Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solid fuel

Options
  • 12-10-2012 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭

Anyone know who would be the most reasonable(in their opinion) to buy some bags of turf and some briquettes (bails) or if possible bags , looking to stock up for the winter
    I am living in kilkenny city thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I love a good fire so I do.

I find yer man on the Hebron road alright. I bought stuff off him last year, I have been experementing with different fuels and my conclusions are thus:

Turf: Sh!te heat and loads of ashes but if you can get it free it's worth it. Smells lovely.
    Briquettes: Same as turf but expensive. Total waste of money imo.
    Cosyglo Smokeless Coal: Takes *YONKS* to get going - you need to suppliment it with wood and you need to build a massive fire to get any decent go out of it. If you're fire is nearly out, you are wasting your time putting cosyglo on it - that actually will extinguish it.
    Polish Coal: The best in terms of giving me the BTU's i need to satisfy my thermal desires. You cant use it in the town so when you're asked, lie about where you live
    Staffords Country Blend: The best of a bad lot if you have to buy smokeless in my opinion. It's expensive but gives a way better burn than Cosyglo
    Logs (beech) I quite like these but the ones i got last year had been out in the rain and were worse than useless. Make sure they are dry and aged for a year for the best burn
    Deal Offcuts (from a mill): Grand if you get them free but burn hard and fast and really only are good to get a fire started (with your cosyglo or whatever). They spark like crazy as well.

I think i will buy a trailerload of kiln dried ash off donedeal or something this year and see how i get on with that. I do like a wood fire. Turf is well poxy though, wouldnt tough it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

Well done that man.brilliant report on the various fuels, we get our's from Marble city and use Country Blend, but a lot of what I call coke in it,
    Wood tends to burn away fast, and briquettes do give a lot of ash, we can't get turf, but not bothered about that.
    One you do not mention is nuggets or anthracite, we have a stove which is probably different to an open fire.
    But an enjoyable post thanks again

Advertisement