Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ash Dieback Disease (Chalara fraxinea) in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 deCourcey chick

Hi, do you know if anybody in Ireland is collecting keys from healthy ash trees within Calara-infected sites and planting these in a bid to breed more resistant native stock?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Hi, do you know if anybody in Ireland is collecting keys from healthy ash trees within Calara-infected sites and planting these in a bid to breed more resistant native stock?
    I would doubt very much that anybody is doing that, mainly because no infected wild sites have been found in Ireland, other than 2 adjacent to imported infected ash plantations, and it would be pointless to collect seed from imported stock. It would also be some time before an ash tree could be deemed healthy within an infected wild site, as the progress of the disease may take a number of years to affect trees within an infected wild site. The entire Ash stock would also need to be devastated before remaining specimens could be deemed healthy and breeding work would commence from there, as it has on the continent.

In addition it would not be prudent to move ash seeds around Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 deCourcey chick

I take your point that it is too early. As a great believer in natural selection this may be the only? way to go in future, when the disease has spread on to more of our own trees. My worry is that if we take out all ash in the vicinity of any infected trees we identify, we may miss this opportunity. So difficult to know how to handle this devastating disease, now that it has been found in so many different locations. Of course natural selection didn't save out elms :-(
    I am keeping a close eye on my ash in North Leitrim in the mean time.

As a side note I remember reading something about DED having visited before in the distant past, so it may well be a cyclic natural event. The elms recovered. I have noticed many elms slowly growing back, possibly from seed or runners. I rescued one tiny one from a coillte forest and it takes pride of place in my garden. What I feel happens with the elms is that the beetle (vector of the disease) has nowhere to breed after DED wipes out the elms and its population declines until there are enough breeding grounds (elms) to sustain an expanding population. Big circles :D

While the ash dieback disease may well be a new disease, or an old one, this time we have helped it travel over large distances much quicker that it would have in the wild so to speak.

I do not think the current scorched earth policy will be continuing once a number of real wild sites have (if) been located, as that would be pointless.

It must be remembered too that we are viewing an industrial landscape when looking at our countryside that has been created over many generations so natural selection has taken a back seat for a long time and we are a very small island. Should an ash tree or two survive I am all for a breeding programme, but we have to admit that planting of ash in the future will only be done for utility (garden/pleasure) reasons so I cannot see anyone investing in such a programme.

Missed this event: (will have to pay more attention in future:rolleyes:)

All Ireland Chalara Conference Thursday 8th May,
    Crowne Plaza Hotel, Dundalk, Co. Louth

http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/media/migration/forestry/ashdiebackchalara/AllIrelandChalaraConference230414.pdf

Did anyone go? got any new details?

Minister Hayes gave an up to date position on the number of occurrences of the disease in the South where he said that there were a total of 120 confirmed findings of the disease located throughout the country. Of these, 47 are located in forests, with the remainder 73 at non-forest locations. ........ As a native species, ash has important heritage and ecological values and it is incumbent on us all to protect this species as best we can.”

http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/press/pressreleases/2014/may/title,75626,en.html

sadly in the notes to editors at the bottom of the page all the information is 2013.

• Advertisement

The green counties are as yet uninfected:

308072.jpg

Resources for the development of ash trees resistant to ash dieback (Chalara): genetic diversity of ash and methods for its recombination and propagation

•Supervisors: Dr Richard Buggs (Queen Mary University of London), Dr Gerry Douglas (Teagasc, Ireland)
    •Application deadline: 30 June 2014
    •Funding: Teagasc and Queen Mary University of London
    •Walsh Fellowship Number: 2014001

Background

This Fellowship aims to provide strategic infrastructures of germplasm, genetic knowledge and methods to accelerate the development of ash trees resistant to ash dieback (Chalara fraxinea). It will survey the genetic variation of common ash (Fraxinus excelsior) trees in Ireland and compare these with the variation found in the rest of Europe. Using data from areas infected by Chalara, it will seek to predict the susceptibility of different Irish genotypes to the disease.

