Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed up my wireless broadband

Options
  • 12-10-2012 8:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭

hey guys, i need some advice on getting the most outta my broadband.

i'm gettin 50mb from upc and i'm only gettin 18-20mbps, i'm using a usb wireless adaptor and before anyone starts b***chin at me, i know they are useless. i recently rebuilt my tower and waiting to order a proper netwrok adpator.
    My question is if i order a very good network adaptor (i've seen ones that can handle 500mbps) would this boost my internet, or if that wouldn't work, is there anything else i could do

before anyone suggests that i run an ethernet cable directly to my PC from the modem, I KNOW, if i could do that i'd have it done already, unfortunatly that would me drilling through the floor and my landlord won't let me, i also can't simply move the modem

any help here would be much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

What sort of router/modem thing do you have? Is it IEEE 802.11n? The "N" being the important part.

Or look into homeplugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭kevc2

To get the most out of it, your router must be N type and the same as your wireless adapter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭JFAirsofter

yeah my router is n rated, my adaptor is g

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭kevc2

yeah my router is n rated, my adaptor is g

Get a N type adapter and you'll be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭JFAirsofter

brilliant lads thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement