Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Public house annoyances

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    He was probably just a grumpy oul fella, but to be fair if you wave at a barman he should only wave back.

This is a huge problem, its rare to come across a pub that isn't understaffed somewhere between bar staff/door staff and it makes everyones job more difficult and more dangerous.

Keep calling them 'fukwits' and you'll keep being treated like a 'fukwit', if you've got that attitude in your head your probably giving it off.

I've never heard a publican justify the price of soft drinks, they are unable, it is a rip off.

Yeh thats really stupid, if you have a menu out you should serve the drink without being a queen about it. However, a fella asked me for an Irish coffee at last orders on a Saturday night recently and my heart did sink.

Just drag the glasses out when you get them and wash them and put them pack into storage, somewhere clean of course, its not ideal but it saves the hassle.

Ice machines are never maintained properly and therefore are always on their last legs and always acting up. But there is no excuse for a pub to not be able to serve a drink with some ice.

the ****wit comment is really what annoyed me!

I generally come in at ten or eleven- so I dont do prep often but when i do- other things need taking care off. WHY WHY WHY do so many people feel the need to break handles on loos, locks on doors, blocking toilets with all sorts of crap besides crap itself! Then its replacing and fixing broken chairs, tables, light fixtures. Then people coming in looking for lost jackets etc....

people in late bars are animals. I keep a cool head, make the best to enjoy my nights work if I can (people have commented on my cheery dispostion) but being called a ****wit etc at the wee hours don't help:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

marcsignal wrote: »
    1 - The opening hours.

2 - The Vintners Cartel. Time to deregulate the pubs. It worked with the Taxis.

3 - Young rugby types roaring & shouting in the Beer Garden, while doing strange mixes of Air Guitar and Taekwondo moves to impress their cackly peroxide headed bitches.

4 - Smoking areas that are less comfortable than a damp cell in Colditz.

5 - Bar Staff that have no concept of 'The Customer'

6 - No food after 21:00hr, and sometimes not at all. In Europe you can usually get Pizza or something similar, up to Midnight.

7 - Annoying, obnoxious, nosey, and sometimes slightly intellectually challenged 'barflies' who are always in your face, and never get barred, because they put 200Euro across the bar every week. *

8 - Pubs that will gladly serve you 3 Pints approaching closing time and then force you to neck them to get you out at five past midnight.

* A certain pub in Terenure is notorious for this. I can't name it, but it's not Vaughans, and it's not the Terenure Inn.

Completely agree with alot of what you say, especially with regards to deregulation and a look at opening hours. Where working with mild adaptions of 100 year old laws here.

Except for point 8, were not baby sitters, your an adult, were not going to ask you who there for, you know what time last orders is, you know about the legal 30 minutes drink up time. Now to be fair I do it when I'm out but in reality when people do this their only making pigs of themselves and that injection of alcohol is going to really f*ck you up the next day.

If a publican could stay open until 5 or 6 and rip off all the drunks who are downing pints like theres no tomorrow he would.
    ArtyC wrote: »
    the ****wit comment is really what annoyed me!

I generally come in at ten or eleven- so I dont do prep often but when i do- other things need taking care off. WHY WHY WHY do so many people feel the need to break handles on loos, locks on doors, blocking toilets with all sorts of crap besides crap itself! Then its replacing and fixing broken chairs, tables, light fixtures. Then people coming in looking for lost jackets etc....

people in late bars are animals. I keep a cool head, make the best to enjoy my nights work if I can (people have commented on my cheery dispostion) but being called a ****wit etc at the wee hours don't help:pac:

Because people are retards when there drunk, its a fact of life.

The thing is noone has a right to be insulting staff, people say because your in hospitality you have to take it, and that makes it ok in these arseholes heads. Ever notice its nearly always middle aged people who are rude? They are the most difficult people to deal with. Despite the many failings of my boss the one thing is he won't have his staff treated like sh*t for no reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Completely agree with alot of what you say, especially with regards to deregulation and a look at opening hours. Where working with mild adaptions of 100 year old laws here.

Except for point 8, were not baby sitters, your an adult, were not going to ask you who there for, you know what time last orders is, you know about the legal 30 minutes drink up time. Now to be fair I do it when I'm out but in reality when people do this their only making pigs of themselves and that injection of alcohol is going to really f*ck you up the next day.

If a publican could stay open until 5 or 6 and rip off all the drunks who are downing pints like theres no tomorrow he would.

Because people are retards when there drunk, its a fact of life.

The thing is noone has a right to be insulting staff, people say because your in hospitality you have to take it, and that makes it ok in these arseholes heads. Ever notice its nearly always middle aged people who are rude? They are the most difficult people to deal with. Despite the many failings of my boss the one thing is he won't have his staff treated like sh*t for no reason.

aye usually older people who should know better are unbelievably rude, take note if your getting served v. slowly- if you have waved your hands like a maniac, clicked your fingers, ordered one drink at a time ( slowing down service for everyone), grabbed staff..... etc you donet deserve prompt service.

I'm not sticking up for all bar staff here, there's assholes in every job but please appreciate those who are working hard so you enjoy your night. please, thank yous and a little patience will not make your night worse but you mind find you'll in turn get better service!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Didnt wave, not sure what way he wanted me to get his attention, holding the money in my hand
    looking at the guy till he he acknowledged me, he looks
    me, can i order a.. he walks off, the ignorant fcuk, he was an aul fella, but not sure why thats an excuse, it was quiet at the bar but they had a good night as the place had quite a few in, its been a while since i experienced that ignorant kind of attitude, it was kind of, well we can be choosy or something.
    Anyway, havent gone back there since, not that Im out much but warned a few others off too, joke.
    I actually think he thought I was drunk and was waiting for me to get annoyed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

on reflection, i agree with you on this...

..i had few pints on me when i posted :o;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I am going to the pub tonight for a few to watch the big match in full HD..............................

What annoys you most about our public houses?

The final score :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

What annoys you most about our public houses?
    Football. On tellies. Well, anything on tellies really. Watch it at home. If you can't chat, the pub's not the place for you.*

*edit. Don't like football. Don't watch telly. Like to chat. The pub's not the place for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Merch wrote: »
    Didnt wave, not sure what way he wanted me to get his attention, holding the money in my hand
    looking at the guy till he he acknowledged me, he looks
    me, can i order a.. he walks off, the ignorant fcuk, he was an aul fella, but not sure why thats an excuse, it was quiet at the bar but they had a good night as the place had quite a few in, its been a while since i experienced that ignorant kind of attitude, it was kind of, well we can be choosy or something.
    Anyway, havent gone back there since, not that Im out much but warned a few others off too, joke.
    I actually think he thought I was drunk and was waiting for me to get annoyed.

You should take your money elsewhere then, no point giving an arsehole money when theres a better pub down the street. The only reason theres so many bad bars and bad staff in the country is because people put up with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

ArtyC wrote: »
    The ladies loo- what a ****hole. Full of idiotic women, two in a stall, reapplying their already laden faces with make up and chatting ****e at the sinks so its acrobatics getting around them to wash hands!

They're probably doing something other than applying makeup.

It is fairly annoying though when a pub has a shlt shltter.
    It's not too much to expect a toilet in working order with a lockable door and the means to wash and dry your hands.
    I'd tend to avoid pubs like that, there are enough of them out there vying for business, if they can't be bothered providing reasonable facilities it kind of says they don't give a fcuk about their customers.

All in all though, I find pubs and particularly the staff, to be much better these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭JajaD

This sounds like the pub i work in, i am a barmaid in my early 20's too.... :o

• Advertisement
Advertisement