Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Statement Narrative / Visa Debit Foreign Transactions

Options
  • 12-10-2012 12:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭

Something I've been noticing on the BOI statements, for any Visa Debit transactions abroad, say the US for example, the merchant or transaction detail never appears on statements.

Makes it impossible to track useage if I can't identify valid transactions and try spot anything untoward.

For example, if I book a hotel in the US on BoI Visa Debit, the following narrative appears;
    POS3009US 87.00 @ 1.22431

That's it, no description, nothing!

Do this four or five times in quick succession and you quickly lose track of what's what. It could be weeks or months by the time somebody realises they've been defrauded, surely it wouldn't be hard for BOI to add some basic or even abbreviated narrative?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Linda

Hi Savman,
    The details on Visa Debit transactions come through to a customer's account in the same way as Laser transactions. The details update when the retailer processes the transaction. This is why some transactions appear more quickly than others.

When details come from a retailer we will update a customers account, we have no control over which details a retailer will send us.

I hope this answers your question.
    Thanks
    Linda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

I don't think you're quite grasping me here Linda, the information never shows at all. I'm going back 3-4 months and going through eStatements that have been issued, no detail for any foreign transactions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Billy

Hi Savman,

Thanks for posting.

The information displayed on Visa Debit transactions abroad is the same information that was displayed for Laser Cards.

If you need information on any transaction on your account, please call Banking 365 on 0818 365 365/ 00 353 1 4044000 and a representative will be happy to offer assistance.

Representative assisted hours are 8am - 12pm Monday to Friday and 9am - 6pm Saturday, Sunday and Holidays.

I have passed your feedback to the relevant department.

Thanks

Billy

Advertisement