Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Public house annoyances

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭sarah.

People who spend at least half the night checking everyone in on Facebook or tweeting about the fact that they're out. Just put the phone down for **** sake! Or if not just stay at home!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I could never do a number 2 anywhere but at home.

OP, do your business before you leave home tonight!

What is this about, I have heard a few people say that before. Why? I can understand it in pubs where the facitities are terrible, but apart from that. It makes no sense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭homeless student

Odysseus wrote: »
    What is this about, I have heard a few people say that before. Why? I can understand it in pubs where the facitities are terrible, but apart from that. It makes no sense

really? i personally dont like sitting on toilet seats covered in pi$$.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Beer snobs!

There is nothing wrong with preferring quality beer that has fermented and conditioned naturally using quality ingredients compared to industrial piss like Bud or Carlsberg, but like any other subject, there's no need for someone to go on endlessly about it to people who have no interest in the matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

What annoys you most about our public houses?

People who don't refer to them as pubs

That is quite understandable, it's the people that won't use a toilet other than the one in their house, [not matter how clean it is] I seen a few posters say that over the years. It's different to not using a jacks because it is unclean.

Odysseus wrote: »
    That is quite understandable, it's the people that won't use a toilet other than the one in their house, [not matter how clean it is] I seen a few posters say that over the years. It's different to not using a jacks because it is unclean.

it could because a lot of the time public toilets arent clean because some people seem to have no respect or manners when using them, e.g not flushing, pissing on the floor etc perfect example is graffiti on walls and doors of public toilets, imagine doing that in a friends bathroom lol some people think its almost compulsory to do it in public toilets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

the local plague coming in with his book of tickets for soccer club. go away you smelly illiterate annoying eejit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

mickrock wrote: »
    A pubic house?

Is that one of dem brothels?

no just an accurate take on what we are discussing in this thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

MadsL wrote: »
    Lack of decent beer.

Me:What have you on draught?
    Barman: We've pish, pish, pish and pish. And Bulmers and a foreign pish in bottles. :mad:

Meanwhile in a US Bar...7 Hand-crafted micro-brews on draft, another 30 in bottles.

Please god stay there. We could do without the like of.you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Please god stay there. We could do without the like of.you

Does it upset you he dosn't like the same stuff as you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

MJ23 wrote: »
    the local plague coming in with his book of tickets for soccer club. go away you smelly illiterate annoying eejit.

Maybe use capital letters and commas where needed before you slag off others. :rolleyes:

it could because a lot of the time public toilets arent clean because some people seem to have no respect or manners when using them, e.g not flushing, pissing on the floor etc perfect example is graffiti on walls and doors of public toilets, imagine doing that in a friends bathroom lol some people think its almost compulsory to do it in public toilets.

Yes but as I said that is understandable, I'm asking about such a habit where it is not down to hygine factors, in a thread recently some posters said the same about work, but it was not down to hygine. For some reason the would only use their own toilet for pooing. No heading off to Paul's for them;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 343 ✭✭Sorcha16

Closing time

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Deafening music that makes conversation impossible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

No Kids should be allowed in a pub. EVER.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

spurious wrote: »
    Deafening music that makes conversation impossible.

Conversation when you wish music would drown it out can be just as bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Places
    That serve you outside
    And the " can't " turn on the heaters, " dont know how to" or " have no matches".
    fFS.
    Will you give me a refund on my meal & pint so.
    Or let my dog sit inside with me in the WARMTH.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

People that bring dogs to the pub.

• Advertisement

Places
    That serve you outside
    And the " can't " turn on the heaters, " dont know how to" or " have no matches".
    fFS.
    Will you give me a refund on my meal & pint so.

Has it occured to you that they may refuse to turn on the heaters for you to annoy you so you wont come back with your dog?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Doom wrote: »
    People who do an enormous messy ****e and leave it sitting there in the bowel for everyone to see......disgusting and makes me worry about the mentality of these people

Going in finding that,
    flush and it does work, in which case they were a dirty bastard,
    or
    flush and it doesnt work in which case you know why they left it,
    bale out to the next cubicle and if you're spotted looks like you own it :(

Toilets that dont work, dont have a latch, and are filthy
    Thats not quaint charm, its cheap and unhygenic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Boombastic wrote: »
    Ye complain when we smoke inside, ye complain when we smoke outside..ye non-smokers are never happy ggrrrr:p
    Personally I was never too bothered by the smoke in a pub. It was what I came to associate with them: pub = smokey place with booze. Just as going to a football match usually means standing in the pishing rain for a couple of hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

People complaining about staff when it's crazy busy! Honestly we're moving as quick as we can!!!

