Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is this the first group of Irish players to not care about playing for Ireland?

• 12-10-2012 9:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭

After getting our arses handed to us by Germany, and after a display like that and the Euros it just looks like this lot dont care.

For 15 years we have had teams full of Journeymen, Matt Holland, Lee Carsley, Clinton Morrison but the players always tried you couldnt question their commitment.

Gibson cant be bothered to show up, and the team just cant be arsed on the pitch.

A total joke of a team. They should be ashamed of themselves.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Probably because there's so many English players on the team. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The team played well for most of the first half. This is going to be forgotten about in all the Trap out hysteria.

Their heads dropped when they realised their opponents were on a different level.

I wouldn't criticise their commitment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

No excuse for that level of effort from professionals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

First letter F. Second letter O.

?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Leiva wrote: »
    First letter F. Second letter O.
    Football?
    Fork?
    Forensics?
    Focus?
    Food?
    Foal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Irish fans realising our level.......finally.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

If I was in the position of Shane Long I'd be gone from the set-up long ago TBH. These players do care. They show that when the comment on their exclusion from Trap's set 11. They can do nothing to get into this stubborn old man's "faves". This was all jinxed when Trap was given a new contract before he even had the chance to earn it (he hasn't).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭daingeanrob

we really don't have the players. we were really bad tonight though, but we don't have the players to change it

No excuse for not doing the basics right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭BetterCallSaul

In general, I think the majority of them do care, unfortunately, the majority of them are just not international quality players.

They tried in the first half and were just outclassed. Not surprising when it's champions league vs championship.

In the 2nd half they gave up when the 3rd went in, which is inexcusable at any level of football, but I don't think that's an overall reflection of their attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

TBF, the things that Trap originally brought to this team are not there anymore. The Irish teams I seen play in Paris and Bari were committed, organised and disciplined. Ireland were very difficult to break down, even against superior opposition. Any team that has those 3 characteristics will be difficult to beat.

For whatever reason, Trap hasn't been able to get these characteristics out of Irish players since the European Championships. Why that is is up for debate, but that team that took the field tonight may have been committed at 0-0, but collapsed after going 1 down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

The team played well for most of the first half. This is going to be forgotten about in all the Trap out hysteria.

Their heads dropped when they realised their opponents were on a different level.

I wouldn't criticise their commitment.

Thats right - on a different level in every department - including commitment

Dont make excuses. O'Shea didnt in his post match interview

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭LETS BE AVN IT

You can tell from O'Shea comments at end of game they do care but we are set up so negative , we are really not allowed play ball by trap

MrMatisse wrote: »

Gibson cant be bothered to show up.

Would you blame him really?

Paul Green?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

we really don't have the players. we were really bad tonight though, but we don't have the players to change it

That's not true, we can field one maybe even 2 outfield teams with players only from the Premiership.

Trap is inept, bad at managing people, bad at coaching in the modern game and he needs to go before irreparable damage is done to football in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

djPSB wrote: »

Maybe we need to recruit better English players. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

before irreparable damage is done to football in this country.

Trap is not the reason for irreperable damage that has already been done to football in this country.

The Football Association of Ireland caused it, was the cause of it, and remains to be the cause of it.

Without getting into it too deeply, because it's late and I've beer to drink, when the FAI started relying on British clubs to nurture talent for the Irish national team, and ignoring it's own domestic league as a breeding ground for talent, instead encouraging clubs to send players to Britain, that is when the irreperable damage was done, and this result, along with the summer fiasco, are the fruits of that idiocy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

dreamers75 wrote: »

What score did Gernany beat the Faroes?

Our level is that low? F*ck off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

d22ontour wrote: »
    djPSB wrote: »

We refused Jamie O'Hara

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Time for Jermaine Pennant to be called?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Des wrote: »
    Trap is not the reason for irreperable damage that has already been done to football in this country.

The Football Association of Ireland caused it, was the cause of it, and remains to be the cause of it.

Without getting into it too deeply, because it's late and I've beer to drink, when the FAI started relying on British clubs to nurture talent for the Irish national team, and ignoring it's own domestic league as a breeding ground for talent, instead encouraging clubs to send players to Britain, that is when the irreperable damage was done, and this result, along with the summer fiasco, are the fruits of that idiocy.

I dont disagree with that. I was just coming at it from a participation of our youth. They wont want to play the game in the first place, let alone get poached over to England that happens atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,080 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

In commentary they mentioned the number of CL players in the German side, compared to ours. I also remember ITV mentioning this stat once a few years ago too.

CL football is now the pinnacle of the world game imho. Its a sign of how good you are as a team, player etc if you play in it. Our one player is McGeady, think Germany had 10 players in it.

Says it all.

You can tell from O'Shea comments at end of game they do care but we are set up so negative , we are really not allowed play ball by trap

Sorry but O'Shea should have retired after the Euro's.

He is now part of the problem.

NIMAN wrote: »
    In commentary they mentioned the number of CL players in the German side, compared to ours. I also remember ITV mentioning this stat once a few years ago too.

CL football is now the pinnacle of the world game imho. Its a sign of how good you are as a team, player etc if you play in it. Our one player is McGeady, think Germany had 10 players in it.

Says it all.

Faroes were beaten 3 nil in Berlin. We were beaten 6-1 at home. How many players do the Faroes have in the English league, don't mind the champions league?

F*ck off with your half baked statistics.

So you believe the hype about the English league then?

So you believe the hype about the English league then?

whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

The manager is to blame. I'd rather John Aldridge in charge. Trap's era is long gone.

There is one obvious answer, Mick McCarthy, step right up!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

How can any player play to their ability when they have a manager who doesnt even believe in the players ability, the players do care about playing for Ireland they just dont care about playing for Trap they now know he is gone past his sell by date and since the euros they realise how much he has pushed the team back.

We were embarrassed in Poland,
    We were embarrassed in Kazakhstan,
    We were embarrassed tonight.

We are now going to go to the Faroes and struggle there and all of this while we have a manager who doesnt care enough to even realise that he is not wanted no more but he is in the best position as the fools at the FAI gave him what he wanted....a big fat contract that he knows they will be reluctant to tear up.

Trap needs to go so some one else can try and salvage our footballing nations pride otherwise we will become even more of a laughing stock in world football.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    F*ck off with your half baked statistics.
    Our level is that low? F*ck off.
    Aren't you a delight :rolleyes:
    And yea I know the reply.......

You see Traps logic is basically to finish 2nd in this group. Lets be honest, Germany will romp this group.

If we win on Tuesday he will be happy as we keep pace with Sweden. Performances don't matter to him, just results. He is old school Italian remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

It's not that they don't care, far from it. Players just don't want to work under Trap, he has the ones there conditioned to believe they're awful footballers and that they're worth little other than hoof and hack merchants. It's turned into a miserable job more than anything. No expression, no creativity and no credit. We're taught to fear the likes of Macedonia, Armenia and Kazakhstan and view the likes of Spain and Germany like some random barstooler watching Guardiola's Barcelona on television.

The younger ones he doesn't even play or gives very little opportunity to come through and if they don't like it, well they can **** off. Seriously, on top of everything above, he's burned bridges with how many players now? This isnt 1990, or even 2002, there is VERY little in the way of talent available from an Irish perspective so excluding a sizable pool of players for that reason isn't exactly helping!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

dreamers75 wrote: »

Pat's actually squared up to Hannover!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Na, the brats under Brian Kerr didn't give a toss. They couldn't even sit through a few videos of the opposition

cambo2008 wrote: »
    Aren't you a delight :rolleyes:
    And yea I know the reply.......

No deflections or snappy one liners, just answer me this... how does a bunch of part time fishermen and school teachers lose 3 nil to Germany in Germany, yet Ireland, made up of mostly premiership and championship players, get beaten 6-1 at home??

To quote Dietmar hamann: "germany were made to work harder against the faroes."

This isn't a case of us just been beaten by the better side. There is something fundamentally very wrong with the Irish team, and it isn't going to get better while Trap is in charge.

• Advertisement

Faroes apparently 9/1 v us with Paddy Power now - that is value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Sorry but O'Shea should have retired after the Euro's.

He is now part of the problem.

