Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Public house annoyances

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

A barman who moans to YOU!

It's supposed to be the other way around, the barman is there to listen to you

Stopped in for a quiet pint in The Village Inn in Inchicore the other night

Moan, moan, moan, so quiet, low prices, high costs, moan, moan, moan

If I wanted to listen to that I would have hired a taxi!

A pub to avoid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭homeless student

ollaetta wrote: »
    Going to the jacks in certain pubs to find "assistants" (only word I can think of that isn't rude) offering you tissues or cheap stink. Not as common since the big R but still there.

ah I like them guys, you have a good laugh with them. and its usually not cheap stink.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

people farting,

I know you're only slagging, as was I, but you have to admit, the smoking ban really showed us all what the poor staff have to suffer in pubs. The stench in most of them is terrible.

Stale beer. Sweaty pits. Beer farts. Bad breath. Damp. That fucking awful weird hum peculiar to pub toilet facilities. The older the pub is, the more likely it is that you'll be able to smell or even taste the mould spores as you breathe them in.

It's almost enough to put you off your scampi fries. The only way to blot it is out is by drinking more, until your sense stop functioning... hey, wait a minute!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

Televisions roaring commercial shíte, usually soccer, from every wall as if the only people in the place who want a quiet chat are the people at my table.

For their sheer rudeness, these pubs do not deserve to survive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

mikemac1 wrote: »
    A barman who moans to YOU!

It's supposed to be the other way around, the barman is there to listen to you

That's what counsellors are for. A barman is there to serve drink and ensure people can have that drink without noise pollution from television land impeding the contentment of customers who just want a quiet chat with friends.

The vast majority of barmen fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

I sat sweeting nervously foot at door at the thought that some one might barge in.
    Luckily nobody did.
    I was so embarresed I couldn't tell the bar maid ( early 20s and quite the looker ) that there was no lock on the door.

It's shocking that none of the other ladies reported it either.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

halogen lights, take the eyes off you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,299 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

A below par smoking area!

And the smell from the Ladies Toilets!

For Fux Sake girls Close the fukkin door!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Live music. I want to go to a boozer to socialize not try to shout over some local band doing karaoke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

There's a certain jackass in my local who likes the sound of his own voice, he'll spring after somebodies played a beautiful piece or song on acoustic which was well received. He has to be the main event so he'll start reciting some ancient bullsh1t story and demand complete silence, he drives men out of the pub with it. He can't let us have our moment! He can't let go of the past. We're here now and its our time old man..

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

If I order a bottle of corona or miller & it has been corked a night or two beforehand, but it was stuck back into the fridge anyway. You know drinking it there's something not quite right but you can't put your finger on it.
    Until the next morning when a handy few beers leave you in such a state that you think a brain aneurism is on its way.

I hate miserable pricks of publicans who do that or instruct their staff to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

That's my pet-hate about people and beer. Complaining about the lack of "decent" beer, and then citing about how there's so much better variation in other countries. No-one is forcing you into the pub like. So just order something and live with it. They all taste the same after a few anyway

No they don't all taste the same after a few and why should he/she just drink any old swill. That comment gives me the impression that you know nothing about beer and possibly don't even like the taste of it. And yes, nobody is forcing him/her into the bar but the majority of Irish bars have the same ****e on tap while over here in Canada there is much better variety of beers on tap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,677 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Number one annoyance for me would be having some drunk 18 year old kid roaring and shouting around the pub thinking everyone actually wants to hear the ****e he is talking.

This happened in a pub I was in recently, he then proceeded to shout at us to buy him a drink and abuse us when we refused.

It was the nearest I've ever come to lamping someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭cometogether

Drunks, especially drunk women. This is gonna sound really sexist, but a very drunk woman is worse than a very drunk man. I hate to see anyone demeaning themselves with alcohol, but with a man you can kind of expect it, plus there's a lot of dangerous stuff that can happen to a drunk woman moreso than a drunk man. I also hate in pubs ; televisions and people who stare at them, people constantly on their phones or texting (why even bring a mobile to a pub), high prices, crap music and when its so packed you can't get a drink, usually aided largely by people standing chatting at a bar after they've been served.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I am going to the pub tonight for a few to watch the big match in full HD and am fearful that I may later on in the night have to use the gents toilet.
    You see last weekend I was there I had to go and discovered that there was no locking device on the door.
    Since I had to go and it medically proven that yu should not hold on, I sat sweeting nervously foot at door at the thought that some one might barge in.
    Luckily nobody did.
    I was so embarresed I couldn't tell the bar maid ( early 20s and quite the looker ) that there was no lock on the door.

