Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Riders who don't wear helmets.

Options
  • 12-10-2012 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Was driving down a back road today that is popular with riders and saw a young girl riding on the road with no hat! Couldn't believe it, not wearing one in an enclosed arena is bad enough but on the road where there is a considerably higher risk element is just baffling to me.

I had a bad fall about 6 weeks ago where I suffered a concussion, I was on a very safe horse and was only doing flat work, but for whatever reason, he decided that he didnt want me on his back anymore :o My point is, if you saw my hat after the fall, its clear that if I wasn't wearing it, I would be dead or brain damaged, there was a piece torn off it(A brand new ventair helmet aswell, only worn twice before, typical:rolleyes: )

I've always worn my hat, but after that I'll never even consider getting on a horses back without one, it just is not worth the risk!

So what I'm wondering is, do any of you not wear helmets or know of anyone who doesn't, and if so, why don't they do so? In this day and age it just seems incomprehensible to me.

/sorry for the slight rant.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

This is a very current topic at the moment, as there were a lot of complaints following the RDS where a number of international riders were not wearing helmets in the warm up arenas, while all other competitors are required to wear a proper hat while riding. Even racing, if a jockey is seen mounted in the parade ring without their chin strap fastened, they will be brought to task over it and fined.

I don't know if it's a fall-out from people seeing international riders not wearing helmets, and then emulating them, but I suspect it's more the fact that 'I'm not jumping, so I'll be ok' or 'I'm on a bomb proof horse, so I'm fine'. I think with the 'older' generations it may be to do with the fact that most people probably didn't own a riding hat when they were riding as kids as they were only being introduced. And if they did, it was probably for 'good wear' only. Weather may also be a factor, but probably not such a huge one here in Ireland, especially given our 'summer'.

There's no doubt that helmets save people's lives, and there's one at home with a crack down the outer shell following a fall racing (jockey got kicked in the head, but was absolutely fine, not even concussed, because of the helmet). However, it must be securely fastened at all times and the helmet must be fitted correctly as a badly fitting helmet can do more harm than good. A friend's friend ended up in hopsital in a coma for a couple of weeks because they got a fall when their helmet was unfastened. They were cooling down the horse, the horse bolted, they fell off and suffered a severe head injury, although thankfully there were no long term ill effects.

I know a few people who don't always wear helmets (generally baseball caps instead). Not sure why, though. One did get a telling-off for not wearing it, though, and since then they've improved. The funny thing is, this is the same person who will always wear a helmet while working with young horses when they're not mounted.

And that probably raises another question as to whether or not people wear helmets while working with horses even when they're not mounted... But maybe that should be for another day.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭silverfox88

This does my head in. I wont say im completely innocent, have been known on VERY hot days to do the first few minutes of my warm up with no hat, i always say to myself that its ok because im not cantering yet but I know in the back of my head its NOT wise! would never, ever, ever, EVER even consider going down the road without a hat - there are too many uncontrollable variables to risk it - even on a bombproof horse, how many times have you seen a horse slip on a tarmaced road?

Agree with the above point on wearing hats while on the ground, probably is another topic for discussion but I tend to wear a hat lunging spooky horses and also have made the executive decision to wear it when bringing my 4 year old in/out of the field on blustery days- its a long walk and after startling some pheasants one day I've been very wary - not sure who had the bigger freak attack when they came bursting out of the grass, me or the horse!!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭MPB

Having lived in the US for a long period of time I decided to do some western riding and was in the right area so went to a school and got acquainted with a horse. Had my own boots but didn't have a helmet so I figured I'd get one there but to my surprise there were no helmets. They don't use helmets I was told. Having come from here and always using a helmet I wasn't comfy with this idea but rather than give in I got on the horse anyway and I said I wasn't doing anything more than walking him. I've had very serious head injuries before (not horse related) so I didn't wanna return to that scenario. Anyway I went on a trail with a few mates and warned them all that we were not gonna be cantering or galloping. Think I trotted for like 5 mins. I didn't feel comfy with that so went back to walking. All the school instructors were out with cowboy hats but nothing that ever resembled a helmet. Clearly safety is not as important in the US as it is here. Though after reading this thread I'm starting to question how highly we value safety here.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

MPB wrote: »
    Having lived in the US for a long period of time I decided to do some western riding and was in the right area so went to a school and got acquainted with a horse. Had my own boots but didn't have a helmet so I figured I'd get one there but to my surprise there were no helmets. They don't use helmets I was told. Having come from here and always using a helmet I wasn't comfy with this idea but rather than give in I got on the horse anyway and I said I wasn't doing anything more than walking him. I've had very serious head injuries before (not horse related) so I didn't wanna return to that scenario. Anyway I went on a trail with a few mates and warned them all that we were not gonna be cantering or galloping. Think I trotted for like 5 mins. I didn't feel comfy with that so went back to walking. All the school instructors were out with cowboy hats but nothing that ever resembled a helmet. Clearly safety is not as important in the US as it is here. Though after reading this thread I'm starting to question how highly we value safety here.

Having just begun riding lessons (I last rode over twenty years ago) I can tell you helmets are very much part of the culture at the riding school. Probably because it is a dressage/show school and a lot of riders ride English not Western.

