Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cannot sing or will not sing the anthem?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

It's no more ironic than how it rained on your ones wedding day.

You've obviously never heard of 'situational irony', but don't worry, I'll explain.
    An example of 'situational irony' could be, when a team of sportsmen from one country (Northern Ireland) sing the national anthem of another (The Republic of Ireland) louder and more passionately than those from the country whose anthem it is!

By the way.
    Did you mean 'on ones wedding day' or 'your one's'?
    When can all be picky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

"cannot sing or will not sing the anthem?"

SHEENA FEENA FOIL, ATAW FWEE GYALL EGG EIREANN!

BWEEN DAAR SLOO NA MA NA DEE DAW DEE DOO!

BLAA NEE BLAR NA BRAYY, SHANTIR NA SHINSHARE FAWSTA!

NEE OG FART NA TIR NA NOG FWEEN TRAW!

NA BRING THE CAR SA BEAR THE WHALE!

DA DEE DA DOO NO BOARS NO SALE!

BLA FLEE BLABBY FLOO!

MA NINA BODY BOOOOOOO!

ONNY COGIGG NARAWNN NA VEEEEEEENNNN!!

YEAOW!

There ya go, easy peasy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

9959 wrote: »
    You've obviously never heard of 'situational irony', but don't worry, I'll explain.
    An example of 'situational irony' could be, when a team of sportsmen from one country (Northern Ireland) sing the national anthem of another (The Republic of Ireland) louder and more passionately than those from the country whose anthem it is!

By the way.
    Did you mean 'on ones wedding day' or 'your one's'?
    When can all be picky.

Well with your narrow minded views on what the definition of nationality is; how could you possible be wrong? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

mrsoundie wrote: »
    What have the Romans ever done for us!

This man explains it perfectly.. :pac:.....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I predict a one nil loss to the mighty Faroe Islands on Tuesday. This will result in Trap's release and full payment of remainder of contract. He'll then retire to Italy and see out his days drinking fine wine, toasting the FAI and DOB for being gullible enough to pay him what they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ItAintMeBabe

"Cannot sing" should not be an excuse, shur after tonight it's clear that half of them can't play football either but that doesn't stop them!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Seanchai wrote: »
    Ahem. If they're at a GAA match they're Irish. If they're from Tyrone or Armagh and at a GAA match the chances are they are historically, ethnically and culturally far more Irish than the small group of ignorant people from south of this partitioned country who would like to single them out as being not fully Irish. The irony.

Wouldn't be the most nationalistic, sorry, adhere to the traditional stereotype, but the Irish national anthem played in Crossmaglen or Casement Park for an inter county or Ulster club match, hair standing on back stuff.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

Fuinseog wrote: »
    just saw how more than half the Irish team were not not singing the national anthem. not much singing from the crowd either. things look bad.
    They should sing God Save The Queen.

Far easier to remember and nice catchy tune.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

getzls wrote: »
    They should sing God Save The Queen.

Far easier to remember and nice catchy tune.:D

It might be easier to remember, but it's a sh1t tune unless you need a cure for insomnia.

The French one's the best anthem for waking you up in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

When the All Blacks lose the haka is often brought up back in NZ as an unwelcome distraction before the game.

I've never seen any article or report that mentions the Haka as a distraction to the NZ team — in fact it's the exact opposite: any article that mentions it talk about the psychological edge that it brings them.

Edit: Take a look at the footage of the Irish rugby team lining out in Croke Park against the English the first year we played there, with tears streaming down the face of John Hayes while the anthem rang out at full volume — these guys feed off this adrenaline, there's no way it's a distraction!

Well with your narrow minded views on what the definition of nationality is; how could you possible be wrong? :)

It's not my definition, narrow-minded or otherwise.
    Tyrone is in Northern Ireland. Fact.
    Cork is in The Republic of Ireland. Fact.
    The Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland share the same land mass, but have different currencies, flags, national football teams, governments etc. and yes, national anthems.
    Of course there are strong links between the two that only a fool would deny.
    As this thread has a sporting theme, I know there's an island of Ireland rugby team, I know that Derry City were given permission to play in The League of Ireland, yes because their club was hounded out of Northern Ireland by loyalist sectarianism.
    Believe me when I tell you I'm aware of these things and more besides, but, but, but,
    The Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland are recognised by all major international organisations as being two separate countries. FACT.

The Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland share the same land mass, but have different currencies, flags, national football teams, governments etc. and yes, national anthems.
    As this thread has a sporting theme, I know there's an island of Ireland rugby team, I know that Derry City were given permission to play in The League of Ireland, yes because their club was hounded out of Northern Ireland by loyalist sectarianism.
    Believe me when I tell you I'm aware of these things and more besides, but, but, but,
    The Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland are recognised by all major international organisations as being two separate countries. FACT.

Boxing, Rugby, Hockey? You seem to know a little but not a lot.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

That's some chip on your shoulder. Unfortunately for you, the vast majority of Irish people in the world accept that an Irish person from Tyrone has as much right to an Irish identity as has an Irish person from Cork. It is not only enshrined in the Constitution of the state named Ireland but it is accepted and enshrined in international law since the Belfast Agreement of April 1998. In other words, the right to Irishness of 800,000 Irish citizens living under British occupation in the northeast of this country is internationally and constitutionally protected.

As has been said to you already, you really need to get to a minimum standard of education before attempting to discuss Irish history and politics. Your ignorance is frightening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

Oh, and "Northern Ireland" isn't recognised as a "country" by "all major international organisations" because, well, it would be patently stupid to call the settler-colonial remnant of Britain's Irish colony a "country" when educated people know it's a sectarian herrenvolk secessionary statelet of the country of Ireland.

At most, it's a region of what the British are these days calling the "United Kingdom" state.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭GoldenLight

I have never known or will sing our national athem,

I will stand for it, I don't actually know it (do to me not being able to remember words (including my own songs/poems), and I can't actually sing.

So I might hum it but I have never sang my countries national athem.

But this is somewhere I love with my heart. :D

• Advertisement

Oh, and "Northern Ireland" isn't recognised as a "country" by "all major international organisations" because, well, it would be patently stupid to call the settler-colonial remnant of Britain's Irish colony a "country" when educated people know it's a sectarian herrenvolk secessionary statelet of the country of Ireland.

At most, it's a region of what the British are these days calling the "United Kingdom" state.

FIFA recognise it as a country don't they. As do the European and American Golf tours, along with darts PDC and BDO.

Whether you like it or not it is a country and the majority in the Republic respect that, we don't want those counties back just like Westminster doesn't want to keep them. It doesn't mean that somebody living in the North can't identify themselves with the south.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭yore

I wouldn't sing it, means nothing to me.

Where are you from? If Ireland, do you have an Irish passport? Does a little bit of you die every time you see that golden harp on the front and you remember your, ironically very 'Irish', self loathing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

I predict a one nil loss to the mighty Faroe Islands on Tuesday. This will result in Trap's release and full payment of remainder of contract. He'll then retire to Italy and see out his days drinking fine wine, toasting the FAI and DOB for being gullible enough to pay him what they did.

See, I don't get this mentality that Trap is somehow making an eeijit of the Irish for paying him so much.

Has this feeling only come about since the Euros? Has he not doe the best he could?

He's not exactly working with a huge pool of talent, in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,903 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

It's a super tune to be fair and is great for getting yourself pumped before a game. Second only to Uruguay for the best anthem imo.

I learnt the words at the Gaeltacht and am glad I did even though I'm far from being a patriot.

Rasheed wrote: »
    See, I don't get this mentality that Trap is somehow making an eeijit of the Irish for paying him so much.

Has this feeling only come about since the Euros? Has he not doe the best he could?

He's not exactly working with a huge pool of talent, in fairness.

Yes true its not entirely Trap's fault, he's a savy businessman who got himself a great deal by playing up to fcuking jackasses like that horse faced boy John Delaney. Also he did qualify an average team to the Euros which can't be taken away from him. However in regards to the team like you alluded to, you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I was on a night out with the leads in college a few months back, we were all flaming and somebody said sing the national anthem, after the first line I was left completely on my own. Apparently none of them learned it, and most of these are corkonians! I learned it in primary school, 5th or 6th class if I remember correctly. Haven't the slightest idea what it means as I never took to Irish but my mother has it and the English translation framed in our sitting room so I have a gawk at it from time to time. Until she put it up I didn't know that we only sing the first verse, there is way more to it.

All in all I actually think its a class national anthem, very rousing, many other countries are seriously boring in comparison. I happily belt it out when called upon. Much better than Ireland's call, I hate hearing that, we already had a great national anthem, we don't need that shoite.

K-9 wrote: »

Don't forget about bowls:cool:

Is it only Unionist posters you Mods pick on?

Ah, yes.

Oireland Oireland!! A fcuking embarrassment.. Lads's if you don't want our anthem played run along and form your own team, the Ulster lineup minus the foreigners. See how you get along, still probably finish above the Paddies. :pac:

LOL, I love Gerry Thornley and his green tinted propaganda machine. That fella could write for Pravda.

