Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scrambling the reeks

Options
  • 12-10-2012 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Heading to the Reeks Sunday, don't have time for the full ridge walk, my question is - which offers the best scrambling Big Gun ridge or Hags tooth and Beenkeeragh ridges?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭NathanKingerlee

Probably too late for a reply to you at this stage, but Big Gun is the best, most full-on, scramble, followed by Beenkeragh Ridge.

A nice way to tackle the Big Gun is to ascend up along a spur called The Bone to begin with.

hiromoto wrote: »
    Heading to the Reeks Sunday, don't have time for the full ridge walk, my question is - which offers the best scrambling Big Gun ridge or Hags tooth and Beenkeeragh ridges?

They are different. The Big Gun is more exposed...in fact Beenkeersgh ridge is tame enough...but you get a longer thrill in that Hags Tooth and Beenkeeragh is a longer hike. And standing on top of the Hags Tooth is more exposed than standing on the Big Gun itself, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭hiromoto

Thanks lads, not too late as I didn't get to head down in the end so still have both to look forward to. Attempted Big Gun before but got driven down off Cruach Mor by gale force winds, really disappointing after travelling all the way down. The disappointment only kicked in back in Cronins though, up to then it was a sense of relief to get down in one piece, never experienced conditions like it before or since and the forecast was for light winds across Munster. Will head up The Bone on the next attempt, cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

OK i'll admit defeat where are are talking about:confused:
    sounds good mind any pic's.

Macgillicuddy Reeks, Co. Kerry, where Carrauntoohil is. These are some of the other mountains and ridges in the range, pure class nothing else like them in the country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

hiromoto wrote: »
    Macgillicuddy Reeks, Co. Kerry, where Carrauntoohil is. These are some of the other mountains and ridges in the range, pure class nothing else like them in the country.

Ah now i have ya, it's just all these strange names only locals know of that confuse the rest of us.:D

OK i'll admit defeat where are are talking about:confused:
    sounds good mind any pic's.

http://mountainviews.ie/mv/index.php?mtnindex=10

http://mountainviews.ie/summit/193/

Went up the Bone and across the ridge to Cruach Mhor on Sunday great walk/scramble bit of snow still up there in places.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 MacG14

Hi all, I'm in Killarney at present and looking for a challenge tmrw. Was thinking of doing the entire ridge walk but a little dubious as on my own. Did the coomloughra h'shoe on my own last yr & was fab!! Like the sound of the Bone, can anyone pls tell me where exactly it is and how to access it? Many thnx

The Bone is the ridge that leads from the Hags Glen to the top of Maolan Bui on the left as you walk up the valley. Good way of accessing the Eastern Reeks, but you will miss the Big Gun ridge. Not to be confused with the Bones, which is a summit on Beenkeragh Ridge. Enjoy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement