Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ash Dieback Disease (Chalara fraxinea) in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

I am surprised that they do not list the nurserys etc that have confirmed Ash Dieback cases as this would help no end with traceability of the disease, we are gone way beyond sensitivities to the trade at this stage.

254814.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

Oldtree, your postings show true public service.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 crossbill

At last, from those figures it appears that someone is starting to look at the motorway stuff

crossbill wrote: »
    At last, from those figures it appears that someone is starting to look at the motorway stuff

that may just be a happy coincidence Bill, who know's, :D I find myself noticing and looking at ash trees while driving around.

nonetheless like you I am worried that the stock was bought in very large numbers from single diseased suppliers for roadside plantings, so in my mind that would be difficult to pin down to just 13 sites, there must be massess of diseased stock on interconnected connected sites that will be destroyed (should have been by now).

Is the will there to do this or are they just going site by site on confirmed diagnosis?

Are all 13 sites from the same batches/suppliers? Again no info

I am sure the public would rip out any trees purchased from diseased nurserys, if only we had a list!!!! :rolleyes:

Oldtree, your postings show true public service.

The best things in life are free lol :D

ps only one new case in the UK to report on this week.

• Advertisement

Minister Coveney Outlines Policy for Removal of Suspect Ash Trees Planted Under REPS/AEOS. 17-5-2013

http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/press/pressreleases/2013/may/title,70345,en.html

Burial is the favoured disposal method.

At the Teagasc meeting the other night, the total number of lab tests carried out to date was 1000.

Somthing that occured to me at the time was:

We still import ash wood that has been debarked.
    Could the fungal mycelium lead to fungal regrowth in infected imported (wet) wood that has not been kiln dried?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

What I learned from the Tesgasc meeting was that there has been a total failure on a European level to do anything about this disease until recently and that provenance certs for trees are about as useful as lables on boxes of beef trimmings.
    The forest service are currently doing a Pest Risk Analysis on Chalara to show that it has not yet reached native ash , if this is the case, they can then stop any future imports of ash for planting, if it has already infected native trees then its free trade as normal.
    Forestry owners will receive 1500€ / hectare to clear infected crops and the regular planting grant to replant whatever variety of tree they wish, the forestry premium will be paid at the relevant rate for the new crop for whatever number of years were left on the cleared trees, it will not start from scratch on the new crop. If a farmer wants to put the site back into grass then all planting and premia will have to be repaid, this upset some people as they were only interested in growing ash.

What I learned from the Tesgasc meeting was that there has been a total failure on a European level to do anything about this disease until recently and that provenance certs for trees are about as useful as lables on boxes of beef trimmings.
    The forest service are currently doing a Pest Risk Analysis on Chalara to show that it has not yet reached native ash , if this is the case, they can then stop any future imports of ash for planting, if it has already infected native trees then its free trade as normal.

Perhaps then it is best if we dont find any native infected ash trees until a total ban (nomatter what the source) on ash plant imports is in place!

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Chisler2

Oldtree wrote: »
    Perhaps then it is best if we dont find any native infected ash trees until a total ban (nomatter what the source) on ash plant imports is in place!

Hope, hope, hope..!

• Advertisement

Big jump in recently planted infected sites in NI reported this week with the total now up to 71. (up 19)

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/chalara

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭manjou

They are doing something on countryfile this evening about ash dieback and isolating the genome of trees that are apparently immune to the diease.

missed it as at the match but available here later:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006t0bv/broadcasts/2013/06

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/press/pressreleases/2013/july/title,70948,en.html
    Hayes and O'Neill Agree All-Ireland Strategy to Control Chalara Dieback of Ash Trees

Forestry Ministers Tom Hayes and Michelle O’Neill have agreed an All-Ireland Chalara Control Strategy.

The strategy sets out the policy and actions which will be taken as part of the continued attempt to prevent Chalara ash dieback disease becoming established in Ireland.

Minister O’Neill said: “The fact that Ireland is an island, isolated from potential sources of infection, suggests that there is a reasonable hope of preventing or slowing down the disease from becoming established here. The effectiveness of our approach is likely to depend on detecting and eradicating any incidence of the disease within Ireland before it spreads to ash trees in the wider environment.”