I did mention Rugby in my post, of which you must have read a little but not the lot.
    I'm aware of the situation in Boxing (big fan) and Hockey (not a big fan).
    I'm also aware of the situations in other sports but thought my post was lengthy enough without banging-on further.
    You failed to mention that other great Irish sport which is ably represented by an All -Ireland team, Cricket! (Doubtless our friend from 'Beal Feariste' is a huge fan).
    Granted, on sport you know a little but not a lot.

2 + 2 = 4
    The world is not flat.
    Northern Ireland is a country.

I did mention Rugby in my post, of which you must have read a little but not the lot.
    I'm aware of the situation in Boxing (big fan) and Hockey (not a big fan).
    I'm also aware of the situations in other sports but thought my post was lentghty enough without banging-on further.
    You failed to mention that other great Irish sport which is ably represented by an All -Ireland team, Cricket! (Doubtless our friend from 'Beal Feariste' is a huge fan).
    Granted, on sport you know a little but not a lot.

2 + 2 = 4
    The world is not flat.
    Northern Ireland is a country.

Ignore him, has a bit of a track record against Unionists.

Ignore him, has a bit of a track record against Unionists.

Thanks I think, but I wouldn't regard myself as a Unionist.
    I'm just sickened by the carnage that all this hatred has brought us and will bring us again if we're not vigilant.
    How many more 'Bloody Sunday's?
    How many more 'Warringtons'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I thought it was pretty odd how when Katie Taylor got her medal at the Olympics the whole crowd was able to sing the anthem in full. It was remarked upon by the British tv presenters that it was one of the best and most whole hearted renditions of an anthem at the entire games. I can only imagine that between the announcement that she'd won and the medal giving ceremony, all the Irish fans had pulled the lyrics up on their smartphones and silently practised fitting them in with the tune.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭mattser

What a joy to sit through a match and not have to listen to that " Low lie the fields " ****e. Id take a 6-1 hammering any day to avoid that pathetic excuse for a song.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

For all you so called Irish fans these are the words.

Amhrán na bhFiann
    Sinne Fianna Fáil,
    atá faoi gheall ag Éirinn,
    Buíon dár slua,
    Hm hm hm hm hm hm hm,
    Nmmm na nm nm nm
    Seantír ár sinsear feasta,
    Na naaa naaaa na na na na na naaaaa
    La na na na na na na naaaa na na
    Hm hm hm hm chun báis nó saoil,
    Cue delirious cheering and clapping.

Ye should be ashamed!!!

MyKeyG wrote: »
    For all you so called Irish fans these are the words.

Amhrán na bhFiann
    Sinne Fianna Fáil,
    Buíon dár slua,
    Hm hm hm hm hm hm hm,
    Nmmm na nm nm nm
    Na naaa naaaa na na na na na naaaaa
    La na na na na na na naaaa na na
    Hm hm hm hm chun báis nó saoil,
    Cue delirious cheering and clapping.

Ye should be ashamed!!!

I know all the words, just can't remember the tune!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭cometogether

Surely the most important thing is how they represent the country on the pitch rather than if they sing a song?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

Surely the most important thing is how they represent the country on the pitch rather than if they sing a song?
    So that's two major European competitions we suck in. Football and singing. Thank god for the provinces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

I know it, well remember most of it anyway but don't tend to sing it. Not the musical type you see. Fair play to those who do.

What I do have a problem with is those at two ends of the extreme
    a) Expect you to know and sing it
    b) Degenerate it at every opportunity

Sure it's a song about war and strife but infinitely preferable to the sycophantic dirge that is GSTQ. La Marseillaise is pretty catchy too and that is even more violent.

Favourite anthems: French, German, Italian and Russian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I love our anthem, everyone should be made sing it at every available opportunity. Or else beaten with sticks. And I say this as someone who can never remember the third last line no matter how many times I try to learn it. More beatings for me then..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

mattser wrote: »
    What a joy to sit through a match and not have to listen to that " Low lie the fields " ****e. Id take a 6-1 hammering any day to avoid that pathetic excuse for a song.

Whats wrong with that? Great tune. Ireland's call is very ****e tho, wish we could just have the real anthem for rugby.

yore wrote: »
    Where are you from? If Ireland, do you have an Irish passport? Does a little bit of you die every time you see that golden harp on the front and you remember your, ironically very 'Irish', self loathing

Yes I'm from Ireland.
    Yes I have an Irish passport.
    No a little bit of me doesn't die.
    I love Ireland what are you talking about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

MyKeyG wrote: »
    So that's two major European competitions we suck in. Football and singing. Thank god for the provinces.

