Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do all boards get pressure marks?

Options
  • 12-10-2012 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Do all boards eventually get pressure marks or does it only happen to fiberglass ones?
    Im looking to buy a secondhand board and it looks like the deck has a lot of them...
    It's cheap enough but i dont know if its worth my while?
    Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Any traditional glass board will get pressure dents, epoxy boards may not get them as easily but will probably still get them, not sure, beginner boards like bics also get them, hard epoxy boards like take offs might not get them but will crack instead.

Normally pressure dents are harmless and make no real difference but if a board has lots of them then it make have a very light glass job or be made from a poor quality blank so stear clear. What to look for is a change of colour under the foam where water is gettig in and also cracks along the wodden stringer or the foam collapsing along the stringer, if you see that then blank was over shaped or is poor quality so stear clear.

Sometimes you might intentionally get a board with a light glass job to keep the weight down but you have to accept that it won't last long.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 coper848

http://www.adverts.ie/water-sports/surfboard-mini-mall/1953515

That is the board im thinking about getting...

Is it just me or do those marks seem a bit excessive?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 coper848

Thanks for the reply spaceHopper btw!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

If it was put in the hands of baggage handles anything could happen, it looks ok and the price is not going to break the bank. Get a photo of the other side of the board

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

+1^ boards are often made with a heavy coat on the deck and a light one underneath. I wouldn't be surprised if it's lumpy looking underneath too. You get what you pay for condition wise with second hand boards. Anything under 200 euro is generally going to be a bit rough. If you pay 250+ you might get something better. I'd go for a heavier board then that one if I were you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement