Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cannot sing or will not sing the anthem?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭yore

9959 wrote: »
    Funnily enough, a lot of 'Irish and proud' don't seem to like the colour of it, you'll hear a lot "Green, White and GOLD", but unless I'm suffering from a strange type of 'Daltonism', when last I looked it was Green, White and ORANGE.

What's your point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

yore wrote: »
    What's your point?

My point was in response to the last line of your post at the top of page 7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭yore

9959 wrote: »
    My point was in response to the last line of your post at the top of page 7.

Sorry, I'm not being smart but I couldn't tell whether it was a rebuttal or you were trying to reaffirm my point :confused: (or whether you were just telling us all a random fact about flags ;) )

My initial point was that the poster didn't seem to understand that the anthem was more than a song. I used the example of a flag as that's more tangible. You then told a story about other people who don't understand what the flag means beyond it's aesthetics which seemed to reaffirm my point, but from the tone of it, I took it to be meant against my post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

yore wrote: »
    Sorry, I'm not being smart but I couldn't tell whether it was a rebuttal or you were trying to reaffirm my point :confused: (or whether you were just telling us all a random fact about flags ;) )

My initial point was that the poster didn't seem to understand that the anthem was more than a song. I used the example of a flag as that's more tangible. You then told a story about other people who don't understand what the flag means beyond it's aesthetics which seemed to reaffirm my point, but from the tone of it, I took it to be meant against my post.

I'm sorry if I caused confusion, genuinely didn't mean to.

A while ago - for my sins - I was listening to a radio talk-show, probably 'Liveline' - about disrespect for the Irish flag, it being draped across the shoulders of football fans etc.
    What struck me was the amount of contributers who mentioned the "Green, White and Gold" of the Tricolour.
    I discounted colour-blindness, hence my reference to 'Daltonism', and reached the conclusion that despite 'platitudes' to the contrary, if some people who yearn for a united Ireland deny the colour on our flag, then what hope is there for those same people to accept the community which the colour represents.

Sorry for being a bit long-winded, but I've answered earnestly because I respect the tone with which you asked the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

Seanchai wrote: »
    Anocht a théam sa bhearna baoil,
    Le gean ar Ghaeil, chun báis nó saoil,
    Le gunna scréach faoi lámhach na bpiléar,
    Seo libh canaig amhrán na bhfiann

Those four lines: rousingly ecstatic stuff when sung in a stadium of 82,000 Irish people.

even written, it gives me goosebumps.. singing it is another high, thinking of those people who would not have been allowed to sing it, those who fought that we can now sing it... I love our anthem, last 17th March I was in 3 pubs and sang it 3 times.

Sin a bhfuill

Advertisement