Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blessing yourself passing a graveyard / church

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

You may as well be Breakdancing going past a graveyard ffs,sure they"re rotting in the ground and not caring about anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

I believe in God and I do
    nbar12 wrote: »
    holy water?

Up there to the top of the class, young fellow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭say_who_now?

I believe in God but I still don't do it
    Spread wrote: »
    I'm amazed that nobody has suggested blasting them with youknowwhat :)

The car horn? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭GoldenLight

Did you not read my post .. and just pull that out of your ass? :confused:

I read your post, thank you.

I appear to be able to explain myself better than you though.

Sorry about that

Mind you I suspect I could be wrong:D

Go on prove me wrong, cause I know I'm right ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Meh, I don't even say bless you when someone sneezes. How stupid a tradition is that? Despite an extremely catholic mother, that kind of thing was never enforced on us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I usually do - but most consistently for my " local" graveyard where people I know are buried. Mark of respect & to speed them on their way. In " other" graveyards, particularly driving alone in the dark down lonely roads I tend more to doit tokeep ME from harm... In case anything is lurking that might get me, on my way...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Adyx wrote: »
    Meh, I don't even say bless you when someone sneezes. How stupid a tradition is that?

I f***ing hate when I sneeze and some says "God bless you".

F*** you and your fictional cloud bloke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭say_who_now?

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Adyx wrote: »
    Meh, I don't even say bless you when someone sneezes. How stupid a tradition is that?

Awh, bless... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭yore

You're so cool and smart and original man. Did you think that up all by yourself? Fair play

Do you give a similar response if you're walking through Dublin and you hear a "ah heyorrrr, jayyyysuuuus christtt, learvve irh fuuuukin ouh"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭yore

9959 wrote: »
    Your objection has been noted and ignored, not unlike my (and some of my fellow atheists') objection to the 'The Angelus' being broadcast daily on national TV and radio in a supposed pluralist country.

I can't stand this self-righteous crap to be honest. What's the problem? I object to the feckin X-factor or similar shite you see on the telly these days. doesn't mean I go and get all high and mighty wanting it to be taken down especially for me.

Watch another station you heathen. One with lots about hell and all that. It'll help you for when you get there. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,677 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

You may as well be Breakdancing going past a graveyard ffs,sure they"re rotting in the ground and not caring about anything.

I'm sure other people have a different opinion about their family members/friends who are laid to rest in a graveyard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Yeah it's probably a bit of a misnomer, they really should be saying "bless me" as the origin goes back to one of the symptoms of the plague, where if you sneezed it was a sign of your impending death and they wouldn't be wanting to catch it.

One explanation holds that the custom originally began as an actual blessing. Gregory I became Pope in AD 590 as an outbreak of the bubonic plague was reaching Rome. In hopes of fighting off the disease, he ordered unending prayer and parades of chanters through the streets. At the time, sneezing was thought to be an early symptom of the plague. The blessing ("God bless you!") became a common effort to halt the disease.

Wonder if that's were they got "catch your death of cold" as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Gesundheit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

As far as I can tell people do it because of a belief in transubstantiation. Namely in Roman Catholic thought the host is contained within the church. I don't do this because I don't think there is anything Biblical to support that teaching.

Most people I ask who do it don't know why they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Where the "I dont give a crap-theist" and I dont have time to be thinking about such matters option?

Yet you have time to post about it? ;)
    krudler wrote: »
    a lot of people probably just do it out of habit, like those holy water dishes you see beside peoples front door, or throwing holy water on a new car (yeah that'll help), quirky traditions that you're not sure why you do them.

I remember, after I got my very first car, it was all clean and polished within an inch of its life. Brought it to show to a friend, whose mother proceeded to liberally douse it in holy water. I didn't stop her from doing it, but my big concern was that there might be something in the water that could damage the paintwork! :o

Anyways, I'm atheist, and no I don't bless myself in those situations. Always find it a wee bit awkward when you're with someone who does it though. Especially if it's someone who would assume I'm Catholic, and then sits there waiting for me to do it, in judgemental silence. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

yore wrote: »
    I can't stand this self-righteous crap to be honest. What's the problem? I object to the feckin X-factor or similar shite you see on the telly these days. doesn't mean I go and get all high and mighty wanting it to be taken down especially for me.

Watch another station you heathen. One with lots about hell and all that. It'll help you for when you get there. :p

Damned to hell on a internet forum. Yikes!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Its a Catholic thing in Ireland, or at least it used to be. I remember well being on the top deck of any smoke filled Dublin bus back in the late 70s, and everybody nearly everybody would bless themselves in unison as we passed a Church, any Church :))

The practice seems to have died out somewhat nowadays, and you don't see those little statues on car dash boards nowadays either!

Car dash, Ireland 1970s http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_AGHrpdjYPj0/SIWqAuYpXtI/AAAAAAAAATA/tRkUs0xOT8w/s320/P6120188.jpg

Advertisement