Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who pays

• 12-10-2012 3:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 419 ✭✭

Hi I live in a rented house that has its own well. The last couple of esb bills have been Hugh the last two months bill came in at 533 euros. So I've figured out its the pump that is at fault. Yesterday alone 32 units of electricty was used and I was sitting in the dark. I've the pump plugged out now but am I liable for this bill. I presume am I am

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Is the well and pump for your use? If so then Id say you are liable to pay (as you are for any other electical item/applicance in the house).

If its for a farm or something that has nothing to do with you then its not your concern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 419 ✭✭channaigh

Yes for my use but it's not being working properly. Had it fixed a few months ago supposly buy still getting the high bills

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

At least you are now well off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭tony81

If the bill is in your name I'd say you'll have to pay the ESB. However, I reckon the pump is your landlord's responsibility. Ask him to pay for the large bill.. his insurance may cover it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

You might have a case if you can show that the pump is the cause of the high bills and if you can prove that you brought it to the attention of the landlord and they did not take adequate action to resolve the issue. If you have sufficient proof then its worth investigating further; especially given the money involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,028 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

If you notified the LL that there was a problem with the pump and he was made aware that it was an urgent matter and he ignored it, then he should partly pay IMO (speaking as a LL). If he was not aware of the problem, he can't be expected to pay.

Advertisement