Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cannot sing or will not sing the anthem?

• 12-10-2012 7:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

just saw how more than half the Irish team were not not singing the national anthem. not much singing from the crowd either. things look bad.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Fuinseog wrote: »
    just saw how more than half the Irish team were not not singing the national anthem. not much singing from the crowd either. things look bad.

In fairness the backing track was bloody awful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

They probably dont even know the words to it, like myself. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

dan1895 wrote: »
    In fairness the backing track was bloody awful

true, which is why they slapped on paddy reilly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

Even a half arsed attempt at the anthem is better than that ****e Irelands call song.

I wouldn't sing it, means nothing to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I sing it like a true Irish person, the first two lines then mumble my way through the rest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Simon Cox sang it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭cml387

When none of the team could sing the anthem we had a world beating side.

They probably dont even know the words to it, like myself. :D

you could still move your lips and pretend. inspire the fans.

whastever happened to 'is feidr linn' and ' you will never beta the irish'?

maybe not all players are Irish?
    I think it was the nineties when CJ haughey was taoiseach and he went into the dressing rooms to congraulate the players and many of them had no idea who he was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Most of them were born in England don't think they learn it over there!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

The Ultravox thread is here

Anyway our anthem is mana na na of anthems , we all know the opening three words and thats it

it means something to the fans. while it shouted ****e on the bagpipes they could have piped up themselves and lift the spirits.

BTW is Angie Merkel about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

If Ireland manage to win this match I'll sing it on behalf of everyone, on top of Croagh Patrick... in the nip

I'll even learn the words for the occasion

If Ireland manage to win this match I'll sing it on behalf of everyone, on top of Croagh Patrick... in the nip

no one gave them a chance in stuttgart in 88 either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

you could still move your lips and pretend. inspire the fans.

whastever happened to 'is feidr linn'

I dont know what that means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

The National Anthem was beat into us in primary school and I'm glad it. I think it deadly to see a team belting it out.

Understandably the English born wouldn't know it but the Irish born have no excuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

cml387 wrote: »
    When none of the team could sing the anthem we had a world beating side.

When did we have a "world beating side", I must have missed that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

From this link

"Mr Harte's daughter Michaela, a constant presence at her father's side following the county's successes, reportedly taught the Tyrone team how to sing 'Amhran na bhFiann' ahead of that now famous all-Ulster clash."

It means something to a lot of people, so if its being sung at the least the national team should know it.

• Advertisement

Nobody's obliged to sing, just to show respect.

no one gave them a chance in stuttgart in 88 either

We didn't have Trap wrecking the buzz with his conservatism in Stuttgart

mrsoundie wrote: »
    From this link

"Mr Harte's daughter Michaela, a constant presence at her father's side following the county's successes, reportedly taught the Tyrone team how to sing 'Amhran na bhFiann' ahead of that now famous all-Ulster clash."

It means something to a lot of people, so if its being sung at the least the national team should know it.

That's ironic. When last I looked, Tyrone was part of The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

9959 wrote: »
    That's ironic. When last I looked, Tyrone was part of The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Buts its GAA so they must have learned it for Croke Park or the like.

Just remember hearing Mickey Harte talking about his daughter teaching the team phonetically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Sappa wrote: »
    Even a half arsed attempt at the anthem is better than that ****e Irelands call song.

Dont get why people have such a problem with Irelands Call. Its the anthem for a team that is representing the island of Ireland, not the Republic, when we have home games we play both.

Infairness their both terrible anthems, we should get a new one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

:rolleyes: As if yet another British colonial law claiming ownership of a part of Ireland is going to kill the dreams of Irish people for freedom.

It's no more ironic than how it rained on your ones wedding day.

Anocht a théam sa bhearna baoil,
    Le gean ar Ghaeil, chun báis nó saoil,
    Le gunna scréach faoi lámhach na bpiléar,
    Seo libh canaig amhrán na bhfiann

Those four lines: rousingly ecstatic stuff when sung in a stadium of 82,000 Irish people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The Ultravox thread is here

Anyway our anthem is mana na na of anthems , we all know the opening three words and thats it

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH VIIIIIIIIIIIIennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnaaaaaaah!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

It annoys me more when players don't sing it at GAA matches. All the players are Irish (or from up north) so they don't have an excuse. Didn't most people learn it in Primary school?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Aoifums wrote: »
    It annoys me more when players don't sing it at GAA matches. All the players are Irish (or from up north) and they don't have an excuse.

I think some of them be English (London) or American (New York )

It annoys me more when players don't sing it at GAA matches. All the players are Irish (or from up north) and they don't have an excuse.

Ahem. If they're at a GAA match they're Irish. If they're from Tyrone or Armagh and at a GAA match the chances are they are historically, ethnically and culturally far more Irish than the small group of ignorant people from south of this partitioned country who would like to single them out as being not fully Irish. The irony.

