Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin bus driver here, ask questions.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Nice business opportunity for some entrepreneur - do a deal with a bunch of schools - the old Imps would be perfect as school buses.

A lot of schools tend to organise coaches themselves anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

A lot of schools tend to organise coaches themselves anyway.

I honestly don't think you're correct in that, Drakovich - not judging from the local schools where I am, or from the huge increase in traffic citywide during school terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Every thread is spoiled by one goddam poster.

Fair play to OP. Very informative.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,284 ✭✭✭markpb

Known as TPO employees. Refuse to work unless Two Person Operated. Not many left these days

Really? Was it in their contract that they would drive with a conductor or how did they conduct that protest?
    I honestly don't think you're correct in that, Drakovich - not judging from the local schools where I am, or from the huge increase in traffic citywide during school terms.

There will always be school traffic - you can't assume there are no school buses. Some people will not be on a school bus route, others will choose to go to different school for different reasons (moved from that area, have siblings or friends in the school, near to a parents work place, on route to a parents work place, viewed as a better school). Some people will needlessly drive their children to school even though it's a short walk or a school bus is available. Some children may be driven to a Luas or train which brings them to school.

Likewise, there will always be a drop in traffic during the school holidays because parents take time off to mind their children or because they're going on holidays. Even if those children used a school bus service, traffic will drop during that time.

People have, for some reason, decided that school traffic is a) the root and cause of all their traffic problems and b) somehow less of a priority than themselves. It was pointed out in a different thread here that a parent driving their kids to school and then continuing to drive to work themselves may actually make better use of road space than a person driving to work by themselves.

All the things that people say would fix school traffic could equally be applied to themselves.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I'm from Clondalkin myself. All the primary schools were associated with parent groups who organised coaches.

I'm living in Carpenterstown now and the local schools use coaches. there's also a pickup point outside my apartment block for coaches. Not too sure where they go off to, but for schoolkids as well.

These would all be organised between the schools and parents depending on demand.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I'm from Clondalkin myself. All the primary schools were associated with parent groups who organised coaches.

I'm living in Carpenterstown now and the local schools use coaches. there's also a pickup point outside my apartment block for coaches. Not too sure where they go off to, but for schoolkids as well.

These would all be organised between the schools and parents depending on demand.

Yeah but thats only areas where there are a load of kids in the one school. Not all schools have them to pick up all kids. Where I went to school they had two but that probably brought maybe 100 out of 700+ people to school every day.

Yeah but thats only areas where there are a load of kids in the one school. Not all schools have them to pick up all kids. Where I went to school they had two but that probably brought maybe 100 out of 700+ people to school every day.

It's all based on parent demand. If enough put it forward and can organise proper pickup points with a coach company. It really isn't all that hard.

I'm on the direct route to four schools (three primary, one secondary), and have never seen a coach or private bus with kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

why do we have 24 hour bus lanes?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    Ive gotten the 38s, 39s and 130 regularily and only found them packed at peak times, get a bus around 10am or 3 in the afternoon and their rarely more then half full.

Buses are never going to be full all the time unless you go down the road of offering one every 3 hours or do what the 123 had to put up with for years and the WV types that crushed as many people in as possible.

You're not going to attract people to a service when every bus is full.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Bazzer2

why do we have 24 hour bus lanes?

Bus lanes are not just for the likes of Dublin Bus. Private buses, coaches and taxis still operate after 11.30pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

Does DB actually operate any single deckers ?

haro124 wrote: »
    Does DB actually operate any single deckers ?

They had the WV class but these have been withdrawn over the last few years. Only a handful left now at Donnybrook and they'll be all gone soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭The_Wrecker

Karsini wrote: »
    They had the WV class but these have been withdrawn over the last few years. Only a handful left now at Donnybrook and they'll be all gone soon.

To be replaced with 3 single decker new builds for route 44b.

Haruki wrote: »
    Great tread, thanks.
    What's the highest mileage you have seen or heard of on a bus ?
    And how often are drivers given a medical check-up ?

The clocks are never too reliable after a few years and new dashes etc.
    Medical checks are up to the drivers themselves unless a history exists then the company doctor will seek you out quite often.

And where did all the women drivers go? It's weird that they were common enough a few years ago and now I never see them.

And where did all the women drivers go? It's weird that they were common enough a few years ago and now I never see them.

There all still present in my own depot and fair play to them. It can be a trying job and the best of time for the 15st bloke.

There all still present in my own depot and fair play to them. It can be a trying job and the best of time for the 15st bloke.

V strange. I haven't seen a woman driving a bus in ages! Ours go out from Harristown and Donnybrook, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

To be replaced with 3 single decker new builds for route 44b.

Any idea of the type or expected delivery of these buses?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

dfx- wrote: »
    Buses are never going to be full all the time unless you go down the road of offering one every 3 hours or do what the 123 had to put up with for years and the WV types that crushed as many people in as possible.

You're not going to attract people to a service when every bus is full.

Of course, I'm still dumbfounded by the groutch's comment that the €1.40 fare should be gotten rid of too free up space on the bus.

Do people expect to leave there house at 8.10am, hop on a half full bus and have time for a coffee and a chat before work. Rush hour dosn't work that way.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Seems to be a few DB drivers on this thread now.

Ye must know through the grapevine who this obnoxious driver is.

https://www.facebook.com/DublinBusNews/posts/377527552323203

Dear paddy Doherty
    Chief executive
    Dublin bus

My name is Thomas griffin and I am a customer on your buses,on the 39 to be exact. I pay 2.65 to and from work Monday to Friday I never complain about anything but this time I feel the need to. After a long hard day at work I'm walking to the bus stop(Aston quay) to get on the 39 bus I realize that I'm late for the bus and begin running to the stop as I'm running I slip in the rain and nearly break both my wrists while catching my fall so I don't shatter (excuse my French) my ****ing face.I also at that time let go of my Exact! Change of 2.65 to which it all fell down a sewage drain,despite being soaking wet now from falling On to the wet floor and being laughed at by half of Dublin I pick myself up and continue running to the bus As I approch the bus, the driver lets on the last person and closes the door in my face! now in your own words MR.Doherty you said : all employees must be polite and helpfu...l. ive seen a bigger smile on a mother attending her sons funeral than what i saw on your bus driver! now as for the bus driver being helpful: he just watched me trip over drop my exact bus change and then close the door in my face he then decided it would be a ****ing fantastic moment to laugh at me while i asked him to let me on the bus to which he shook his head (still laughing) to say no then he drove off leaving me in the ****ing pissing down rain! i really dont want to say this but (what a ****). now as for the time it was about 17.30 bus number 39 at aston quay on the 15/10/2012 i was going to get the bus number and drivers name but like i said before he drove off leaving me standing there like a twat :) now if you could be so kind to stop playing with your nutsack! and do your job and get back to me that would be great!
    See more

Like · · 6,167520 · 16 hours ago ·

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Alexidium

Stheno wrote: »
    Well so far you've admitted you don't check that people are owed change, advocated fare evasion and constantly suggested it's the fault of cyclists anytime they are cut up by busses.
    Says an awful lot about your attitude.

What route do you cover so I can avoid it?

Stop being a moany little prick MR.PERFECT

Stevek101 wrote: »
    Any idea of the type or expected delivery of these buses?

Not even ordered yet. Reports of little white number in Donnybrook yesterday being inspected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Julius Seizure

Lapin wrote: »
    Dear paddy Doherty
    Chief executive
    Dublin bus

My name is Thomas griffin and I am a customer on your buses,on the 39 to be exact. I pay 2.65 to and from work Monday to Friday I never complain about anything but this time I feel the need to. After a long hard day at work I'm walking to the bus stop(Aston quay) to get on the 39 bus I realize that I'm late for the bus and begin running to the stop as I'm running I slip in the rain and nearly break both my wrists while catching my fall so I don't shatter (excuse my French) my ****ing face.I also at that time let go of my Exact! Change of 2.65 to which it all fell down a sewage drain,despite being soaking wet now from falling On to the wet floor and being laughed at by half of Dublin I pick myself up and continue running to the bus As I approch the bus, the driver lets on the last person and closes the door in my face! now in your own words MR.Doherty you said : all employees must be polite and helpfu...l. ive seen a bigger smile on a mother attending her sons funeral than what i saw on your bus driver! now as for the bus driver being helpful: he just watched me trip over drop my exact bus change and then close the door in my face he then decided it would be a ****ing fantastic moment to laugh at me while i asked him to let me on the bus to which he shook his head (still laughing) to say no then he drove off leaving me in the ****ing pissing down rain! i really dont want to say this but (what a ****). now as for the time it was about 17.30 bus number 39 at aston quay on the 15/10/2012 i was going to get the bus number and drivers name but like i said before he drove off leaving me standing there like a twat :) now if you could be so kind to stop playing with your nutsack! and do your job and get back to me that would be great!
    See more

Like · · 6,167520 · 16 hours ago ·

Bp6VY.jpg

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Why does the 40 travel in 2 and 3's?

why if according to the timetable there is a bus every 10 mins, i have 30-40 mins for a bus?

why are all the new bus only going southside?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

also on the 40 route. Parnel sq (half way point). Why does the bus pull in, let everyone on the bus and then park itself up for 20 minutes while waiting for a shift changeover, usually meaning other buses come and go while we're sitting on the parked up bus. A couple of times the new driver didn't show up at all and we were all turfed off anyway. It happens very regularly on parnel sq. bus pulls in, you pay on, driver turns off engine and we wait and wait and wait for a new driver at the shift change.

also on parnel sq, why is there 4 million bus stops squashed into a small stretch of road. It means when a bus pulls in, another bus just cruises by the stop as it doesn't see the people queing. For example if a number 9 pulls in, then a 40 goes straight by because it physically can't pull in. People running laps up and down the square and running out into the middle of the road to stop a bus in the middle traffic lane is a common sight.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Alexidium wrote: »
    Stop being a moany little prick MR.PERFECT

She is spot on. Poor management at Dublin bus, drivers do their job properly they get hauled into the office for upsetting customers - they don't and they're left alone. It is a sign of a badly managed service, then, we all already know dublin bus is badly managed.

Now regretting not complaining about a driver I got a few years ago though, would be nice to know he got ripped apart for being an arse.

also on the 40 route. Parnel sq (half way point). Why does the bus pull in, let everyone on the bus and then park itself up for 20 minutes while waiting for a shift changeover, usually meaning other buses come and go while we're sitting on the parked up bus. A couple of times the new driver didn't show up at all and we were all turfed off anyway. It happens very regularly on parnel sq. bus pulls in, you pay on, driver turns off engine and we wait and wait and wait for a new driver at the shift change.

Mentioned that in my post above as well. They shouldn't be changing shifts halfway through a route. That's poor service. Then when the new driver finally shows up they start yapping to each other.

They shouldn't be changing shifts halfway through a route. That's poor service. Then when the new driver finally shows up they start yapping to each other.

They're essentially civil servants; they have no incentive to serve their customers well.

My mother told me that when she was a girl, in the 1930s, there were several competing bus companies working all the routes in Dublin. Drivers and conductors got bonuses for smart timekeeping on the routes and for the number of customers they picked up and got fares from. She said the service was phenomenal then.

They shouldn't be changing shifts halfway through a route. That's poor service.

No, that's efficiency and is standard practice in bus companies all over the world.

• Advertisement

Lapin wrote: »
    now if you could be so kind to stop playing with your nutsack! and do your job and get back to me that would be great![/B]

You think by asking him to stop playing with his nutsack will get you a reply? You just come across as a crank.

Advertisement