What annoys you most about our public houses?

Quit w&nking in the pub jacks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

When the pub is busy, you're waiting at the bar like everyone else and someone goes ahead and orders a coffee!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Lack of decent live music, for a country which supposedly prides itself on its music; in country towns it usually means some gobsh*te with a keyboard and an amp half the size of the pub pumping out country and western crap. Generally, the music (live or otherwise is too bloody LOUD)

Little choice in beers other than mass-produced p*ss water in many places.

Hen parties, esp. loud drunk birds. Feckin flashing lights, L-Plates and feather boas. So original.

Silly rules like prohibition on wearing hats in a lot of places. Half of Boston were wearing baseball hats and flat caps no trouble in the bars.

Bolshy bouncers.

Waiting AGES to be served...the beanpoles getting their drinks ahead of you.

Raising the prices after a certain time, shnake-y.

Drunks, especially drunk women. This is gonna sound really sexist, but a very drunk woman is worse than a very drunk man. I hate to see anyone demeaning themselves with alcohol, but with a man you can kind of expect it, plus there's a lot of dangerous stuff that can happen to a drunk woman moreso than a drunk man. I also hate in pubs ; televisions and people who stare at them, people constantly on their phones or texting (why even bring a mobile to a pub), high prices, crap music and when its so packed you can't get a drink, usually aided largely by people standing chatting at a bar after they've been served.

Think that's the sexist bit there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

crap handryers in the jacks...just get them dyson things in!

I worked in an extremely busy bar/club and we were understaffed. If youve never worked behing a bar its hard to understand- its hard stressful work, with very little thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

when its so packed you can't get a drink, usually aided largely by people standing chatting at a bar after they've been served.
    I agree. I can never understand people who choose to sit at a bar when the place is jammed having people shouting over you, having their drink served in front usually having spillages on you and worst if all lads reaching over you paying and collecting their drinks. Too much trouble if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Lack of decent live music, for a country which supposedly prides itself on its music; in country towns it usually means some gobsh*te with a keyboard and an amp half the size of the pub pumping out country and western crap. Generally, the music (live or otherwise is too bloody LOUD)

You're going to the wrong pubs

Think that's the sexist bit there.

I mean as in you, or at least I, expect it more than a woman

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

It's a sad reflection on the pub trade but I'd nearly say the home has become the new pub. With alcohol available at insanely cheap prices at off licences, having a few friends around to the gaff seems like the better option.

You can also factor in no smoking ban and no closing time, as well as complete control over the evenings entertainment, music choices etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Fixing Good

People who remain at the bar when it's jammed packed and you can't get near it to get served!!!

Really drunk people who remain in a bar even though they clearly had enough! They should not be served any more!

Power tripping Bouncers!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Hal Decks

What about prick bar staff who don't serve customers in turn?

Hal Decks wrote: »
    What about prick bar staff who don't serve customers in turn?

I hear ya on that one, sometimes when a person who is not known by the barman goes into a pub he/she is ofton left waiting while the locals are served first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Stavro Mueller

The music being so loud you can't hear a word the person beside you is saying. Of course it's have nothing to do with the publicans wanting people to have dry mouths from shouting or nothing else to do but drink some more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

when its so packed you can't get a drink, usually aided largely by people standing chatting at a bar after they've been served.
    I agree. I can never understand people who choose to sit at a bar when the place is jammed having people shouting over you, having their drink served in front usually having spillages on you and worst if all lads reaching over you paying and collecting their drinks. Too much trouble if you ask me.

Its very like when you see 2 people get on an empty bus together and they sit in 2 empty seats not beside each other. The bus eventually fills up and they get stuck beside other people.

Some people just don't have any foresight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Being ignored by barstaff when trying buy a drink and then a fücking lousy attitude when they finally decide to hand over an overpriced pint of horse piss.
    I live in Dublin city centre. Bars and clubs on Friday/Saturday are pretty intolerable for me now. Full of dickheads, hipsters and simpletons. Particularly bad since i no longer need to to go looking for the ride making going to these ****eholes pretty well obsolete.
    Much rather a nice meal and a good nights sleep, i'm not yet 30 ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

We are talking about a pubic house , not hippy nirvana

Since when is beer, or looking for a decent standard product "hippy shiit"?

That's kind of to be expected out the country though. Ireland is small, so the majority of music is going to be in the larger urban areas. There is a lot of great live music out there though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Loud music

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭trodsky

I am going to the pub tonight for a few to watch the big match in full HD and am fearful that I may later on in the night have to use the gents toilet.
    You see last weekend I was there I had to go and discovered that there was no locking device on the door.
    Since I had to go and it medically proven that yu should not hold on, I sat sweeting nervously foot at door at the thought that some one might barge in.
    Luckily nobody did.

What annoys you most about our public houses?

People that can't spell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,667 ✭✭✭✭ted1

When a pub has a TV annoys me. Especially when there's some shore match on and they turn.it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

We are talking about a pubic house , not hippy nirvana

A pubic house?

Is that one of dem brothels?

People who put their phone or keys on the counter / table.
    trodsky wrote: »
    People that can't spell.

Not sure how spelling causes annoyance in a public house, unless you are glued to your phone which is a bit antisocial.

Unless the pub misspelt it's own name?

Someone accidentally stabbing you with a dart.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

MadsL wrote: »
    Lack of decent beer.

Me:What have you on draught?
    Barman: We've pish, pish, pish and pish. And Bulmers and a foreign pish in bottles. :mad:

Meanwhile in a US Bar...7 Hand-crafted micro-brews on draft, another 30 in bottles.

Beer snobs!

• Advertisement

Poor finger food selection.

Plus lack of Scampi Fries and Bacon Fries.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭superblu

When you are sitting there quietly minding your own business with a few of your pals having a few pints and a bit of a chat and some sanctimonious tool starts ssshhhing at yee so some other tool can start singing some bullsh!t rebel song about the 1798 rebellion. This drives me absolutely mad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

People who do an enormous messy ****e and leave it sitting there in the bowel for everyone to see......disgusting and makes me worry about the mentality of these people

Doom wrote: »
    People who do an enormous messy ****e and leave it sitting there in the bowel for everyone to see......disgusting and makes me worry about for mentality of these people

And normally there is no toilet paper in the bowl so they may not have cleaned their arses afterwards.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

juan.kerr wrote: »
    And normally there is no toilet paper in the bowl so they may not have cleaned their arses afterwards.

I just didn't want to think about that part.....I feel sick:(

Aggressive drunks. Particularly those who could't fight their way out of a brown paper bag but after a couple of pints think they're Jean-Claude Van Damme. Of course then if you're not drinking and one of them starts on you and you fight back you look like someone whose just taking advantage of a drunk "Leave him alone would ya" "Sure can't ya see that he's locked, its not his fault, he doesn't know what he's doing" Bollocks to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

juan.kerr wrote: »
    People who put their phone or keys on the counter / table.

Not sure how spelling causes annoyance in a public house, unless you are glued to your phone which is a bit antisocial.

Unless the pub misspelt it's own name?

http://www.facebook.com/phoenix.bar.1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭alie

No pub crisps only Pringles or posh hand cut ones, dirty lipsticked stained glasses and bottles with chips out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

trodsky wrote: »

People that can't spell.
    Complains about bad spelling.
    Uses badly constructed sentence to complain.
    People who can't spell my dear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭Assassin saphir

People who bring their kids to the pub. Parents locked outta their heads at the bar all day and the kid is usually outside playing, in and out of the toilets or screaming their head off with boredom. A pub is no place for children unless its a specific occassion like a wedding etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Charity collectors

I can't sit and have my pint and read of the paper in peace without local kids sticking a piece of paper in my face and asking for money for the local clubs

As for sending you lot to a blitz tournament in Germany? How about your parents pay!

The barman to be fair hunts them out, doesn't want his customers getting hassled

• Advertisement
Advertisement