More:
    http://www.teagasc.ie/forestry/media/teagasc_phd_walshfellowship.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭manjou

Anyone else notice ash trees not leafing up properly. Hope not ash dieback as alot of trees on my place like this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

Have ignored this thread for so long now, and the recent posts say it all.
    This disease is here to stay, and frankly this is the legacy of the senior leadership of the Forest Service.
    Hang your heads in shame....not that it will happen...Ireland doesn't do shame or apology.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Ash are always one of the last trees to leaf up so I wouldn't panic yet, but its only a matter of time before its widespread its had a 4 /5 year headstart

• Advertisement

Oldtree wrote: »
    Resources for the development of ash trees resistant to ash dieback (Chalara): genetic diversity of ash and methods for its recombination and propagation

•Supervisors: Dr Richard Buggs (Queen Mary University of London), Dr Gerry Douglas (Teagasc, Ireland)
    •Application deadline: 30 June 2014
    •Funding: Teagasc and Queen Mary University of London
    •Walsh Fellowship Number: 2014001

Background

This Fellowship aims to provide strategic infrastructures of germplasm, genetic knowledge and methods to accelerate the development of ash trees resistant to ash dieback (Chalara fraxinea). It will survey the genetic variation of common ash (Fraxinus excelsior) trees in Ireland and compare these with the variation found in the rest of Europe. Using data from areas infected by Chalara, it will seek to predict the susceptibility of different Irish genotypes to the disease.

More:
    http://www.teagasc.ie/forestry/media/teagasc_phd_walshfellowship.asp

Research in Denmark have found some resistant trees, google " chalara tree 18 and 35" for some info on it

yes I did know about that. It is an interesting novelty, but like elm I cannot see many clones of these ash trees being planted in the future for other than pleasure.

manjou wrote: »
    Anyone else notice ash trees not leafing up properly. Hope not ash dieback as alot of trees on my place like this
    There are no wild infection sites in Ireland so far, only on imported plantations of non native ash stock, and recently in native ash hedgerow ash immediately adjacent to a plantation.

As part of the NORNEX consortium, TGAC has sequenced 20 genomes of the fungus (Hymenoscyphus fraxineus) responsible for the spread of the ash dieback epidemic that threatens our third most common broadleaf tree (after oak and birch).

http://www.tgac.ac.uk/news/112/68/TGAC-releases-new-genetic-data-to-combat-ash-dieback-epidemic/

The data is available for analysis on the crowdsourcing site

http://oadb.tsl.ac.uk/

Teagasc's guide with excellent photos for mid-year diagnosis of leaves and twigs. Bear in mind that you would need more than one of these symptoms (and maby all) to be sure!

http://www.teagasc.ie/forestry/docs/advice/chalara_ash_dieback_early_leaf_symptoms.pdf

The project aims to procure individual trees of ash which show resistance / tolerance to Chalara and use them to bulk up stocks of resistant trees vegetatively, as well as for establishing seed producing orchards with resistant parent trees.

http://www.teagasc.ie/forestry/research/projects/ash_dieback_resistance.asp

Confirmed findings in UK at 26 August 2014

Nursery sites - 26
    Recently planted sites - 357
    Wider environment, e.g. established woodland - 355 (red dots) (but none in NI)
    Total: 738
    This new map update shows 34 additional wider-environment sites. There are two new planting sites. These new cases are due to increased survey activity, and not to a sudden increase in Chalara infection. This raised level of identification is likely to continue throughout September as our surveys continue. August and September are a good time of year to undertake surveys, because later in the year autumn symptoms can be confused with leaves that are naturally changing colour.

321043.jpg

They have been publishing a weekly update on figures [url="http://www.forestry.gov.uk/chalara]FC UK[/url]

It is 5 months since an update here [url="http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/forestservice/ashdiebackchalara]DAFM[/url].

[url="http://www.forestry.gov.uk/forestry/INFD-92AHUK]FC UK Ash Dieback Symptoms[/url]

Confirmed findings at 6 October 2014

Nursery sites - 26 no change
    Recently planted sites - 382 up 25
    Wider environment, e.g. established woodland - 443 (red dots) (but none in NI) Up 88

Total: 851

Weekly update from:
    FC UK

Still waiting for an update from this side of the water, 6 months later: :rolleyes:
    DAFM.
    August and September are a good time of year to undertake surveys, because during autumn visual symptoms can be confused with leaves that are naturally changing colour.

In the autumn you might see clumps of sometimes dark-coloured ash keys (seeds), retained on the trees after the leaves have fallen. This is quite normal, but from a distance they can be mistaken for the blackened leaves which can be a symptom of the disease.

This video shows in the first minute symptoms to look out for at this time of year:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

Aren't they gonna start pumping garlic up into them now?

And other Varieties that are starting to show signs of disease aswell?

See they are thinking about moving some American only trees to other countries now aswell, along the same latitude line to try and save them from disease/climate?

It's all f*cked. It's gone like Medicine, treating symptoms instead of cause.

Aren't they gonna start pumping garlic up into them now?

And other Varieties that are starting to show signs of disease aswell?

See they are thinking about moving some American only trees to other countries now aswell, along the same latitude line to try and save them from disease/climate?

It's all f*cked. It's gone like Medicine, treating symptoms instead of cause.

They may well start with the garlic as an inoculation for special Ash Trees, who knows. ;)
    With the evolution of the modern garden the world's trees are already well mixed up in latitude terms.

• Advertisement

I havn't found anything like this before, albeit a year old:
    SAP landscapes have recently completed the removal of over 2,500 trees from a motorway plantation on one of the countries national primary routes.

The operation involved the cutting to ground level, removal of and deep burial of over 2,500 trees.

On completion of tree removal all under growth was treated with herbicide and then removed to ensure all leaf debris could not cross contaminate the pre-existing Ash Trees.

When carrying out this works there was huge onus upon us to ensure that the other tree species existing in the plantation were not damaged to ensure that some level of cover remain in the plantation.

All works were completed in line with the Department of Agricultural guidelines for removal of infected Ash Trees and under the supervision of the National Roads Authority.

Brings clarity to the words "scorched earth". I wonder if the herbicide was systemic?

http://sapgroup.com/index.php/ash-dieback-tree-removal-project-completed-by-sap-landscapes/

When you read the article on ash dieback in the article below published in 2007 you wonder why more wasn't done to stop imports from Europe.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Oldtree wrote: »
    I havn't found anything like this before, albeit a year old:

Brings clarity to the words "scorched earth". I wonder if the herbicide was systemic?

http://sapgroup.com/index.php/ash-dieback-tree-removal-project-completed-by-sap-landscapes/

Its SAP- the 'herbicide' was almost certainly Roundup- they seem to keep Monsanto in business these days........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Harold Finchs Machine

Its SAP- the 'herbicide' was almost certainly Roundup- they seem to keep Monsanto in business these days........

Im reminded of an article i read about what US Farmers have been srayinging on their fields now every year before planting to try and kill the roundup resistant stuff they've created.

Toxic toxic stuff. Il see can i find it later.

331041.jpg

The total number of sites now stands at 143 in RoI, a 23% increase on figures from the end of 2013, but only an increase of 10 sites since the figures reported in April 2014.

The good news is that the hedgerow infected sites (4) are all still associated with (adjacent ??) infected sites.

There is no updated map of infected sites.

http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/forestservice/ashdiebackchalara/

The Forestry Comission (UK) no longer provides a map for NI (nor the number of infected sites) but again some additional good news
    No cases have been confirmed in the wider environment in Northern Ireland, so it is not currently included on the interactive version of the map, but this can be reviewed if the situation changes.

The FC no longer show infected recently planted sites, instead showing only the wider environment sites over time.

331045.png

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/chalara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

I just processed a good amount of ash for next years firewood. It all looked quite healthy. I'm in north west Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Going by those figures the rate of spread seams to be slowing. Hopefully we can get on top of it

26 new cases this year, total now 169 as of 17/7/2015

363135.jpg

• Advertisement

Don't like to see the increase in hedgerow findings

Advertisement