Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin bus driver here, ask questions.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Chemical Burn

How much does a newly recruited bus driver earn?

Does he / she have to get the bus license independently before applying for a job?

Can you choose (within reason) to operate a route of your choice or near where you live?

Does that machine actually count the money or does the driver just see the cash and roughly estimate through a perspex screen? I ask this because I have often put in a tad too much and the bus driver didn't issue me with a change receipt. The driver asked me on one occasion, "how much is in there?".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭rx8

How much does a newly recruited bus driver earn?

Does he / she have to get the bus license independently before applying for a job?

Can you choose (within reason) to operate a route of your choice or near where you live?

Does that machine actually count the money or does the driver just see the cash and roughly estimate through a perspex screen? I ask this because I have often put in a tad too much and the bus driver didn't issue me with a change receipt. The driver asked me on one occasion, "how much is in there?".

New drivers, (although there haven't been any for over 5 years) earn about 32K.
    You would need to have a full car licence first, and they will train you over a 4 week period, culminating in you passing the bus test, and then you get the job.

Choose your own route??? LOL Maybe after 10 years.

The cash is not counted by the machine, you get used to what €2.15 should look like.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,579 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Fair play to the op I was thinking of doing one for train drivers questions but with the knowledge of some lads on here about trains I'd embarrass myself

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭The_Wrecker

rx8 wrote: »
    New drivers, (although there haven't been any for over 5 years) earn about 32K.
    You would need to have a full car licence first, and they will train you over a 4 week period, culminating in you passing the bus test, and then you get the job.

The cash is not counted by the machine, you get used to what €2.15 should look like.

Dont forget the CPC side of the licence these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 I Hate Systems

Q for Bobby,

Has there been a recent change regarding the change receipt at all? The last three times Ive been on a bus they havnt issued me a change receipt. The last of these times I asked the driver, dont ye guys give change anymore? And he just angrily pointed to a sign that said "correct change only". He could have meant monetary change, but Id like some clarification.

I also never noticed the sign before, so I'm just curious. Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Q for Bobby,

Has there been a recent change regarding the change receipt at all? The last three times Ive been on a bus they havnt issued me a change receipt. The last of these times I asked the driver, dont ye guys give change anymore? And he just angrily pointed to a sign that said "correct change only". He could have meant monetary change, but Id like some clarification.

I also never noticed the sign before, so I'm just curious. Thanks in advance.

NO alteration in the Change-Ticket policy.

However I would recommend that anybody who is particularly focused upon it should firstly make it clear to the Busdriver BEFORE dropping the coins into the Vault that they are making an overpayment.

Simply say " €2 for a €1.65 please" or whatever,and perhaps display the coin/s to the Driver,allowing Him/Her to verify the amount.

This also allows the amount to be pre-entered with the Fare so as to allow a single keyboard transaction.

If however,you,as many people do,simply state the fare amount and drop it straight in,then most Drivers will assume you have tendered the correct amount and hit the Fare Button immediately.

The actual cash fare amounts,over time,do accquire a distinctive sound,which is surprisingly accurate.

Some folks may have dropped in €1.55 or €1.45 and a copper washer,but I tend not to get too hysterical once there is at least an effort made.

However,do remember that if you expect the Driver to verify your own coinage amount,then it follows that you should not be surprised if that procedure then has to be carried out with EVERY cash transacting passenger......This can and does lead to increased dwell times and is one of the greatest impediments to maintaining headway on any Dublin Bus route.

I would further suggest that the simple process of accquiring a LeapCard for yourself totally short-circuits the entire nonsensical pahlavah AND provides YOU with a 15% cheaper Fare.

The only downside for some is the removal of the Grandstanding opportunities surounding the rooting for coinage and attendant melodramatic carry on over 25c Change Tickets and the likes. :eek:

Its also worth noting that for the two higher LeapCard fares....€2.10 and €2.45 these are now actually cheaper than the appropriate cash fares were in 2012,ie €2.15 and €2.65...thus removing another reason to give out.

Hope this clarifies the issue for you ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 I Hate Systems

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Hope this clarifies the issue for you ?

It does, thank you for taking the time to respond.

I only get the bus once in a while, when its raining or when the journey is to far to cycle/walk so a leap card wouldn't be worth my while. I'll be sure to take your other advice on board though, thanks!

It does, thank you for taking the time to respond.

I only get the bus once in a while, when its raining or when the journey is to far to cycle/walk so a leap card wouldn't be worth my while. I'll be sure to take your other advice on board though, thanks!

Au contraire IHS,You are almost the ideal Leapcard customer...the entire system may well have been designed around your requirements.

Leapcard as currently configured is aimed directly at the itinerant public transport user.

Remember that after your initial €10 outlay,you then will never have to be concerned about having the correct change or in fact having enough funds for a journey home etc.

With validity on Luas,Dart,BurbRail,DublinBus,and Matthews Coaches it is even more useful than attempting to carry cash.

Well worth your time carrying one ...:D

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

I only get the bus once in a while, when its raining or when the journey is to far to cycle/walk so a leap card wouldn't be worth my while.
    That's what I thought, but after the hilarity that was this thread, I got one. It's used infrequently by the missus and I, spends most of the time in my wallet, but it doesn't cost me anything and saves us a few cents now and again. Has been used on Dublin Bus and the Luas so far. Makes it quicker to get on and off too.

Consider it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

AlekSmart wrote: »

Au contraire IHS,You are almost the ideal Leapcard customer...the entire system may well have been designed around your requirements.

Leapcard as currently configured is aimed directly at the itinerant public transport user.

Remember that after your initial €10 outlay,you then will never have to be concerned about having the correct change or in fact having enough funds for a journey home etc.

With validity on Luas,Dart,BurbRail,DublinBus,and Matthews Coaches it is even more useful than attempting to carry cash.

Well worth your time carrying one ...:D

does leapcard have you on commission or something!:D

In fairness can't understand people not having leap cards as they're so handy as opposed to fiddling around for exact change.
    Only problem with them is tagging on/off.
    Would it make sense in your own opinion if they just had a standardised leap fare?

• Advertisement

Scortho wrote: »
    does leapcard have you on commission or something!:D

In fairness can't understand people not having leap cards as they're so handy as opposed to fiddling around for exact change.
    Only problem with them is tagging on/off.
    Would it make sense in your own opinion if they just had a standardised leap fare?

Commission....?

I wish,because I'd clean up,going on the lacklustre and ill defined approach to Leapcard thus far...:(

At this stage in proceedings LeapCard use should be in excess of 75%,with people having a very clear understanding of it's benefits.

Instead we have confusion,suspicion and downright derision based largely on ignorance of how Leapcard works.

And yes,Scortho,a standard LeapCard Bus Fare for 90 mins Bus Travel could be marketed to the heavens,BUT the Leap vs Cash difference must be sufficient to grab the interest...I'm suggesting a MINIMUM of 20%.

However,this means SUBSIDY..but I consider it a worthwhile and socially beneficial way to spend our borrowed funding.....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

rx8 wrote: »

This is something I've wondered about before though. Say you're doing an early/late shift, would you not be likely to drive a route at least near-ish to your home because of the early start or late finish? Or do drivers usually get put on routes nowhere near where they live?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

It has nothing to do with where drivers live.

The driver's workplace is the depot they are based in.

This is something I've wondered about before though. Say you're doing an early/late shift, would you not be likely to drive a route at least near-ish to your home because of the early start or late finish? Or do drivers usually get put on routes nowhere near where they live?

The company are not interested in where you choose to live.... but if it's in Portlaoise, Virginia, Rathnew (and there are Ringsend drivers who live in these places ) or wherever... if you are not in when you are supposed to be, then you won't last too long. The one thing they are obsessive about is your attendance.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

Thanks for the replies lxflyer and rx8, I was asking because when I was on the last bus home on an empty bus I ended up talking to the driver as I was getting off the bus and he mentioned that driving the last bus wasn't too bad because he lived up the road. For some reason I thought this would be the case for drivers doing early and late shifts but I guess not. There's my curiousity satisfied!

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭AndrewJD

Who is that lovely DB man who walks around Heuston with the walkie talkie and what is his job? He always seems to be radioing people and directing drivers in addition to ticket checking duties for the commuter tickets.

He's a stance inspector - there are certain buses that work on a "call control" basis, basically peak time extras. He controls them out of Heuston.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

Whats the rule on someone sprinting and waving at the driver, breaking their boll*x trying to get to the stop, the driver waves back and just drives on?

is there a certain point that is considered "at the stop"?

Once the driver starts closing the doors that's it. The bus driver is then focussed on moving into traffic and should not stop to reopen the doors - that's what they are taught to do. I'm sure that Alek will provide his professional analysis for you of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

was just curious saw a poor sod running for one this evening and he missed it. so being the nice guy i am i picked him up and chased that bus down :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I believe in the last year or so some new safety device was added to all there fleet,it means when the doors are open the bus cannot move it shifts into neutral.I hear it can take up to 10/15 seconds for the bus to reengage gears,this has rightly stopped a lot of drivers from stopping as its unsafe and you would also never get away from some stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

lxflyer wrote: »
    I'm sure that Alek will provide his professional analysis for you of this.
    You may have to wait a while for that analysis as poor oul Alex has been banished to the naughty step.

Dub13 wrote: »
    I believe in the last year or so some new safety device was added to all there fleet,it means when the doors are open the bus cannot move it shifts into neutral.I hear it can take up to 10/15 seconds for the bus to reengage gears,this has rightly stopped a lot of drivers from stopping as its unsafe and you would also never get away from some stops.

Most of the fleet are now fitted with a door brake,(except the few WV's) which stops the bus from moving with the doors open. The gear does not shift into neutral, like it used to with the old RV type buses.It does take a few seconds to disengage the door brake when the doors have closed, so re-opening them is really going to slow your progress.

As for stopping or waiting for runners, I think a lot of the time it depends on whether or not the driver is having a good day or not, or if the bus is running late.
    In my case, if I see you making an effort to get the bus then I'll wait for you, if you are just strolling along, then GTFO.

I remember drivers of Olympians leaving the entrance door open on warm summer days, even when the bus was moving. I'm not sure if they were RAs or RVs though.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Rabbitt

Karsini wrote: »
    I remember drivers of Olympians leaving the entrance door open on warm summer days, even when the bus was moving. I'm not sure if they were RAs or RVs though.

A couple more questions for the driver

When you start a shift can you pick any bus and if not what determines the bus you take?
    How often are buses cleaned?
    I sometimes see buses stopped at shops etc when out of service or on a break, is there a lock or secure device that stops some skanger robbing it?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

What's going on here?
    734635_515183768524058_1284976879_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Rabbitt

What's going on here?

Jackie Healy Rae and his son getting on a bus

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭The_Wrecker

Rabbitt wrote: »
    A couple more questions for the driver

When you start a shift can you pick any bus and if not what determines the bus you take?

Cheers

These days they are allocated depending on being defect free. I remember once in the 90's being chased to Sandymount green by a mechanic to retrieve his tool box. Another time (old RA) heading down the N11 and full after a few stops ~ no seats upstairs....Being refitted from grey to blue seating.
    So you can see the importance of allocating and walk around checks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

What's going on here?
    Back-up power unit being fitted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

Crew changeover.

Advertisement