Also I didn't price the drink- either pay it or don't. I don't mind if you choose tap water or a fiver pint for the eve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

juan.kerr wrote: »
    People who put their phone or keys on the counter / table.

Makes sense if you're sitting down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

ArtyC wrote: »
    People complaining about staff when it's crazy busy! Honestly we're moving as quick as we can!!!

Also I didn't price the drink- either pay it or don't. I don't mind if you choose tap water or a fiver pint for the eve

what about when its not busy,
    Had a barman repeatedly walk past me, to other customers that he could clearly see had arrived after me, not busy at all, I was trying to get his attention repeatedly and the aul jack ass kept ignoring me.
    I think he assumed I was pissed, till i ordered my alkohol frei.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Stavro Mueller

Originally Posted by juan.kerr
    People who put their phone or keys on the counter / table.

Or if you're at a swingers party :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

I don't complain about the staff members rather the lack of staff. If the night is very busy the owner should have more staff working. Cynical me assumes it's just a scabby move to cut costs at the expense of decent service.

Yes I know there are times when the large crowds are unforeseeable but I'm talking more about nights that are regularly busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Knucklecracker

My Pub annoyances is the pub itself. I used to go to the pub all the time but now I hate going to the pub. All different types of pubs too.

Bars with music you generally can't hear yourself think let alone talk to anyone.

Bars without music you always get the pissheads wanting a conversation.

Going to the pub to see the football, no thanks, ill watch it at home so the only opinion I have to listen to is the pundits on the TV and I can turn them off if I want.

Im not really bothered if I have a drink from one end of the year to the next.

I'm fast running out of reasons to go to the pub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Doom wrote: »
    People who do an enormous messy ****e and leave it sitting there in the bowel for everyone to see

You do realise the physical impossibility of that, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Squat to do your squits.

• Advertisement

The publicans would have us believe the countries pubs are going down the pan. Nice to know that isn't the case.

Jev/N wrote: »
    Makes sense if you're sitting down.

Why's that now? No pockets? No one cares that you have a iPhone or a BMW keyring for your Micra.

pubs that run out of ice, pubs where some people seem to live in, no matter what time of the day you go in they are there, talking absolute rubbish.thinking they know it all, giving out about everything, especially the state of the country and blaiming the government, eventhough they are the types that never worked a day in their lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Hal Decks

Fukwit bar staff who pour a drink into a warm glass.
    Fukwit staff who pour a soft drink into a glass then lob a few ice cubes into it. (Do it the other way around!!)
    Pubs that think a catering bucket of Maxwell House Red is coffee.(pure and utter sh1te)
    Pubs that try to justify their soft drink prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Why oh why do people have to break locks in toilet doors?

WTF is wrong with them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

When someone in a balaclava runs in and unloads a shotgun into the face of a fellow reveller

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

When the bartender pours 3/4s of your pint of guinness, and then buggers off for almost 10 minutes to watch the rugby rather than finishing it off. I know it has to settle but come on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

The customers who don't bother to have a shower before heading to the pub to watch a match.
    There was an international rugby match a few months ago and the pub was packed as you imagine but in one corner there was about 20 blokes standing and cheering watching the match, the stench of stale sweat from them was worse than the stench of death and this was in a pub with hardly any open windows. And yes there were women in the pub, you'd think the blokes be conscious to bloody wash themselves in case they would be romantically noticed? Retards! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

When the bartender pours 3/4s of your pint of guinness, and then buggers off for almost 10 minutes to watch the rugby rather than finishing it off. I know it has to settle but come on

10 mins is ridiculous, 1 min would do the job fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭cometogether

Pubs that have cocktail menus, usually over priced ones, and then look at you with loathing if you ask for one. If you don't want to make them then don't sell them you idiots!

• Advertisement

juan.kerr wrote: »
    The publicans would have us believe the countries pubs are going down the pan. Nice to know that isn't the case.

