Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gadget impulse buy - 2m USB borescope/endoscope

• 12-10-2012 2:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭

Just thought I'd throw this out there, since I never saw these on sale before. Mine just arrived yesterday.

$15.89 for a 2 metre borescope / endoscope.

Basically a 640x480 usb webcam.

Now I doubt it's rated for medical applications, so I wouldn't start performing your own colonoscopies with it ! :eek:

But, it could be used to see awkward parts of car engines, drop it behind plasterboard walls to check for leaks, a cheap external webcam, drill a hole in a door and use it as a front door security camera.

I love the fact that the 4 white LED lights are manually controlled on a scroll wheel at the other end of the cable, so you can disable the lights as necessary.

BuyInCoins Link

Edit: Just another note, the lense is not a fisheye lens, ie. it doesn't distort the image.
    I pointed it out the window into the distance and it's still a true image like a normal webcam.

regards,
    CD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Potchumkin

Sure sounds like fun! ....... drains inspection from a laptop ........... just what I needed a few years ago. I'll keep an eye on the site to see if they offer they offer the 7 or 10 meter versions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Cool.. :)

After Potchumkin posted, i decided to have a quick look around..

Aliexpress

Ebay

Banggood

All roughly €24

There's also a 20m version for €40 which may be a bit extreme.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,343 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

don't forget you can usually get a few % off with a coupon

if all else fails you can get 5% off by using any number of recommenders

How wide is it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

don't forget you can usually get a few % off with a coupon

if all else fails you can get 5% off by using any number of recommenders

How wide is it ?

Yeah, Banggood offer $3 for a referral, and When you invite someone, you invite them with a $10 Gift Card ............ which they can use when they spend over $100 :(

Although, 10 friends = Free borescope.
    It couldn't be too hard to get 10 emails.. ;) Aahh, just noticed, they have to spend $20.. :(
    Each time you refer a new friend to Banggood and they register using your unique referral link, you'll receive a $3 credit after they've made their total purchase over 20 dollar on our site. Your credit will be issued once their item(s) is shipped. There are no limits to how many friends you may refer, or the number of $3 credits your account may be credited.

Also, if you went for the 20m version on aliexpress, the code FREECOUPON0914 gets €5 off purchases over €50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

How wide is it ?

The tip is roughly the width of a pen, and the cable is slightly thinner. ( maybe the width of standard PC usb cable )

If you look at my original link, you'll see a nice comparison of the size of boths ends, with the standard usb connector end for a sense of scale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

I take it the cable is just a standard USB cable, with no stiffening or anything to make it easier to push down a drain?

gerryk wrote: »
    I take it the cable is just a standard USB cable, with no stiffening or anything to make it easier to push down a drain?

True, it's a standard usb cable, it's not stiffened.

So you'd have to push it down a drain with a stick or something.
    Possibly duck-taping it to the head of one of those wire-type drain rods/augers that you can push around u-bends etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,454 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I'd buy one if it came with a small powered screen - couldn't use a laptop for the use I have in mind.....

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 43 richban

Can you tell me if theres any light on this? enclosed spaces are usually dark I find - thanks

richban wrote: »
    Can you tell me if theres any light on this? enclosed spaces are usually dark I find - thanks

Yep, there's 4 LEDS on the webcam head.
    And there's a nice little scroll wheel on the usb socket end, which controls the brightness / can turn the light off too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

Serious All Bran shortage on here.:pac:

Advertisement