They should find something else that they might be good at, because they seem to be sh1t at both of those. Internships in graveyards might suit, if they're available.

Don't forget about bowls:cool:

Is it only Unionist posters you Mods pick on?

Ah, yes.

Pick on, I just pointed out something that was wrong in the post. Apparently I pick on Unionist as well as Sinn Fein supporters now.

I love that song.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭yore

Yes I'm from Ireland.
    Yes I have an Irish passport.
    No a little bit of me doesn't die.
    I love Ireland what are you talking about?

Well the post I replied to said that the anthem means nothing to you.

The song stands for Ireland. Even if you would rather a catchier tune or words, it's not about the words or tune. Do you think that the 80 odd thousand people who sing it in Croke park are singing it because it's their favourite "song"?

It's a bit like saying "I'm Irish and proud but I won't ever fly the flag because I don't like the colour of it"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭mattser

jugger0 wrote: »
    Whats wrong with that? Great tune. Ireland's call is very ****e tho, wish we could just have the real anthem for rugby.

What's wrong with it ? Well, apart from the fact that it's a whinge about someone robbing fcuking corn, that belongs in the dark ages, nothing I suppose.
    Can they not think of anything a little more cheerful.

Okay, the football isn't exactly cheerful at the moment, all the more reason we could do with something a little more pleasant on the ear.

yore wrote: »
    Well the post I replied to said that the anthem means nothing to you.

The song stands for Ireland. Even if you would rather a catchier tune or words, it's not about the words or tune. Do you think that the 80 odd thousand people who sing it in Croke park are singing it because it's their favourite "song"?

It's a bit like saying "I'm Irish and proud but I won't ever fly the flag because I don't like the colour of it"

Funnily enough, a lot of 'Irish and proud' don't seem to like the colour of it, you'll hear a lot "Green, White and GOLD", but unless I'm suffering from a strange type of 'Daltonism', when last I looked it was Green, White and ORANGE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Sinne Fianna Fáil,
    Buíon dár slua
    thar toinn do ráinig chughainn,
    Faoi mhóid bheith saor
    Ní fhágfar faoin tíorán ná faoin tráill.
    Anocht a théam sa bhearna baoil,
    Le gean ar Ghaeil, chun báis nó saoil,
    Le gunna scréach faoi lámhach na bpiléar,
    COME ON IRELAND, COME ON... COME ON IRELAND!!!

Pick on, I just pointed out something that was wrong in the post. Apparently I pick on Unionist as well as Sinn Fein supporters now.

There was nothing 'wrong in the post'.
    I gave Rugby as an example of an All-Ireland sporting team.
    Which you failed to read/acknowledge, so something wrong in your post.
    For reasons of brevity, I didn't compile a comprehensive list of sports in which both parts of this island compete as one nation.
    You then chide me for not doing so, before omitting Cricket from your own less than comprehensive list, so something wrong in your post.

Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Please stand up for our national anthem

• Advertisement

That's some chip on your shoulder....

The calling the black kettle pot.

You mention education a lot, you're obviously proud of yours, good luck to you.

Rearrange the six words at the top of my reply to form a idiom which would aptly describe your statement at the top of this post.

What's wrong with it ? Well, apart from the fact that it's a whinge about someone robbing fcuking corn, that belongs in the dark ages, nothing I suppose.
    Can they not think of anything a little more cheerful.

Okay, the football isn't exactly cheerful at the moment, all the more reason we could do with something a little more pleasant on the ear.

Nothing in our history is very cheerful tho is it? we could right a song about winning eurovision a few times but that would be ****e...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

Well I still think it's one of the best national anthems. To hear it as both a player and a supporter before a GAA match is unreal. Would make your hair stand on end.

Didn't get the same buzz in the Aviva before an international soccer match, don't know why.

Funnily enough, a lot of 'Irish and proud' don't seem to like the colour of it, you'll hear a lot "Green, White and GOLD", but unless I'm suffering from a strange type of 'Daltonism', when last I looked it was Green, White and ORANGE.

Its hard to be proud of the colour orange when the people it represents are an embarrassment to Ireland.

jugger0 wrote: »
    Its hard to be proud of the colour orange when the people it represents are an embarrassment to Ireland.

Two quick points.

1. So much for trying to unite both communities, parity of esteem and all that.

2. Even if what you say is true, The Orange on the Irish flag is still Orange, and
    not Gold.
    If you want to pretend it's Gold, then fine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement