Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

issues regarding copyright

• 12-10-2012 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

i hope to make my own continuation of the video game croc (ps1 game that died years ago) and i would hope to actually continue it and make more for the series I know i could not charge for it without permissions from the original developer but the problem is they no longer exist, it was owned by Argonaut which changed there name and eventually became some kind of energy/natural resource company with a similar symbol, so how would i go about getting the rights to this game, also how do you copyright a game and what exactly does the copyright cover? i didnt know where to post this so i figured here would be best.

-mosher
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Morpheme owned the rights and made Croc: Hero of the Gobbos for mobile phones before they were bought out by Eidos Interactive, who were in turn bought by Square Enix, who would now appear to own the rights to Croc. Still Croc wasn't a distinctive character in anyway. Just make a cartoon crocodile, call him Crocy and Croco and off you go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,450 ✭✭✭RedXIV

99% sure there was a Croc 2 anyway for PS1?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 mosher 66

RedXIV wrote: »
    99% sure there was a Croc 2 anyway for PS1?

there was indeed, i am actually playing it now XD
    there was a croc 1 on ps2 and some other consoles including gba, then croc 2 followed,
    Morpheme owned the rights and made Croc: Hero of the Gobbos for mobile phones before they were bought out by Eidos Interactive, who were in turn bought by Square Enix, who would now appear to own the rights to Croc. Still Croc wasn't a distinctive character in anyway. Just make a cartoon crocodile, call him Crocy and Croco and off you go.

wow i think my knowledge of croc just got trumped xD, well that idea sounds good for now but someday i would like to actually continue the series of croc and make it more free-roam the way i feel it was supposed to be, but thanks for the advice anyway :) i shall look into that about the rights anyway, but if was to go make anothe crocodile and call him crocy exactley wheat should i advoid to not infring copyright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,721 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

This thread makes me smile at the naivety of OP.

Go to college, you crazy diamond.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

One would imagine that the license for a moderately known and successful franchise like croc would cost well into six figures, and require numerous guarantees about distribution and release etc. I may be jumping to conclusions but I don't get the impression that the OP would have the resources to facilitate the acquisition of the license

The best bet might be to create your vision for the game with a new range of characters, but keeping the ideas influenced by the original. That way if it's a success it'll be your own IP, something that would be invaluable in the long run

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Croc - one of those games I have literally not given a stray thought to in around thirteen years.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 mosher 66

Helix wrote: »
    One would imagine that the license for a moderately known and successful franchise like croc would cost well into six figures, and require numerous guarantees about distribution and release etc. I may be jumping to conclusions but I don't get the impression that the OP would have the resources to facilitate the acquisition of the license

The best bet might be to create your vision for the game with a new range of characters, but keeping the ideas influenced by the original. That way if it's a success it'll be your own IP, something that would be invaluable in the long run

i should actually have fixed the first post i didnt mean to buy the license, i ment to get permissions from the holders to make my own version though i do hope to some day own my own company and then when i do have the facilitys to buy it, purchase it then, just if the company was dead such as argonaut and the rights were left with a specific person i thought i might just chance my arm and ask them for it XD
    K.O.Kiki wrote: »

i actually am in collage right now, i just like to keep my dreams and hopes high xD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

mosher 66 wrote: »
    Helix wrote: »

i should actually have fixed the first post i didnt mean to buy the license, i ment to get permissions from the holders to make my own version though i do hope to some day own my own company and then when i do have the facilitys to buy it, purchase it then, just if the company was dead such as argonaut and the rights were left with a specific person i thought i might just chance my arm and ask them for it XD
    K.O.Kiki wrote: »

i actually am in collage right now, i just like to keep my dreams and hopes high xD
    No chance you'll be getting permission then I'm afraid

Advertisement