare as fair game and is outraged because of how high it is..and cannot understand why other people are looking at the public sector pay and pensions and looking for that to be cut...Talk about deflect and leave me alone cut everyone else FFS

You see the difference is that the PS workers actually go to work in the mornings and actually work in thier jobs throughout the day.

This is the reason that they actually get paid...you work,you recieve wages.

The people who dont work still get paid wages and in many cases have a better lifestyle than those who work and yet do nothing to earn it.

As for this bit:
    sees the social welfare as fair game and is outraged because of how high it is..and cannot understand why other people are looking at the public sector pay and pensions and looking for that to be cut...

This is the sort of thing you only ever hear from people on the dole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Celticfire

...Talk about deflect and leave me alone cut everyone else FFS

LOL...... that's all you've ever advocated...

Really?

I think you will find that there isnt.

Far too much money being given to people not to work in this country..what they do over there with SW makes far more sense.

See this is where I differ with you..Only someone in a guaranteed job for life and guaranteed pension can say that..Yet you ignore the fact that 5 private sector companies from the start of 2010 to date have gone to the wall...These people who were employed in these companies..lost everything and didnt have a gold plated pension, a golden handshake or the over the top top ups of above the statutory 2 weeks a year redundancy..And you have the fcuking gall to try to kick them while they are down and try to defend yourself...How dare you...I have no truck saying that I do think it is overpaid and we should be going German style where if a person isnt working for 6 months they get the dole cut..but there are very few jobs out there Frank...You gave a criteria for the dole to be cut it is high when compared to our nearest neighbor and then when its pointed out that your wage is just as high when compared you come out with this b0ll0x ... Shame on you Frank...have a look at ps pay and penions in the uk and compare to ireland and come back to me and then have a think about which country is in the mire...

See this is where I differ with you..Only someone in a guaranteed job for life and guaranteed pension can say that..Yet you ignore the fact that 5 private sector companies from the start of 2010 to date have gone to the wall...These people who were employed in these companies..lost everything and didnt have a gold plated pension, a golden handshake or the over the top top ups of above the statutory 2 weeks a year redundancy..And you have the fcuking gall to try to kick them while they are down and try to defend yourself...How dare you...I have no truck saying that I do think it is overpaid and we should be going German style where if a person isnt working for 6 months they get the dole cut..but there are very few jobs out there Frank...You gave a criteria for the dole to be cut it is high when compared to our nearest neighbor and then when its pointed out that your wage is just as high when compared you come out with this b0ll0x ... Shame on you Frank...have a look at ps pay and penions in the uk and compare to ireland and come back to me and then have a think about which country is in the mire...

Too much money being wasted on the dole..its so high its a disinsentive for people to go looking for work.

• Advertisement

You see the difference is that the PS workers actually go to work in the mornings and actually work in thier jobs throughout the day.

This is the reason that they actually get paid...you work,you recieve wages.

The people who dont work still get paid wages and in many cases have a better lifestyle than those who work and yet do nothing to earn it.

As for this bit:

This is the sort of thing you only ever hear from people on the dole.

So what if you go to work in the morning..why should I pay you so much more to do so than people working in the public sector up in northern Ireland..why are you so special Frank?

As for your last quip..I have not been on the dole for last 20 years.. I work Frank. I work in the private sector..the people that pay for your over inflated wage...and what I have a problem with is you attacking people who used to pay your wage and due to the down turn see their jobs disappear and you want to hit them and yet you have a l'oriel attitude to your own wage and cant understand why people are saying you need to be cut again. You cant have it both ways..the 2 costs currently are unaffordable but only one has a ridiculous agreement and a treat of industrial action to keep them at the trough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,292 ✭✭✭jh79

well done for keeping a job you can't be fired from, frankosw

Celticfire wrote: »
    LOL...... that's all you've ever advocated...

Really I have stated we need to pay more in tax numerous times.. which will impact on my earnings...

So what if you go to work in the morning..why should I pay you so much more to do so than people working in the public sector up in northern Ireland..why are you so special Frank?

As for your last quip..I have not been on the dole for last 20 years.. I work Frank. I work in the private sector..the people that pay for your over inflated wage...and what I have a problem with is you attacking people who used to pay your wage and due to the down turn see their jobs disappear and you want to hit them and yet you have a l'oriel attitude to your own wage and cant understand why people are saying you need to be cut again. You cant have it both ways..the 2 costs currently are unaffordable but only one has a ridiculous agreement and a treat of industrial action to keep them at the trough

So you can attack him because you perceive that you pay his wage.... but he can't do the same to whom he perceives he's giving money to... Illogical

Too much money being wasted on the dole..its so high its a disinsentive for people to go looking for work.

I agree ...But there is also too much money ring fenced for salaries within departments within the public sector like education and health..where over 70% is spent on salaries..and due to the CPA cannot be touched and therefore forcing cuts to SNAs, increased class sizes and the likes..So in other words the services being provided to me for my taxes which has increased year in year out over the last 5 years continues to diminish and yet I will be paying more in tax this year...

