Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blessing yourself passing a graveyard / church

• 12-10-2012 6:32pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Neewbie_noob

Do you do it? As a child, it was practically beaten into me by my parents / grandparents, and as a 21 year old I still do it. It's only a thing I see elderly people and a few middle agers doing, and rarely see young people doing it.

Do you bless yourself passing the church / graveyard / hearing the angelus? 159 votes

I'm Atheist but I still do
    0%
    I'm atheist and I don't
    1%
    LuxieherissonKurz 3 votes
    I believe in God and I do
    70%
    TwoShedsJacksonRabiesgenieHelixdr strangelovePsychedelicixoyefbnlgbbbblthtoxofTomk1FirewalkwithmeDave147CorkfeenThe GnomeKnasherZebra3Duggy747ShenshenShryke 112 votes
    I believe in God but I still don't do it
    27%
    Valentina[Deleted User]R0otKablamo!steph1confused1986[Deleted User]Cian92LiamMcJamieKLizTAlice1Claregirlhairyprincesspadd b1975thebull09FuinseogCavanCrewAudreyHepburnJJayoo 44 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

Of course i don't, that would be silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Why would an atheist do it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Where's the option for standing still and looking at the sky when hearing the Angelus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Is it supposed to bring the people back to life or something.. or is it just a sign of respect for the dead as you drive by in a hurry to go shopping?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Why would i bless myself to a concrete and mortar building ? i know some buildings are nice and well constructed with a splash of pan-ash but to bless myself to it just makes no sense to me, i don't see the reason to do so. Never walk through a graveyard at night, run through it if need be you don't have time to bless yourself your running so fast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

I notice my 64-year-old, fairly religious sister does it and just wish she wouldn't take her hand off the steering wheel so often, but it's something that we all learned from interminably repeated example when we were children. Some would call it "conditioning", others "brainwashing".:)

Having lived abroad for so long, I'm still vaguely amused at the expression "blessing themselves". It's called "making the sign of the cross" in most other places.:D

Anyway, how can people bless themselves? Pretty egocentric if you ask me.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Is it supposed to bring the people back to life or something.. or is it just a sign of respect for the dead as you drive by in a hurry to go shopping?

It's like giving a 'thanks' to the people who are buried in that graveyard. Inside in the pub in heaven (or even hell, pubs there too but they'd be dodgy) one lad would say to another 'got 50 blesses today lad, ploughing match on this year by where I'm buried, even got one from one of my cousin's descendents.

but they wouldn't boast about it too loudly, mostly just something that puts a gentle smile on their face when they'd be in their arm chair sitting by the fire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,677 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I remember my mother used to always bless herself passing a graveyard.

I would imagine only the older generation would do it now.

eth0 wrote: »
    It's like giving a 'thanks' to the people who are buried in that graveyard.

I had the opposite impression. It was a protective gesture (in case anything was stirring there)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

I wonder how many vehicle accidents are related to people looking at and blessing themselves at a church or graveyard while driving by on a narrow road or any road for that matter. I think the art of blessing oneself while driving should be banned in the up-coming traffic law. :pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I object to the poll, religion or not has no place in this subject matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

zenno wrote: »
    I wonder how many vehicle accidents are related to people looking at and blessing themselves at a church or graveyard while driving by on a narrow road or any road for that matter. I think the art of blessing oneself while driving should be banned in the up-coming traffic law. :pac::pac:

The people who do, do it instinctively. A lot even slow down a bit for the graveyard. Doesn't really cause a problem I'd say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

I had the opposite impression. It was a protective gesture (in case anything was stirring there)

Doubly so when passing the church.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Where the "I dont give a crap-theist" and I dont have time to be thinking about such matters option?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

El Weirdo wrote: »

So they don't get spotted by the mob and burned at the stake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Lifelong habit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭darlett

Im a prod in my twenties. I distinctly remember thinking 'what is THIS sorcery?' when our under age team travelling on a mini-bus would pass a chapel and the Roman Cats on the bus (that'd be everyone else) would be crossing themselves quite aggressively. Anecdotal but crossing themselves isnt just for the old.

Watch me doing the same to try and fit in, even though I didnt even grasp the correct movements naturally

Not all theists would do it either :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

I do it....my grandmother does it 3 times.

I also do it when an ambulance goes by, I have no idea why, been doing it for years.

Meh on one hand I know its pointless and makes me look a bit crazy but it makes me feel a little better.

I touch wood a lot, yet I'd walk under a ladder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I am an atheist and have done of occasionally put of habit, only when passing a funeral/accident/ambulance, I think it's a shock/sympathy reaction for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

gbee wrote: »
    I object to the poll, religion or not has no place in this subject matter.

Your objection has been noted and ignored, not unlike my (and some of my fellow atheists') objection to the 'The Angelus' being broadcast daily on national TV and radio in a supposed pluralist country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Do you do it? As a child, it was practically beaten into me by my parents / grandparents,

Sums up a lot of so-called religious people. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

darlett wrote: »
    Im a prod in my twenties. I distinctly remember thinking 'what is THIS sorcery?' when our under age team travelling on a mini-bus would pass a chapel and the Roman Cats on the bus (that'd be everyone else) would be crossing themselves quite aggressively. Anecdotal but crossing themselves isnt just for the old.

I remember being in a mini-bus myself with my chums at ten (I'm 24 now) and I was the only one who didn't bless himself. All of my pals were really shocked and offended I didn't do it. "Aren't you a real catholic" etc etc.

My mother always did it but I just never picked up the habit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Tbh I only do this and only see the significance in doing that or at least turning down any headphones/car radio or staying silent as you pass by the graveyard when its a graveyyard that someone i know/was related to was laid to rest there, it just seems approprate in that circumstance but other than that i dont.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I usually do, just out of respect. And most often when I hear ambulance or fire brigade sirens, thinking of who they are for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Bear with me on this one..

I don't believe in God myself, but I attend weddings, christenings and what not in a catholic church for people who want to do all this in a catholic church. I don't believe most of them are god fearing people themselves.

I got married myself in a catholic church, purely to satisfy older relations objections to a registry office job. During the initial meeting with the priest I told him I'd have a short service, and he asked me why. I asked him, "when have you ever seen me before?" He said he hadn't, and I explained that I was going ahead with it because it was unheard of in the family. He didn't try to debate it out with me, but allowed me a shorter service.

Going back to the point I was originally trying to make, and while it may seem hypocritical, we still have living relatives that were very much so catholic in their ways. I also drove my grandmother about before she died when she needed me, and straight away she was blessing herself if she passed a church - she scowled unless I did it too. Now my grandmother is gone, I don't bless myself passing the church every time I pass, but I always do at a funeral, and I slow down out of respect while the hearse drives passed my car.

It's nothing to do with my OWN beliefs, it's moreso of a respect for others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

a lot of people probably just do it out of habit, like those holy water dishes you see beside peoples front door, or throwing holy water on a new car (yeah that'll help), quirky traditions that you're not sure why you do them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

I don't bless myself passing a graveyard or church, but strangely enough I do if I pass a hearse. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

I'm atheist and I don't

Force of habit i got into when i was younger from my parents. I dont know why i still do it, it just seems to be an automatic response for me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭say_who_now?

mauzo wrote: »

I touch wood a lot too, sometimes I even stroke it :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

mauzo wrote: »

hehe :P

edit: damn you say who now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

As a non catholic it really threw me when I arrived in Ireland 20 odd years ago.

I really had worries that my driving was so bad whenever someone in the car crossed themselves :)

As an aside though since starting to drive a taxi I have noticed the number of people who will ask for me to slow down and honk the horn outside a graveyard as an acknowledgement to someone they knew who's buried there

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

Don't think many people would bless them selves these days though i stop if i see a hearse going past as respect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

I do only for Graveyards , more out of respect tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I do it for graveyards, churches and ambulance/fire brigade sirens. Mainly out of habit but I don't think its a bad habit to have either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I bless myself when an ambulance passes. When I remember to. It's more of a 'will anyone who might be ouot there please help those who pass within' than anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

I used to. Now I just say "God love them" when I pass a cross at the side of a road or whatever. Also, when an ambulance passes.

I'm generally disgusted at the way the inside of churches have seats, walls and the like requesting you to pray for deceased people who only have the request there because they/their relatives had the money to pay for it. If you haven't the money, forget about having such a memorial in "God's church".

Deeply disgusting, actually. Not much has changed since Wittenberg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

MadsL wrote: »
    Where's the option for standing still and looking at the sky when hearing the Angelus?

I simulate ringing a bell for added realism... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

I always do it! to both graveyards and churches, it gets real awkward when the person beside you on the bus / taxi man does it too and we keep driving in awkward silence... its like I see what you did there:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭GoldenLight

It a respect to the dead, likewise when people pass a funeral, it just a respect thing, really nothing to do with the catholic church, it's like a minute's silence, nothing to do with faith, more to do with the extraordinaire power that death has on all of us.

I don't sign of the cross mostly, but I would if I believed the person who died would have felt comfort from it (this includes their family)

I believe that is a way I can show respect without challenge someone who is already being extremely hurt.

So every time I pass by a grave yard or a funeral , I say a little to my God.

Cause people deserve that, regardless of who they are.

Aren't we all built in gods image, so therefore no faith or believe is wrong, until bastardis it and make are faith or religion the only right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

My mother would say God rest their souls when we passed a graveyard in the car. I do this also, although if I've company I say it in my head instead. I'm ashamed of that really, after many years as a lapsed Christian I have once again become interested in my inherited faith. I should really be comfortable with that, but yet I fear ridicule from my peers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Where's the option for I am not an atheist or a christian and don't?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

I just bless myself when I sneeze.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

How about ... who gives a fuck?
    and let people do or believe what they want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭GoldenLight

How about ... who gives a fuck?
    and let people do or believe what they want to.

Why the **** not, now think about what you said, really think about it, a life without morals, how do you think it would work for you???

Most mainstream religions have a bases of "social" morals, which means society doesn't break down. I'm not saying their right I just saying they help society for that moment in time. And we can disagree to the cows do or don't come home, that is faith and believe.

My point is and was that, if I pass by a funeral or a grave yard, I will pay respect towards the people that are buried or about to be buried in that grave yard. (no harm done it's in respect to them and their family, and believes)

One thing we all our sure of is dieing, regardless of what you believe

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Just no.... I'm a Catholic who grew up in the 80s and I've never felt pressurised into making the sign of the Cross. My parents, who are as observant as most Catholics their age, don't take part in the ritual, so it wasn't 'bet into' me - unlike, apparently, lots of much younger posters.
    It's not like I stick 2 fingers up at the headstones - I just treat church property in the same way I treat, say, state or community property. Anything wrong with that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

I'm amazed that nobody has suggested blasting them with youknowwhat :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Why the **** not, now think about what you said, really think about it, a life without morals, how do you think it would work for you???

Most mainstream religions have a bases of "social" morals, which means society doesn't break down. I'm not saying their right I just saying they help society for that moment in time. And we can disagree to the cows do or don't come home, that is faith and believe.

My point is and was that, if I pass by a funeral or a grave yard, I will pay respect towards the people that are buried or about to be buried in that grave yard. (no harm done it's in respect to them and their family, and believes)

One thing we all our sure of is dieing, regardless of what you believe

:D

Did you not read my post .. and just pull that out of your ass? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Abi wrote: »
    Bear with me on this one..

I don't believe in God myself, but I attend weddings, christenings and what not in a catholic church for people who want to do all this in a catholic church. I don't believe most of them are god fearing people themselves.

I got married myself in a catholic church, purely to satisfy older relations objections to a registry office job. During the initial meeting with the priest I told him I'd have a short service, and he asked me why. I asked him, "when have you ever seen me before?" He said he hadn't, and I explained that I was going ahead with it because it was unheard of in the family. He didn't try to debate it out with me, but allowed me a shorter service.

Going back to the point I was originally trying to make, and while it may seem hypocritical, we still have living relatives that were very much so catholic in their ways. I also drove my grandmother about before she died when she needed me, and straight away she was blessing herself if she passed a church - she scowled unless I did it too. Now my grandmother is gone, I don't bless myself passing the church every time I pass, but I always do at a funeral, and I slow down out of respect while the hearse drives passed my car.

It's nothing to do with my OWN beliefs, it's moreso of a respect for others.

I find your post really sad that you felt the most important day of your life should be dictated and hijacked by others who had no respect for your beliefs (or lack of). It also says a lot about the Roman church that they were desperate enough for the few quid (no doubt an undeclared "donation") that they granted you a false wedding (not false civil, but fake religious ceremony).

Your grandmother also sounds like a bully, and if you were old enough to be driving her around, you should have stood up to her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

Spread wrote: »
    I'm amazed that nobody has suggested blasting them with youknowwhat :)

holy water?

• Advertisement
Advertisement