Seanchai wrote: »
    Anocht a théam sa bhearna baoil,
    Le gean ar Ghaeil, chun báis nó saoil,
    Le gunna scréach faoi lámhach na bpiléar,
    Seo libh canaig amhrán na bhfiann

Those four lines: rousingly ecstatic stuff when sung in a stadium of 82,000 Irish people.

Fair play to you Seanchai.
    Are you, by any chance, just back from target practise or perhaps watching endless re-runs of David Cameron's speech at The Conservative Party conference?
    I wonder which one of these?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

It annoys me more when players don't sing it at GAA matches. All the players are Irish (or from up north) so they don't have an excuse. Didn't most people learn it in Primary school?
    I'm pretty sure that it's much more annoying for GAA players from "up north" when people imply that they're not Irish!

Rugby and GAA players generally have long pre match routines that ends with them being totally focused come game time. Many block out all the other nonsense going on around them and concentrate on the task at hand.

Not sure about soccer players but I'd say it's the same, or maybe they just can't sing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

i'll do it for the lads...

• Advertisement

Fair play to you Seanchai.
    Are you, by any chance, just back from target practise or perhaps watching endless re-runs of David Cameron's speech at The Conservative Party conference?
    I wonder which one of these?

Talking of Tories, this one's always good for a laugh when the subject of anthems pop up here, in this case the Welsh one.

Ah here, leave eh owh

It used to be Polish people, perhaps in the eyes of the 'ourselves alone' brigade...

Yawn. Sinn Féin does not mean, and never has meant, "ourselves alone" no matter how many ignorant (usually British nationalist) people claim it. This is the sort of conceited ignorance which marks your utterances on Irish politics and history on this forum. Please go away and educate yourself.

Come on Ireland, 6 goals in the last 30 minutes and we can make this a reality!

It's strange that a thread on the Irish anthem has to mention the British 6000 times.

Admittedly I did mention the Welsh once, but just to break the monotony.

• Advertisement

Come on Ireland, 6 goals in the last 30 minutes and we can make this a reality!

6 goals without reply. I'd be shocked if Germany don't score another two! :o

What have the Romans ever done for us!

I take it from 'up north' you mean Northern Ireland.
    Some people from Northern Ireland feel that they're Irish, some people from 'up north' feel British, e.g. Rory Mcilroy.

But they all have a Catholic/Nationalist back round, you might argue.
    You're probably right, but that then gives the lie to supporters of the GAA who will try to tell you with a straight face that their games are open to all regardless of religion or political allegiance.

So do you still believe that all players at GAA matches should sing the Irish national anthem?

ejmaztec wrote: »
    It's strange that a thread on the Irish anthem has to mention the British 6000 times.

Admittedly I did mention the Welsh once, but just to break the monotony.
    So every time someone here mentions the Brits the Krauts score!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

Seanchai wrote: »
    Ahem. If they're at a GAA match they're Irish. If they're from Tyrone or Armagh and at a GAA match the chances are they are historically, ethnically and culturally far more Irish than the small group of ignorant people from south of this partitioned country who would like to single them out as being not fully Irish. The irony.

And if I'd left out the 'from up north' there would be someone on instantly going "northern Ireland isn't Ireland". Can't win!

hahhaha... big boo there from the crowd when Trapattoni tried to control the ball

I got news for you, they don't teach it here either.

I spent 14 years in primary and secondary education in Ireland, and throughout that time NONE of my teachers ever made ANY attempt to teach it to us. Not in Irish class, history class, civics, or any other class. By the time I was leaving at 17 I figured if it's not important enough for them to teach it then it's probably not important for me to bother learning it. It never came up on a school exam, certainly not on the Junior/Inter and Leaving certs either, so by extension I guess that means it's unlikely to be anywhere on the department of education's curriculum for any subject.

I got news for you, they don't teach it here either.

Fcuk.. just after remembering that the new series of Have I Got News For You was on at 9 :mad:

Best thing Ireland can do now is get 4 men sent off. That way we only lose by default, 1-0 :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

Rugby and GAA players generally have long pre match routines that ends with them being totally focused come game time. Many block out all the other nonsense going on around them and concentrate on the task at hand.

Yeah, I mean you couldn't expect top athletes to start messing about with this nationalist or cultural nonsense before a game, it's too much if a distraction. You'd never see any of the top sides doing it anyway, like the All Blacks...

Feathers wrote: »
    Yeah, I mean you couldn't expect top athletes to start messing about with this nationalist or cultural nonsense before a game, it's too much if a distraction. You'd never see any of the top sides doing it anyway, like the All Blacks...
    When the All Blacks lose the haka is often brought up back in NZ as an unwelcome distraction before the game.

• Advertisement
Advertisement