Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Namesake used 'my' gmail for FB in error

Options
  • 12-10-2012 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

Hope this is the right place.

So say my name is Joey Shabadoo. I have two email addresses. joeyshabadoo@hotmail.com and joeyshabadoo@gmail.com.

There's another Joey Shabadoo elsewhere in Ireland. It seems he set himself up a FB account but stated that his email was also joeyshabadoo@gmail.com, which is my much lesser used account. It obviously worked out for him because he's clearly FB'ing like crazy.

I checked in on my gmail, having decided to use it more. I have a ton of FB spam for this other Joey Shabadoo. Every friend request, PM, etc etc.

I realised the mistake and realised that there was no option on this guy's profile to message this guy to tell him I'm getting all his FB activity laid out before me and he needs to register a different email address on FB in order to stop this. I sent him a friend request in the hope that he would accept it and I could explain to him what he needs to do. He never accepted this and I'm still getting his FB spam, and LOTS of it and can't contact him another way as far as I can see.

What can I do at this stage?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

you can message people without being friends with them, i think

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Write to (or email) Facebook and tell them.
    Was there not some sort of confirmation email sent to 'your' address?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Contact facebook? Report the messages as spam?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭col.in.Cr

I wonder if your able to recover his FB password and then close his account or at least change the email account linked to it.A bit harsh but what happens if his FB gets into trouble and it comes back on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

you can message people without being friends with them, i think

Not this guy for some reason. Maybe he's a minor? He looks like a teenager in his profile pic.
    spurious wrote: »
    Write to (or email) Facebook and tell them.
    Was there not some sort of confirmation email sent to 'your' address?
    MarkR wrote: »
    Contact facebook? Report the messages as spam?

I'm trying to contact them but it's not exactly easy to navigate the help menus :rolleyes:
    col.in.Cr wrote: »
    I wonder if your able to recover his FB password and then close his account or at least change the email account linked to it.A bit harsh but what happens if his FB gets into trouble and it comes back on you.

I'll leave that kind of thing as a last resort I think but if it has to be done...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

How could he have registered an email address with Facebook without replying to a confirmation email?!

I have no idea. I actually found his activation emails from 2010...

Is it possible that he started with one email address but realised there was an issue and added another without cancelling mine???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

cantdecide wrote: »

Is it possible that he started with one account but realised there was an issue and added another without cancelling mine???

Is it possible he is forwarding his email onto your account? Does the send-to field in the message match your address?

This is a confusing one, how could he have registered with your email if he didn't have access to your account? Is it possible your email was hacked? Do you have a strong password?

Plenty of questions I know.

Is it possible he is forwarding his email onto your account? Does the send-to field in the message match your address?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. It does say that "This message was sent to joeyshabadoo@gmail.com" and the From thingie says "Facebook update+kjdm-jm7-v3m@facebookmail.com" type things. I have seen emails from his mates saying things like "wots da craic laad" and that kind of thing and the usual acknowledgements of friend requests and that sort of thing all from Irish type names. They seen to be legit FB update mails the same as I get for my FB account in my hotmail inbox. I definitely don't suspect foul play.

My gmail password is strong as an ox.
    This is a confusing one, how could he have registered with your email if he didn't have access to your account

This is the thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

maybe contact his FB friends and ask them to pass on your message?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

col.in.Cr wrote: »

I've done this.

Some guy with the same name as me and I kept getting updates from some job site, along with a steady stream of emails from a relative of his, initially I thought it was some relative of mine (same surname) so I ignored it. I emailed the sender and never got a response but the mails stopped. But I kept getting updates about job ads and such. I ended up resetting his password, logging in and changing his email address, at least I wasn't mean enough to edit his CV first.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Similar thing happened to me a couple months ago. A lad posted his old phone to one of those cash for mobiles websites and used my email. They were going to send the phone back at his expense unless he responded to them. So I reset his password and logged into his account and luckily his phone number was in his profile so I rang him and sorted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,465 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

cantdecide wrote: »

You must have (by accident) clicked on the link in the activation email :)

Why don't you just close your gmail account? Problem solved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

That's the worst name I've ever heard OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Could he have registered with another email address when he set up his account. Say @yahoo.co.uk for example. And then when on the site a while, changed this email address to @gmail in the settings part of the site?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

unkel wrote: »
    You must have (by accident) clicked on the link in the activation email :)

Why don't you just close your gmail account? Problem solved.

It's still unopened.
    That's the worst name I've ever heard OP.

:')
    /runs
    Merkin wrote: »
    Could he have registered with another email address when he set up his account. Say @yahoo.co.uk for example. And then when on the site a while, changed this email address to @gmail in the settings part of the site?

I don't know and I've decided I don't care about the whys any more. I've contacted two of his friends. I've added him myself. I've given it weeks and nothing has happened.

I've tried to go to his FB and reset his password but it keeps directing me back to my own FB using the different methods under the 'Forgotten your password' link.

Any other suggestions?

Advertisement