Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wild camping private forum request

Options
  • 12-10-2012 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭

Some of you survivalists may be interested in this. You never know when you might be glad of a good place to camp out.

I've put in a request for a private forum on wild camping.

Briefly, wild campers are very careful about sharing their camping locations, and they are reluctant to do so over the net. Therefore a private forum would be useful for wild campers who are willing to exchange their info with a limited audience of genuinely interested people.

According to the forum requests rules, thanks (whilst appreciated) don't count as votes.

If you are in favour, please hit the link and give this a +1.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056778549

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

The criteria for hosted private forums are different from normal forums. Pretty sure I can just "make this happen". I'd be wary of it being exclusionary though. I mean obviously I'll be able to see the contents of the forum by virtue of being an admin, but what about other, helpful regulars of this forum? How do you decide who gets in?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Khannie wrote: »
    The criteria for hosted private forums are different from normal forums. Pretty sure I can just "make this happen". I'd be wary of it being exclusionary though. I mean obviously I'll be able to see the contents of the forum by virtue of being an admin, but what about other, helpful regulars of this forum? How do you decide who gets in?

That's a good question and I don't have a comprehensive answer just yet.

This has to be exclusionary or it just won't work at all. Genuine posters are very unlikely to contribute unless it's a private forum.

I've seen a number of posts over a number of years where people have mentioned that they won't give details out on boards.ie. It's understandable, really.

How does one decide who gets in? Well, as an opener, I would suggest that someone should have a minimum of 50 posts (like the soccer forum), must be a subscriber of boards.ie for at least 6 months, must have least 5 posts in Outdoor Pursuits or Survivalism & Self-Sufficiency (or a combination of the two), must express an interest in wild camping and a willingness to share locations of wild camping locations.

Thereafter, there should probably be a probationary period of maybe six months, during which subscribers would be expected to demonstrate their genuineness by posting at least one new camping location, not previously discussed.

If anyone else wants to suggest more appropriate criteria than that, I'm interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I would be OK with those criteria. If anything I might be more strict (20 posts minimum in either forum for example) I understand that it has to be somewhat exclusionary or else it becomes public. :)

I'm interested in camping and would be happy to share any new sites, but as a relative newbie might not be able to contribute a new site within 6 months. Again this is moot for me because I'll be able to see it all anyway. :D You get my drift though. It's more of a heads up.

I'll have to run this past the other admins but I'm confident there would be no issues since it's a private hosted forum. Probably two weeks to turn around (I have a sporting competition next Saturday so I'm busy at the moment and will be busy recovering after it :)).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Why not start a private social group?

I would be OK with those criteria. If anything I might be more strict (20 posts minimum in either forum for example) I understand that it has to be somewhat exclusionary or else it becomes public. :)

Sounds reasonable.
    I'm interested in camping and would be happy to share any new sites, but as a relative newbie might not be able to contribute a new site within 6 months. Again this is moot for me because I'll be able to see it all anyway. :D You get my drift though. It's more of a heads up.

It's not difficult to do, it just involves work! For someone who gets out and about a lot, they can observe new spots more regularly than most. For people like myself, who don't get out as often as they intend, they need to scour the OS maps for possibilities, and then get out there and check to see how suitable those spots are on the ground. I don't know how many places looked great on the map, but were way too wet or boggy.
    I'll have to run this past the other admins but I'm confident there would be no issues since it's a private hosted forum. Probably two weeks to turn around (I have a sporting competition next Saturday so I'm busy at the moment and will be busy recovering after it :)).

I think the rules say that it'll take six weeks anyway, before the tally is counted as to yea or nay.

• Advertisement

Sharrow wrote: »

Hellfireclub (on a different thread in Outdoor Pursuits) suggested a private discussion.

He set one up about 15 minutes ago.

I suppose we will be able to see if it's feasible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Private social group's are a PITA to admin and post etc, a forum is much better imo

Maybe it could be invite only as well as having the criteria posted above

Like if someone was posting about private areas, they could be discussed in the Private froum by members and decided if they qualified for entry?

I'd love if this forum was created... I like to get away with the gf as much as possible, and would much rather be off the track!

My brother also has a massive interest in this and has a lot of good spots under his belt :)

Tallon wrote: »
    Private social group's are a PITA to admin and post etc, a forum is much better imo
    It's a bit of a learning curve for me. I really know very little about these things yet. All info and pointers appreciated.
    Maybe it could be invite only as well as having the criteria posted above
    Not a bad idea. I wonder if anyone else is in favour of this.
    Like if someone was posting about private areas, they could be discussed in the Private froum by members and decided if they qualified for entry?
    That would show genuine interest alright. I'd hate to have to force people to publish that info for everyone to see, though. Is there a way to modify this to gauge the person's intention without broadcasting his information?
    I'd love if this forum was created... I like to get away with the gf as much as possible, and would much rather be off the track!
    So many women refuse to go camping. You'd better hang on to that one!
    My brother also has a massive interest in this and has a lot of good spots under his belt :)
    Sounds promising!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Can we get some sort of a motion that anyone who blabs has unpleasant things done regarding throats, tongues, roots, and rough sands of the sea?

Its admittedly a bit of a step up from a banning but no point in slobbering around I always say.

We'll show them super sikrit surfers how its done.

:D

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Can we get some sort of a motion that anyone who blabs has unpleasant things done regarding throats, tongues, roots, and rough sands of the sea?

Its admittedly a bit of a step up from a banning but no point in slobbering around I always say.

I'll second that. Sounds fair, and not a little masonic.

And may they be burned with the heat of a thousand suns.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,246 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Doc Ruby wrote: »

no fair rabble rabble!! :p

Think this is a great idea The Mustard, love to get out wild camping when I get the chance. Having a place to chat about sites and such would be fantastic.

Sharrow wrote: »

Sharrow, I looked into this.

Briefly, I think that it would be better to try to get a forum going for this, rather than a social group.

Reasons given on the parallel 'drumming up support' thread on Outdoor Pursuits. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056773227

Looking for more support. Anyone who is interested in the wild camping forum, please follow the link in my sig and give a +1 vote.

Thanks for the support so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 weeda

I would be concerned about this.

On one hand it would be good to hear of other wild camp spots But isn't part of wild camping doing the research and finding great place for your self? Thats how my bf and 2 kids do it.

The concern is reasonable.

On the other hand, it is more difficult to find good spots in this country, than say, Australia or the USA. Ireland is a small country with few areas that are truly remote.

When you find a good wild camping spot in Ireland, you tend to keep it to yourself and not share it, in case it gets wrecked or used by beer-drinking youths.

Therefore, the forum request is for a private forum with entry criteria.

You can see a more detailed discussion on this in the link in my sig.

Advertisement