However, I don't see too many hats on the trail I suspect a. strong Cowboy culture dictates Cowboy hats not helmets, and b. a Cowboy hat protects from the sun which to be honest kills more people each year than horses ever will. 75,000 new cases of melanoma in the US last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 movi1

Unbeliebable that people would ride without a hat, saw a guy riding cross country hatless-totally stupid!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LostCorkGuy

I've always worn my hat, but after that I'll never even consider getting on a horses back without one, it just is not worth the risk!

So what I'm wondering is, do any of you not wear helmets or know of anyone who doesn't, and if so, why don't they do so? In this day and age it just seems incomprehensible to me.

/sorry for the slight rant.

I'm guilty of not wearing mine constantly :o
    Been riding since i was 2 and I'm 21 now , stopped wearing the body protector when I was around 13/14 and the Hat when I was 16 or so
    Only time I'll put it on is for hunter trials , I wear a bowler hat while showing .

That being said if I was to head out on the road I'd put one on , personally I just put it down to how secure in the saddle you are ! When I was 8 I got a little rocket of a grade A 12.2 , brilliant jumper but you'd to really ride him , he'd duck out , head between the legs bucking , bolting , you name any vice , he had it , but it thought me to ride and more importantly how to stay on :D
    Was all good in the end we managed to get the Cork/Kerry Showjumpers of the year award :)

But yeah I don't see hats as particularly important I do understand for insurance reasons some showjumping arenas demand them to be worn
    Although with the RDS giving out the the internationals for having unsecured hats is a joke , I've warmed up in the same arena for the Cobs classes and I'm wearing tweeds plus a bowler , that amounts to 0 protection it's simply because its the done thing and a load of health and safety BS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

I haven't posted in this forum before, and I'm not into equestrian pursuits (though I'm often accused in various Boards forums of being on a "high horse" :) ).

However, may I ask whether there is any solid evidence that hard hats protect against head injuries among horse riders?

It seems intuitively true, but I'm just wondering whether this issue has been systematically studied, and if so what the findings were.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    I haven't posted in this forum before, and I'm not into equestrian pursuits (though I'm often accused in various Boards forums of being on a "high horse" :) ).

However, may I ask whether there is any solid evidence that hard hats protect against head injuries among horse riders?

It seems intuitively true, but I'm just wondering whether this issue has been systematically studied, and if so what the findings were.

Thanks.

Having just had quiet a bad fall off a horse, which resulted in me being knocked out even though i was wearing my helmet i would say yes they do protect your head. My injury would of been alot worse had it not been for my helmet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭granturismo

Thanks.

Rider in Yellowstone National Park, no helmet. Hats are offered but seldom used. These rides are in walk, little trotting and no cantering, he sustained a head injury when he was thrown from a horse near Tower Junction.

http://billingsgazette.com/news/state-and-regional/montana/tourist-dies-others-hurt-in-incidents-in-yellowstone-park/article_8c988a83-f068-51a8-8971-039695b23dbc.html

http://www.yellowstonegate.com/2012/07/man-dies-two-others-injured-separate-yellowstone-incidents-on-day-of-visitor-mayhem/

Google: Horse Riding Schools, Trail Riding Establishments, and Horse Hiring Establishments Industry Code of Practice 2002 from the Queensland federal government.

Horse riders have a higher risk of serious injury than participants in most other sports.
    Head and spine injuries are a significant problem. Various studies have shown that head injuries are by far the leading cause of death from horse related incidents (ranging between 49 and 77 percent of deaths).
    The most common injury to people when riding or working with horses is to the head and spine (over 55 percent of injuries), followed by fractures to the extremities (about 25 percent of injuries).
    Events most likely to lead to injury when dealing with horses include being:
    • Thrown or falling from the horse;
    • Crushed by the horse;
    • Kicked by the horse.

Recommendations for hats on page 21.

From: Developing and implementing equestrian safety guidelines for
    Dutch riding schools, Injury Control and Safety Promotion, 2001, Vol. 8, No. 4, pp. 273–276, Yvonne Lievens and Ingrid Vriend:

At that time, an increasing trend was reported. Due to both the number (9100 A&E cases per year) and the severity of the injuries (4% brain damage and 10% of the casualties being admitted to hospital)
    Nearly half the injuries took place at riding schools, one-third on private property, 12% on public roads and 10% in natural surroundings.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I know someone who got a fall racing and was kicked by horses coming behind. Their helmet was very badly damaged, with a crack running across the top of it and there was a small hole where the outer layer had been damaged. The rider reckons it saved their life, but in any event it definitely protected them from a head injury.

I'm sure there are stats and studies out there. The Turf Club have done studies in the past about the positive impact the introduction of back protectors and better helmets had on jockeys' injuries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭jeawan

Thanks.

My Brother worked in a rehab centre for head injuries and will never wear a helmet while cycling , when i asked him why he said he rather die then end up in a rehab centre with very little chance of improving . He said most of the really bad cases of head injuries where resulted from people wearing helmets vs not wearing them .

On the Subject about not wearing helmets for years i didn't wear them when riding the horses and i know allot of people that still don't , is there a reason for not wearing one i don't think so it is just what people where used to doing . I did always wear one when breaking a horse though.

But allot of the time riding out trekking or even jumping in arena wouldn't bother wearing one .

Advertisement