• Advertisement

So you can attack him because you perceive that you pay his wage.... but he can't do the same to whom he perceives he's giving money to... Illogical

No I attack him as he thinks people on the dole are fair game and he thinks his wage should only go upwards...I have agreed with him on the dole but at the same time I think he has a cheek wanting them to be cut while his wage is left alone...My taxes pay for both by the way...

Well this isnt "northern ireland" is it?

Perhaps you could get a job up there and you wont have to pay the PS quite so much from yoru hard-earned salary..no doubt private sector salaries are comparable too?

Well this isnt "northern ireland" is it?

Perhaps you could get a job up there and you wont have to pay the PS quite so much from yoru hard-earned salary..no doubt private sector salaries are comparable too?

Yet your comfortable compaing the dole rates with the uk which includes northern Ireland..Good man...What does the private sector have to do with it...You should be wishing for a more vibrant private sector so we can get the money in to pay your wage.. I dont know of any private sector company in the world paying pay rises while borrowing 2 million an hour Frank

I agree ...But there is also too much money ring fenced for salaries within departments within the public sector like education and health..where over 70% is spent on salaries..and due to the CPA cannot be touched and therefore forcing cuts to SNAs, increased class sizes and the likes..So in other words the services being provided to me for my taxes which has increased year in year out over the last 5 years continues to diminish and yet I will be paying more in tax this year...

Welcome to a recession and progressive mismanagement of tax revnue by the govt,reckless lending by the banks and dishonesty and corruption in the building and dedelopment sectors.

Welcome also to the debt of the bondholders becoming the burden of the taxpayer.

Welcome to unchecked immigration into this country,a massive asylum-seeker backlog and the welfare system as lifestyle choice.

Perhaps you didnt know any of this and preffered to think it was exclusively the fault of the PS?

I dont know of any private sector company in the world paying pay rises while borrowing 2 million an hour Frank

AIB would be a good example...or Anglo.

Mind you the private sector is badly underperforming..they've shot themselves in the foot through greed and are now looking towards PS companies like Enterprise Ireland and the IDA to come help them out.

The Irony is quiet delicious.

Really I have stated we need to pay more in tax numerous times.. which will impact on my earnings...

I must have blinked when you advocated paying more tax. I thought you said we were at the point of diminishing returns.
    .So in other words the services being provided to me for my taxes which has increased year in year out over the last 5 years continues to diminish and yet I will be paying more in tax this year...

Me Me Me again.. We all are paying more taxes .And funnily enough these things affect everyone not just you.

No I attack him as he thinks people on the dole are fair game and he thinks his wage should only go upwards...I have agreed with him on the dole but at the same time I think he has a cheek wanting them to be cut while his wage is left alone...My taxes pay for both by the way...

I think you have some cheek to tell him he's overpaid when you have no Idea what he does.
    A least he's working for his money. It's pretty disheartening to be working and seeing someone get almost the same amount through social welfare and other benefits.

Welcome to a recession and progressive mismanagement of tax revnue by the govt,reckless lending by the banks and dishonesty and corruption in the building and dedelopment sectors.

Welcome also to the debt of the bondholders becoming the burden of the taxpayer.

Welcome to unchecked immigration into this country,a massive asylum-seeker backlog and the welfare system as lifestyle choice.

Perhaps you didnt know any of this and preffered to think it was exclusively the fault of the PS?

bondholders banks and devalopers cause under 1/3rd of the problem we are in..the other 2/3rds is from overpaying our public sector and social welfare..These figures have been done to death on boards...And why do you continue to deflect I have agreed with you with regard to social welfare..we cannot afford it given our present circumstances...but the same goes with the current level of public sector pay and pensions...dont bother deflecting to welfare I will underline and bold it I agree we are paying too much for this aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 13 PFI

As our economy build up around export-oriented private MNCs and this segment generates most of the wealth and foreign currency for our economy, our remuneration system should be build up in the same way: the highest salaries should be in private export-oriented sector, while all the rest should have a lower pay. I mean all, including the public sector/quangos/state-controlled organisations (banks, etc). However it is not the case at the moment. So, I agree that should be further significant reductions in JA (jobseeker’s allowance) and salaries in public sector/quangos/state-controlled organisations (banks, etc). In case of JA it should be limited to the maximum of 3 years in a row, with a maximum of 10 years over life. Medical cards, education (they all take multiple courses but never go to work afterwards), and child care should be removed, together with remouval of child benefits. They should receive only 2 benefits in total: rental assistance (if qualify) and main benefit, which should be reduced downwards. In case of public sector/quangos/state-controlled organisations (banks, etc) remuneration caps should be imposed (specialists and middle management at 80-100K a year and top management at 120k a year), as well as the caps on their pensions (i.e. no more than 2.5-3 times of the basic state pension for private sector employees). At the same time our tax system should also undergo substantial reforms, reducing the number of personal taxes to one, increasing the number of tax rates and moving them upwards, removing tax credits, etc.

AIB would be a good example...or Anglo.

Mind you the private sector is badly underperforming..they've shot themselves in the foot through greed and are now looking towards PS companies like Enterprise Ireland and the IDA to come help them out.

The Irony is quiet delicious.

And Frank I agree with the banks but who made the decision to make them state banks effectively. Who was suppsed to be watching over them???..The private sector is being throttled Frank...You want people to pay more in tax and then dont understand why people on the dole would not go out and take a low paying job and work when they know how much in tax they will be paying...

I must have blinked when you advocated paying more tax. I thought you said we were at the point of diminishing returns.

Me Me Me again.. We all are paying more taxes .And funnily enough these things affect everyone not just you.

I think you have some cheek to tell him he's overpaid when you have no Idea what he does.
    A least he's working for his money. It's pretty disheartening to be working and seeing someone get almost the same amount through social welfare and other benefits.

I believe we are past that point but the deficit is still huge and I dont for one second think it would be fair to just cut..and he is overpaid...and its disheartening to see all other areas in the ecconomy being cut and then seeing the public servants getting pay rises

• Advertisement

..and he is overpaid.

How do you know what i get paid?

You dont even know what i work at.

...and its disheartening to see all other areas in the ecconomy being cut

Like what exactly?

The only area that was definately cut,without and shadow of a doubt that was 100% without question that was cut was PS pay.

Can you link to how "all other areas of the economy" are being cut..all i can see are payrises and price increases.

... and then seeing the public servants getting pay rises

Which pay rises are these?

The yearly increments that are part of thier salaries,that are factored into any govt and IMF equations on wage bills?

These are pay rises how?

How do you know what i get paid?

You dont even know what i work at.

Like what exactly?

The only area that was definately cut,without and shadow of a doubt that was 100% without question that was cut was PS pay.

Can you link to how "all other areas of the economy" are being cut..all i can see are payrises and price increases.

Which pay rises are these?

The yearly increments that are part of thier salaries,that are factored into any govt and IMF equations on wage bills?

These are pay rises how?

Ok what do you work at Frank?

PS pay cut was 2 years ago Frank?

So you have not heard about SNAs being cut, disability being cut, the kites been flown that childrens allowence will be cut. Hows about cuts to private sector pension tax reliefs..It was bad enough people trying to put money by for that...now its even less affordable..but we can sleep sound at night knowing our taxes will cover the shortfall for the public sector pensions.. What about increases in class sizes, Hospitals being closed down. Or hows about year in year out my taxes going up that cuts my take home pay. What about the 5 companies that have gone to the wall per week since the start of 2010 frank, what about the cuts they have faced..And even with your one shining example of how bad the private sector is being the banks...all of them have or will be making redundancies... Is that enough for you Frank. Do you want to link you to the past 5 budgets?? As for your increments..this money which is gauged to be about 1/4 of a billion each year has to be got from somewhere is in addition to the wage that is being paid..The person being paid it goes up in both gross and net take home pay ..There for it is a pay raise...You guys crack me up with this and then have the sheer cheek to say that the pension levy is a pay cut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

So you have not heard about SNAs being cut, disability being cut, the kites been flown that childrens allowence will be cut. Hows about cuts to private sector pension tax reliefs..It was bad enough people trying to put money by for that...now its even less affordable..but we can sleep sound at night knowing our taxes will cover the shortfall for the public sector pensions.. What about increases in class sizes, Hospitals being closed down. Or hows about year in year out my taxes going up that cuts my take home pay. What about the 5 companies that have gone to the wall per week since the start of 2010 frank, what about the cuts they have faced..And even with your one shining example of how bad the private sector is being the banks...all of them have or will be making redundancies... Is that enough for you Frank. Do you want to link you to the past 5 budgets?? As for your increments..this money which is gauged to be about 1/4 of a billion each year has to be got from somewhere is in addition to the wage that is being paid..The person being paid it goes up in both gross and net take home pay ..There for it is a pay raise...You guys crack me up with this and then have the sheer cheek to say that the pension levy is a pay cut.

Solid wall of text has offended my eyes! :(

Solid wall of text has offended my eyes! :(

No one asked you to look

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

No one asked you to look

Now now dont be like that, no one asked you to type it either!

Now now dont be like that, no one asked you to type it either!

lol good man Robbie give yourself an increment...its good to see your not in bad form these days :)

They didnt teach you to type in the Private Sector did they?

They didnt teach you to type in the Private Sector did they?

attack the post not the poster frank and if I was working into public sector I would probably get an increment or offered to go early for my pension :)

attack the post not the poster frank and if I was working into public sector I would probably get an increment or offered to go early for my pension :)

You Reckon?

• Advertisement

You seem to spend long enough rattling away on boards..must be quiet today.

No Frank off today...what about yourself? are you dossing while I pay your wage?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement