Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013 History

• 12-10-2012 9:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭

I know everyone is going to say it's early and not to be thinking so far ahead, but I'm gonna ask anyway. What does everyone think are possible essays to come up this year?

The next few years and recent years gone by have been and will be very much anniversary based where Irish history is concerned, a prime example being The Eucharistic Congress of 22 which came up last year (2012). Personally I'm banking on The Lockout, but not having all my eggs in one basket at the same time.. I do believe it to be a strong possibility though. Wondering if anyone here/their teachers have made any predictions?

Another thing, which I'm not quite sure is frequently asked (please don't shoot me down) is whether a solid knowledge of the case studies is sufficient for the exam? With the exception of Parnell/Butt etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 TheFlayedMan

A repeat student in my class had a list of the most likely essays to appear and he used it to correctly predict his questions last year (getting an A2). Of course, he studied others but the sheet proved correct.

When I get a copy, I'll post some predictions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭SeanyboyQPR

That'd be sweet, much appreciated.. Without some kind of educated guesswork it could be such a lottery..!

On the topic, which books are you doing? I ask because my teacher opted to do Movements for Reform and Sovereignty and Partition in the Irish History side, so I don't know about this Eucharistic Congress.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 581 ✭✭✭phoenix999

The Congress is dealt with in the Sovereignty and Partition book. Check the following:

Www.multitext.ie

Oh right. It's our final book, and we haven't even reached the War of Independence yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 frenchie03

My teacher is banking on the strike and lockout 1913/ maybe Cumann na Ngadheal Gov because they were formed in 1923!
    Hope that helps!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭user.name

Im just going to study all case studies in detail with some knowledge surrounding them. You are always going to get at least one question on case studies. I have a strong feeling katanga will come up this year though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭BrownBear11

Anyone think that they might be horrible and throw up India for the document question again? Hows that for unpredictability :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

Anyone think that they might be horrible and throw up India for the document question again? Hows that for unpredictability :pac:

Not a big deal, just learn India to be safe. The document questions are grand - just know the main points, in a 2 page essay you don't need any great detail. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭BrownBear11

0mega wrote: »
    Not a big deal, just learn India to be safe. The document questions are grand - just know the main points, in a 2 page essay you don't need any great detail. :p

Yeah, I plan to :) So many won't though. It would be like English P2 all over again :pac: True, nicest question on the paper

• Advertisement

Really doubt India will come up! I think Katanga will come up too.
    What essays do you guys think will come up?

frenchie03 wrote: »
    Really doubt India will come up! I think Katanga will come up too.
    What essays do you guys think will come up?

I reckon this year is going to be a toughy, they most likely will put Katanga up, France is a bit too easy. I'd say they'll throw on sunningdale, the nuremburg rallies and the treaty negotiatons

last years leaving cert was nicer :pac:

Katanga isn't too bad, I think India is the worst. But that's just personal opinion, the document questions are the least important on the paper anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭mossy95

India is shocking for me but I know some stuff, katanga is my best I love it and France dont have a clue

Katanga is grand, France dont totally understand it,, but just know the contextualisation questions really well and youll be fine! any one get history predictions sheet for 2013? Or what essays are you guys studying for the pre????

Do any of you guys have predictions for French/English/Irish,, I heard they were given out some hints at Xmas revision courses?

Do you guys have any predictions for higher level french/english/irish/business or home-ec ? I know some hints were given out at xmas revision courses? Help would be appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭mossy95

So do we need to study india as it came up last year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

mossy95 wrote: »
    So do we need to study india as it came up last year?
    No, and I don't see the logic behind it. Why put up India again when only 2 out of 3 documents come up in 2 year period? I'm certain that Katanga will come up because they can ask loads of questions on it and people have been talking about it on the television recently.

LostBoy101 wrote: »
    No, and I don't see the logic behind it. Why put up India again when only 2 out of 3 documents come up in 2 year period? I'm certain that Katanga will come up because they can ask loads of questions on it and people have been talking about it on the television recently.

I totally agree! they have never repeated a case study over the years any way!
    Just know a little backround as it can relate a bit to the other case studies!
    :)

• Advertisement

frenchie03 wrote: »
    I totally agree! they have never repeated a case study over the years any way!
    Just know a little backround as it can relate a bit to the other case studies!
    :)
    Aye exactly it's not that hard to study if you just get your head around it.

India is still examinable though and there's enough content in it that they could easily put it up again but with a different angle and essay title.

If you're looking to do well, I'd cover all bases if you ask me tbh. They're trying to make the LC less predictable in recent years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

A repeat student in my class had a list of the most likely essays to appear and he used it to correctly predict his questions last year (getting an A2). Of course, he studied others but the sheet proved correct.

When I get a copy, I'll post some predictions.

When you do, would you mind PMing me in case I miss it? It'd be much appreciated.

0mega wrote: »
    India is still examinable though and there's enough content in it that they could easily put it up again but with a different angle and essay title.

If you're looking to do well, I'd cover all bases if you ask me tbh. They're trying to make the LC less predictable in recent years.
    To be honest you are given 3 case studies and they are done in a 2 year period. It doesn't make sense to do India again and the two other case studies are just a waste of time..

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Kate_B7

I say katangas the most likely for the document anyways, france seems too easy!

LostBoy101 wrote: »
    To be honest you are given 3 case studies and they are done in a 2 year period. It doesn't make sense to do India again and the two other case studies are just a waste of time..

You could say that for anything though. In English there will be poets that will come up two years in a row and a poet that won't come up for years. It might not 'make sense' but if the LC becomes too predictable it won't be an accurate representation of ability. They threw a few curveballs in last year to catch people out who were relying on predictions, so I'd just be wary of them this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭iiHyPeRize

They always tend to ask the 'hardest' document the first year they're up, last year India came up, I thought India was the easiest but yeah... Katanga is probably going to appear his year, they don't really throw up the same document in successive years, but the leaving cert is becoming harder to predict every year, so you'd never know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭iiHyPeRize

Kate_B7 wrote: »
    I say katangas the most likely for the document anyways, france seems too easy!

When I did my leaving cert the first time in 2011, before I had to repeat :/ it was the last year of them documents. The three were The Sunningdale agreement, Coleraine University Crisis and the Apprentice boys of Derry.
    Sunningdale came up the year before and the Apprentice boys was really easy, I mean really easy like the France one, everyone assumed Coleraine would come up, but hey, the threw up the easy one, the one nobody thought was coming up the Apprentice boys.
    So be weary with predictions.

The France race relations document is actually in my opinion way harder than the Katanga one!!!

• Advertisement

If anyone wants notes on Katanga I pretty much sumed up the whole chapter myself. I got an a with them in the documents they might be of some help to someone :P

Advertisement