If anything saturday nights are busier than ever before..... Maybe its their one thing/ treat they have now.... I don't know really. But I do know when I finish work at 5 am I stink of sweat/ spilt drink and then bleach from clean up.... I do more at work than the gym!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Pubs that have cocktail menus, usually over priced ones, and then look at you with loathing if you ask for one. If you don't want to make them then don't sell them you idiots!

These are for the wimmens. A bloke wouldn't be seen dead with a cocktail in an Irish pub.
    Cocktails are for holidays and beach bars. Not pubs.

Hal Decks wrote: »
    Fukwit staff who pour a soft drink into a glass then lob a few ice cubes into it. (Do it the other way around!!)
    Pubs that think a catering bucket of Maxwell House Red is coffee.(pure and utter sh1te)

Every pub I know has run out of glasses at some point. You'll see some poor guy in the corner washing as fast as he/ she can..... Even though the glasses are stacked to the hilt behind every bar, every night. Even when we do drag new boxes from the store- they need to be washed first.

Also every pub I've worked in has had two ice makers and back up freezers and still run out.

I know it's annoying but cant be helped sometimes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Hal Decks

Every pub I know has run out of glasses at some point. You'll see some poor guy in the corner washing as fast as he/ she can..... Even though the glasses are stacked to the hilt behind every bar, every night. Even when we do drag new boxes from the store- they need to be washed first.

Also every pub I've worked in has had two ice makers and back up freezers and still run out.

So that makes it all OK?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

People who complain to you about how every beer is **** in Ireland and they rant on about some obscure ****é beer that actually tastes horrible.

I know its been mentioned a few times in this thread (theres been a few of the above said people) but I wouldnt mind, only for I actually like the taste of this "generic horse piss" they yap on about.. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

What annoys you most about our public houses?

1 - The opening hours.

2 - The Vintners Cartel. Time to deregulate the pubs. It worked with the Taxis.

3 - Young rugby types roaring & shouting in the Beer Garden, while doing strange mixes of Air Guitar and Taekwondo moves to impress their cackly peroxide headed bitches.

4 - Smoking areas that are less comfortable than a damp cell in Colditz.

5 - Bar Staff that have no concept of 'The Customer'

6 - No food after 21:00hr, and sometimes not at all. In Europe you can usually get Pizza or something similar, up to Midnight.

7 - Annoying, obnoxious, nosey, and sometimes slightly intellectually challenged 'barflies' who are always in your face, and never get barred, because they put 200Euro across the bar every week. *

8 - Pubs that will gladly serve you 3 Pints approaching closing time and then force you to neck them to get you out at five past midnight.

* A certain pub in Terenure is notorious for this. I can't name it, but it's not Vaughans, and it's not the Terenure Inn.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭cometogether

These are for the wimmens. A bloke wouldn't be seen dead with a cocktail in an Irish pub.
    Cocktails are for holidays and beach bars. Not pubs.

Who says?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

People that bring dogs to the pub.
    Best not go to a rural English pub, those places are crawling with dogs.

So that makes it all OK?

It does ya

• Advertisement

Merch wrote: »
    what about when its not busy,
    Had a barman repeatedly walk past me, to other customers that he could clearly see had arrived after me, not busy at all, I was trying to get his attention repeatedly and the aul jack ass kept ignoring me.
    I think he assumed I was pissed, till i ordered my alkohol frei.

He was probably just a grumpy oul fella, but to be fair if you wave at a barman he should only wave back.
    I don't complain about the staff members rather the lack of staff. If the night is very busy the owner should have more staff working. Cynical me assumes it's just a scabby move to cut costs at the expense of decent service.

Yes I know there are times when the large crowds are unforeseeable but I'm talking more about nights that are regularly busy.

This is a huge problem, its rare to come across a pub that isn't understaffed somewhere between bar staff/door staff and it makes everyones job more difficult and more dangerous.

Keep calling them 'fukwits' and you'll keep being treated like a 'fukwit', if you've got that attitude in your head your probably giving it off.

I've never heard a publican justify the price of soft drinks, they are unable, it is a rip off.

Yeh thats really stupid, if you have a menu out you should serve the drink without being a queen about it. However, a fella asked me for an Irish coffee at last orders on a Saturday night recently and my heart did sink.

Just drag the glasses out when you get them and wash them and put them pack into storage, somewhere clean of course, its not ideal but it saves the hassle.

Ice machines are never maintained properly and therefore are always on their last legs and always acting up. But there is no excuse for a pub to not be able to serve a drink with some ice.

Advertisement