Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Public house annoyances

• 12-10-2012 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭

I am going to the pub tonight for a few to watch the big match in full HD and am fearful that I may later on in the night have to use the gents toilet.
    You see last weekend I was there I had to go and discovered that there was no locking device on the door.
    Since I had to go and it medically proven that yu should not hold on, I sat sweeting nervously foot at door at the thought that some one might barge in.
    Luckily nobody did.
    I was so embarresed I couldn't tell the bar maid ( early 20s and quite the looker ) that there was no lock on the door.

What annoys you most about our public houses?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Drunk people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

The prices

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

You talking about having a ****e or a piss?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

People who refuse to share the toilet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Take a dump before you leave the house or are you going on guinness/curry marathon where you will have to take multiple dumps through the night?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

People who don't alert the staff of maintenance issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    You talking about having a ****e or a piss?
    A number 2 and quite the effort reaching for the door and keeping position right on target.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Barely secured...

...never mind

Making as much noise as possible during your time in the toilet generally wards people from trying the door

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

When they've no bacon fries....

They are just amazing, the smiths ones.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

I am going to the pub tonight for a few to watch the big match in full HD and am fearful that I may later on in the night have to use the gents toilet.
    You see last weekend I was there I had to go and discovered that there was no locking device on the door.
    Since I had to go and it medically proven that yu should not hold on, I sat sweeting nervously foot at door at the thought that some one might barge in.
    Luckily nobody did.
    I was so embarresed I couldn't tell the bar maid ( early 20s and quite the looker ) that there was no lock on the door.

Having a big screen with football on it and everyone glued to it

and the smell of farts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,650 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Having a great big screen above your head playing the footie while your playing in a trad session.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

It also annoys me when i go to a pub and its so loud i have to yell at the people with me, or to the bartender, to get a drink.

Nothing beats a pub with a real fireplace though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

Boombastic wrote: »
    and the smell of farts

Bring back smoking in pubs, people smell minging. Especially drunks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

people playing a trad session while im trying to watch the footie on a great big screen over their head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Hate being left waiting at the bar, but I know too its not easy for the staff when there is a big crowd so im not really complaining :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Definitely the prices. Lots of great places but obscene prices. 20 euro on 4 pints. That's horrific. I paid 5.55 for a pint bottle in the Quays in Galway today. Lovely spot terrible prices.

I seen a guy clear a pub one night. He must have been on the Guinness for a few days, it was like the place was on fire, people tripping over each other to get out and the smelly feck just stood at the bar smiling and ordering

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

People who clumsily back into you and spill your drink and then don't even acknowledge your presence or apoligise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

I used to be a barman, and we had an issue like that in one of the toilets, though we never bothered to get it fixed, didn't see the point really, since in the 7 years I worked there, nobody ever tried to steal a shite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

I used to be a barman, and we had an issue like that in one of the toilets, though we never bothered to get it fixed, didn't see the point really, since in the 7 years I worked there, nobody ever tried to stael a shite

i dont think people stealing a ****e is the problem here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Real Life wrote: »

ಠ_ಠ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Real Life wrote: »

The OP is actually terrified that a man might see his weeny. With a magnifying glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭mariano rivera

Hate being left waiting at the bar, but I know too its not easy for the staff when there is a big crowd so im not really complaining :P

Barmen/ women in Hipsters bars

Wanna be models/ actors who have no idea how to work behind a bar

Just get the facking beers over the bar you Nonce!

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭mariano rivera

Luckily nobody did.

Moaners

People giving out about the banks, government, the prices of pints, people farting, no lock on the jacks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

• Beer bottles that are not chilled
    • badly poured pints
    • warm wet glasses
    • the demise of the beermat
    • TVs on every wall showing poxy golf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

I hate being left at the bar, when there's nobody else at the bar!! :mad:
    Lazy bar staff chatting amongst themselves!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭homeless student

hmm barmen who serve the women b4 men, eventhough the men were there 5 mins b4 her. people pis$ing on the floor instead of the toilet or urinal,you wouldnt do it at home would ya?plus your not 5 anymore. animals.

Lack of decent beer.

Me:What have you on draught?
    Barman: We've pish, pish, pish and pish. And Bulmers and a foreign pish in bottles. :mad:

Meanwhile in a US Bar...7 Hand-crafted micro-brews on draft, another 30 in bottles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

I could never do a number 2 anywhere but at home.

OP, do your business before you leave home tonight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

MadsL wrote: »
    Lack of decent beer.

Barman: We've pish, pish, pish and pish. And Bulmers and a foreign pish in bottles. :mad:

Meanwhile in a US Bar...7 Hand-crafted micro-brews on draft, another 30 in bottles.

We are talking about a pubic house , not hippy nirvana

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

People breaking pool cues over other people's backs. Height of ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 gaziah

when theres a match on the big screen and a couple (generally elderly) sit directly underneath it facing out to the crowd. annoying yet quite funny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Lack of decent beer.

That's my pet-hate about people and beer. Complaining about the lack of "decent" beer, and then citing about how there's so much better variation in other countries. No-one is forcing you into the pub like. So just order something and live with it. They all taste the same after a few anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

A very big bar with only 4 or 5 customers drives me mad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

I could never do a number 2 anywhere but at home.

OP, do your business before you leave home tonight!

Sh1t break.

Fellas, usually farmers, standing around clogging up the bar when there are plenty of seats. "sure only wimmin sit down, we're talking about horse power and GAA"

• Registered Users Posts: 35 gaziah

Funglegunk wrote: »
    People breaking pool cues over other people's backs. Height of ignorance.
    Dont forget breaking glass bottles on the edge of the counter to get the barmaids attention and/or the start a bar brawl. shocking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

Boombastic wrote: »
    Having a big screen with football on it and everyone glued to it

and the smell of farts

Couldn't agree more!
    Recently spent a few days seeing the sights of Paris and did a lot of travelling by Metro, sometimes squeezed in between all sorts of nationalities at rush hour.
    Not once did I smell a fart or even body odor.
    The weekend I returned I had to attend a wedding in Galway and [on the crowded dance floor] the smell of egg sandwich farts and stale sweat would burn the inside of your nostrils.
    I think our thirst for Guinness has a lot to do with it.
    Civilization seems to be an optional extra with some people in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

I've just thought of something and I might as well post it here. How about in stead of Nicorette gum there's a Nicorette beer? I don't smoke and it annoys the hell out of me when all my mates bugger off outside for a fag and I'm left there missing out on the craic.

They all taste the same after a few anyway

Have a problem? Answer is to get pissed. Spoken like a true Irishman. Well done, very well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭steph1

Couldn't agree more!
    Recently spent a few days seeing the sights of Paris and did a lot of travelling by Metro, sometimes squeezed in between all sorts of nationalities at rush hour.
    Not once did I smell a fart or even body odor.
    The weekend I returned I had to attend a wedding in Galway and [on the crowded dance floor] the smell of egg sandwich farts and stale sweat would burn the inside of your nostrils.
    I think our thirst for Guinness has a lot to do with it.
    Civilization seems to be an optional extra with some people in this country.

Some people seem to have a fear of soap and water lol lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Have a problem? Answer is to get pissed. Spoken like a true Irishman. Well done, very well done.

Actually you're right. I shouldn't be buying the generic draught beer you get in virtually every pub in Ireland, because it gets me pissed. I should fork out an extra few euro on some obscure craft beer so I'll spend less and ergo not get as drunk, so then I can talk about the Beatles back catalogue that I have on vinyl without slurring my words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

I could never do a number 2 anywhere but at home= QUOTE]

Very wise! This girl tried it and look what happened.

http://www.puretravel.com/blog/2009/05/19/if-she-hasnt-yet-she-will-soon/

I've just thought of something and I might as well post it here. How about in stead of Nicorette gum there's a Nicorette beer? I don't smoke and it annoys the hell out of me when all my mates bugger off outside for a fag and I'm left there missing out on the craic.

Ye complain when we smoke inside, ye complain when we smoke outside..ye non-smokers are never happy ggrrrr:p

the Beatles back catalogue that I have on vinyl

You should look into selling that and buying beer with the proceeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

People...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

The ladies loo- what a ****hole. Full of idiotic women, two in a stall, reapplying their already laden faces with make up and chatting ****e at the sinks so its acrobatics getting around them to wash hands!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

A little hint (coming from working in bars for over twenty years), bring your empty with you to the bar ~ it gets the staffs attention quicker than any amount of shouting, waving notes and nodding at them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

A little hint (coming from working in bars for over twenty years), bring your empty with you to the bar ~ it gets the staffs attention quicker than any amount of shouting, waving notes and nodding at them.

and don' forget your please and thankyous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Going to the jacks in certain pubs to find "assistants" (only word I can think of that isn't rude) offering you tissues or cheap stink. Not as common since the big R but still there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement