Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how long will a fry last for in the oven?

Options
  • 12-10-2012 6:27pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭

how long would a fry last in the oven just to keep it warm? would it last an hour without all the stuff drying up? eg fried egg, liver, sausage, rashers, puddings etc?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

If you cover everything with tinfoil it might, especially if you fry the rashers - grilled rashers won't last in the oven. 100C is usually hot enough.
    Fried eggs won't even last minutes I'm afraid. You could poach the eggs then drop them into a bowl of iced water, then pop them into boiling water for 1 minute to heat them.

Edit: I don't eat liver so I don't know about that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

If you cover everything with tinfoil it might, especially if you fry the rashers - grilled rashers won't last in the oven. 100C is usually hot enough.
    Fried eggs won't even last minutes I'm afraid. You could poach the eggs then drop them into a bowl of iced water, then pop them into boiling water for 1 minute to heat them.

Edit: I don't eat liver so I don't know about that.

100c for an hour would totally over cook something that was already cooked.

75c would be fine, you are just trying to hold the temp.

They will all be over cooked and dried though, there's no way around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I would rather have eat many things cold -rather than being dried out in an oven for an hour. Or they might turn out being better off microwaved after the hour. The trick is not to microwave too long or on too high a power, which so many people do and then give microwaves a very bad name.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

My mother is very fond of the old fashion technique of reheating meals or keeping them hot using steam.

Just put the plate wrapped in tinfoil over a pot of simmering water.

It keeps the food hot and it doesn't dry out nearly as much,

Mind you, I do not think it is possible to keep food that is not in a sauce hot for an hour and is usually a bad idea.

Surely, letting it go cold and reheating is better.

Advertisement