Ye of course he should retire when O 'Dea is around. His tackle for the penalty you wouldnt see in a non league game. But of course your right it would be better if our captain retired a Premiership centre back. At least we have O Dea a squad player in MLS, St Ledger a sub in the Championship and McShane a sub in the Championship. Your right we should be getting rid of him were spoilt in options to replace him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

No deflections or snappy one liners, just answer me this... how does a bunch of part time fishermen and school teachers lose 3 nil to Germany in Germany, yet Ireland, made up of mostly premiership and championship players, get beaten 6-1 at home??

This isn't a case of us just been beaten by the better side. There is something fundamentally very wrong with the Irish team, and it isn't going to get better while Trap is in charge.
    I'm not disagreeing. No need to tell anybody you don't agree with to f**k off.

The team that played the Faroes was arguably stronger than the one tonight.
    But football doesn't work that way either.
    If we beat the Faroes 4-0 on Tuesday well what does that say about Germany?
    Nothing.

I don't know about you but I didn't expect much better from tonight. People need to understand the poor quality players we have available.
    They just won't hold up against teams like Germany. I conservatively predicted 0-4 tonight, I had a feeling it would be worse though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,721 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I believe the players do care - but they have a manager well past his sell by date - WAS a great manager, sadly not now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

the majority of them are just not international quality players.

if they're among the best eligible for the country in their positions, then they're international quality players. simple as that. ive never understood what "international quality" was supposed to mean beyond the best eligible for any given international team. does that mean that only top 20 international teams or whatever in the world have international quality players? what about all the other internationals?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭secman

When do last recall an Irish manager constantly telling the media that our squad is not good enough , that our players are inferior, not mentally strong. And ye wonder if the players don't care !

Trap has long lost the dressing room , bar the cronies who should not be in the team.

The fai(L) board members have questions to answer, this blind allegiance to delaney , who is still on a ridiculously high salary, and we don't even have a proper league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    Faroes apparently 9/1 v us with Paddy Power now - that is value.

They are only 5/1, 21/10 for the faroes with the draw.
    No Value there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Hawk Wing 2

They don't believe in the manager, had to play with passion when there is no respect for the system or the manager

They don't believe in the manager, had to play with passion when there is no respect for the system or the manager

How about a bit of passion and respect for their country and the fans who paid good money to see them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

In my opinion players often look as if they are playing without passion when the truth is that they have no direction (or don't understand the direction) from the manager. Basically, they didn't know what they were expected to do or didn't believe in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

There was a 5 minute spell in the first half where we had 2% possession!!!

I have never seen that before and is embarrassing and highlights the deficiencies in his tactic. Assuming that in that 5 minutes a max of 4 was when the ball was in play that means we had the ball for 5 seconds :o

The "attempts" made by Ward and McCarthy on the last goal were embarrasing. The players AND manager need to have a hard look at themselves this morning

oldyouth wrote: »
    In my opinion players often look as if they are playing without passion when the truth is that they have no direction (or don't understand the direction) from the manager. Basically, they didn't know what they were expected to do or didn't believe in it.

Its the same system that they played in last year and they looked very well organised, nothing has changed. They should know exactly what they are expected to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭BetterCallSaul

Helix wrote: »
    if they're among the best eligible for the country in their positions, then they're international quality players. simple as that. ive never understood what "international quality" was supposed to mean beyond the best eligible for any given international team. does that mean that only top 20 international teams or whatever in the world have international quality players? what about all the other internationals?

Ok, the majority of them are sh1te players, happy now?

I've not exactly thought too much about it, but I suppose I use the term for someone I think is of the standard to be playing at major international tournaments and that doesn't mean that "only the top 20 international teams or whatever in the world have international quality players".

You could look at the bloody Welsh squad and pick out more quality than ours, which is fairly depressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

d22ontour wrote: »

We need to recruit better German, Spanish and Brazilian players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

This is an unbelievably retarded argument. United lost to City 6-1 last year, and Sunderland took 4 points off them. Does that make Sunderland better than United?

Tuesday could be horrible, but no matter what happens we are still better than the Faroes, which is why the bookies have us at 1/3 and not 7/4 as some people said in the match thread.

• Advertisement
Advertisement