Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College application query

Options
  • 12-10-2012 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hey guys just a question about the application process in relation to my own circumstances.

I am a 22 year old bloke, 23 this November and I have been on Disability allowance for about two and a half years. I am looking to apply to get back into education for the 2013 year onward but I am unsure what the best way to go about this is. Do I apply as a mature student or someone with a disability or can it be both?

Are there other access routes for someone in my position or is it a direct CAO application? Will I be able to keep my DA or get something of equivalent value? And would the fact I failed a PLC due to health reasons a few years ago detract from my application. Should I even mention it? I should also mention I had a weak leaving cert due to missing a great deal of senior cycle due to health issues. I have a leaving but not a great one.

Apologies for the wall of text but now that I am almost 23 and a good deal healthier its something I really want to sort out. Been idle too long and its no good for me.
    Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Korasa wrote: »
    Hey guys just a question about the application process in relation to my own circumstances.

I am a 22 year old bloke, 23 this November and I have been on Disability allowance for about two and a half years. I am looking to apply to get back into education for the 2013 year onward but I am unsure what the best way to go about this is. Do I apply as a mature student or someone with a disability or can it be both?

Hi Korasa,
    If you are aged 23 by Jan 1st then usually colleges will process you as a mature student. The DARE route (Disability) is only an option for people aged under 23.
    Are there other access routes for someone in my position or is it a direct CAO application?

Depends on the course and college. Most colleges require a mature applicant to apply via CAO, some ask you to apply directly to the college and some ask you to submit both a CAO and a Direct application. The best thing to do is to identify the third level courses you want to apply for and then check out the application process that would relate to you.

You can check into all third level college courses via the National Courses database: http://www.qualifax.ie
    Will I be able to keep my DA or get something of equivalent value?

There is a proviso in Social Welfare for a person to retain their Disability payment while attending college. I'm not sure what categories of disability payment it applies to so check with DSP.

It would be a good idea to try and keep your DA rather than moving on to the Back to Education Allowance as if you keep the DA you can also apply for both the Fee AND Maintenance grant from SUSI. If you move off DA and onto BTEA you can only apply for the fee grant. You could also lose your free travel etc.

And would the fact I failed a PLC due to health reasons a few years ago detract from my application. Should I even mention it? I should also mention I had a weak leaving cert due to missing a great deal of senior cycle due to health issues. I have a leaving but not a great one.

Generally, as long as you are confident that your health has genuinely improved and that you would be able to participate, colleges wont hold it against you. Unanticipated stuff happens in peoples lives and most third level colleges have Disability support offices for people who may need additional support during their education.
    Apologies for the wall of text but now that I am almost 23 and a good deal healthier its something I really want to sort out. Been idle too long and its no good for me.
    Cheers.

Best of luck with it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Korasa

Thanks a million for the reply. Seems I have a few things to take care of but it's a load of weight off my mind as this is all new to me and I was kind of stressing out about the whole thing. Looking forward to it though. Thanks again.
    Regards
    Korasa

Advertisement