Commenting on the Strategy, Minister Hayes said: “Ash dieback is a serious tree disease and ash trees are of particular landscape, environmental and cultural value in Ireland. So far, this disease has only been found in recently planted ash trees linked to imports and our aim is to reduce the risk of the disease becoming established here. The strategy is comprehensive and covers many elements including our joint approaches on eradication, research into breeding for resistance, engaging with the public and other stakeholders and advice for woodland owners.”

The Ministers discussed this year’s surveillance plans, disease findings and the support available to woodland owners to destroy affected ash plants and replant their woodland with alternative tree species.

The Ministers welcomed the support and comments provided by farmers, woodland owners, forestry companies, environmental groups and other stakeholders during consultation on the Strategy and at stakeholder meetings. Minister O’Neill said: “We continue to urge people to be vigilant for the disease and to quickly report symptoms they see to their respective Departments. This will greatly assist in complementing the aims of the Strategy.”

Minister Hayes added “A clearer picture of the extent of Chalara ash dieback will become evident over the summer months as both Departments intensify surveillance. The Strategy will be kept under constant review based on this ongoing surveillance and the development of scientific knowledge of this complex disease.”

All-Ireland Chalara Control Strategy document

http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/media/migration/forestry/ashdiebackchalara/AllIrelandChalaraControlStrategyJuly13.pdf

only 20 submissions made :(

No mention of investment in more Genie IIs
    http://www.optigene.co.uk/

"After extensive trials, this device is now being deployed; both with PHSI at Heathrow airport, to support import inspections, and with tree health inspectors, to aid field monitoring for tree diseases, including ash dieback."

http://www.york.ac.uk/biology/news-events/seminars/plant-biology/rickmumford/

Confirmed findings for here (as of 7th July 2013) of ash dieback sites:
    http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/forestservice/ashdiebackchalara/

Forestry plantations 36 (no increase)
    Counties: Carlow, Cavan, Clare, Galway, Kildare, Kilkenny, Leitrim, Longford, Meath, Tipperary, Waterford

Horticultural nurseries 15 (no increase)
    Garden centres 4 (up 1)
    Private garden 2 (no increase)
    Farm planting / REPS / AEOS 14 (up 1)
    Roadside planting 14 (up 1)

So total now 85 up 3 since the last update on 17th May 2013.

With the 72 in NI that now totals 157 confirmed sites on this island.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭reverenddave

i only today found the ''updated map'' (17th May) of confirmed sightings
    and noticed there is one not too far from where i'm living in Cork

i'm studying horticulture and have taken an interest in this Disease
    is there a way of finding out the exact location of the sighting ???
    i'd love to see it in front of me purely for academic purposes !!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭pachanco

I wouldn't imagine they'd be too keen on giving out exact locations of the outbreak, simply to avoid further spread of the disease by "Chalara tourists" visiting the sites of infected plantations and spreading the disease to other sites. Also worth noting that it may be located on private property and the landowner may not be too keen to have lads wandering through their land.

I'd imagine if you contact the Forest service, you may get an answer to your question. In all likelihood the suspect trees have been destroyed already, well I hope they have anyway.

You'll find all the contact information you need here; http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/forestservice/ashdiebackchalara/ , let us know how you get on. I'm sure you are not alone in wanting to know the exact location of diseased sites.

i think that any nursery named would be ruined and i'm not sure that they can be blamed so i understand those locations being withheld. But is the greater good outweighed in helping to locate trees from infected nurserys by symptoms alone. catch 22

• Advertisement

i only today found the ''updated map'' (17th May) of confirmed sightings
    and noticed there is one not too far from where i'm living in Cork

i'm studying horticulture and have taken an interest in this Disease
    is there a way of finding out the exact location of the sighting ???
    i'd love to see it in front of me purely for academic purposes !!

you could mark the exact center points points from the 17/5 map onto google earth and zoom in which would give you a fairly exact area location as i presume that the map is accurate, unless the department is ahead of us and has already offset the midpoints! lol

i tried that with google maps and got, i think Crookstown
    and i dont know of any woodlands near there off the top of my head
    so it's more likely a farm or private residence (maybe)

i'll make a few calls tomorrow and try find someone willing to show me

i'll keep ye updated !! thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

[MOD]

Let's be reeeeeally cautious about naming specific people or locations!
    Unless such specific details have been officially released by the relevant authorities or published in the press, anything else will be no more than rumour, speculation, and Chinese whispers, and will be treated as such here; ie. deleted (and possibly infracted).
    I'd be VERY wary of trying to glean anything useful from extrapolating from coloured blobs on a very low-resolution map!

[/MOD]

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Oldtree wrote: »
    Confirmed findings for here (as of 7th July 2013) of ash dieback sites:

Forestry plantations 36 (no increase)
    Counties: Carlow, Cavan, Clare, Galway, Kildare, Kilkenny, Leitrim, Longford, Meath, Tipperary, Waterford

Horticultural nurseries 15 (no increase)
    Garden centres 4 (up 1)
    Private garden 2 (no increase)
    Farm planting / REPS / AEOS 14 (up 1)
    Roadside planting 14 (up 1)

So total now 85 up 3 since the last update on 17th May 2013.

With the 72 in NI that now totals 157 confirmed sites on this island.

Have they a new map up since May?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    Have they a new map up since May?

No!

Rovi wrote: »
    [MOD]

Let's be reeeeeally cautious about naming specific people or locations!
    Unless such specific details have been officially released by the relevant authorities or published in the press, anything else will be no more than rumour, speculation, and Chinese whispers, and will be treated as such here; ie. deleted (and possibly infracted).
    I'd be VERY wary of trying to glean anything useful from extrapolating from coloured blobs on a very low-resolution map!

[/MOD]

Sorry !!!
    Good call
    Im a little rusty on forum rules !!

"Please continue to watch out for ash dieback this Summer!
    Ash dieback is a relatively new, serious disease of ash trees caused by the fungal pathogen Chalara fraxinea (Hymenoscyphus pseudoalbidus). It has spread rapidly across much of Europe. The disease can affect ash trees of any age and in any setting. The disease can be fatal, particularly among younger trees.

If you planted ash trees in the last ten years, Teagasc advises to give your ash trees a quick 'health check' over the next few months. At this time of year, watch out for wilting ash leaves that remain attached to the tree. Other symptoms include shoot dieback and diamond shaped stem lesions.

If you want to know what to watch out for, have a look at this very useful YouTube video produced last May by the British Forestry Commission: watch Chalara ash dieback - identifying symptoms in Spring. Although this video was produced last Spring, content is still very relevant discussing both Spring and Summer symptoms.

If you see something you suspect is ash dieback, please call 01-607 2651 or email forestprotection@agriculture.gov.ie. When visiting a forest, do not remove any plant material from the site and clean clothes and footwear of any plant material, including leaves, before leaving the forest. Do not take samples as it could assist in spreading this serious disease."

I wonder where the ten years came from??? :confused:

From the updated map here on ash dieback numbers in the UK:

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/chalara

There appears to now be 82 sites in NI. To my eye that looks like a serious cluster of recently planted infected sites, compared to other spread of infected planted sites in the UK generally.

85 cases of ash dieback in the ROI and now 85 cases in NI:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-24017015

• Advertisement

Confirmed findings (as of 23 September 2013) of ash dieback (Chalara fraxinea)

Location type - Number of confirmed findings

Forestry plantations - 39 (+3)
    Counties: Carlow, Cavan, Clare, Cork, Galway, Kildare, Kilkenny, Leitrim,
    Longford, Meath, Tipperary, Waterford

Horticultural nurseries - 16 (+1)
    Garden centres - 4
    Private gardens - 2
    Farm planting/REPS/AEOS - 15 (+1)
    Roadside planting - 20 (+6)

Total in the ROI 96 (+11 since 7th July 2013)

With 85 in NI the island total is now 181 infection cases. The really good news from all this is that there are no confirmed infected "wild" sites on the Island.

from: http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/forestservice/ashdiebackchalara/
    map (not showing Horticultural Nursery and Garden Centre findings):
    http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/media/migration/forestry/ashdiebackchalara/Chalarafraxineaconfirmedfindings23Sept13.pdf

Uninfected counties on this island:
    273209.jpg

Advertisement