Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turbo Cider - Rekorderling or Kopparberg Alike

Options
  • 12-10-2012 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭

Well lads

I currently have a turbo cider bottled which has been conditioning for 1 month now. Very dry cider with I imagine a pretty high ABV by the taste (forget to take a SG), i like it fine but I know the missus and others might not enjoy it.

What I want to do is try make a turbo cider that tastes something similiar to the ciders on the market. Anyone with any suggestions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

You'll need to add artificial sweeteners to it (or lactose, but it is not very sweet for the amount of calories). splenda is best but expensive. I mostly use the lidl tablet sweetener when priming. Amount will vary by taste, but to roughly get commercial cider sweetness I have been using 4 or 5 lidl tablets (less for splenda as it is sweeter per tab) per 500ml. I worked this out from the sugar content of commercial cider.

You can add it to your current batch at pouring time if you want. They dissolve handy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Thanks Khannie, I plan to make another batch using a proper fermenting bucket next week as last batch was using an empty 5ltr bottle of water. Will try this next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Khannie wrote: »
    You'll need to add artificial sweeteners to it (or lactose, but it is not very sweet for the amount of calories). splenda is best but expensive. I mostly use the lidl tablet sweetener when priming. Amount will vary by taste, but to roughly get commercial cider sweetness I have been using 4 or 5 lidl tablets (less for splenda as it is sweeter per tab) per 500ml. I worked this out from the sugar content of commercial cider.

You can add it to your current batch at pouring time if you want. They dissolve handy enough.

Hey khannie just wondering if you could post your TC recipe again as i can't find it...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Armelodie wrote: »
    Hey khannie just wondering if you could post your TC recipe again as i can't find it...

I kinda vary it as I go, but for a straight apple I would do usually:

25-30L lidl cloudy apple juice (1.29 per L)
    3 tea bags in a small amount of water (or apple juice) with the arse boiled out of them on a pot.
    Sometimes (most of the time really) I'll add some raisins. Beernut pointed out that most raisins have some oil on them. The sunmaid ones seem not to. The sugar in the raisins increases the OG so you'll get a slightly stronger brew with them - just be aware of that.

Put it all into the fermenter, sprinkle yeast on top. Wait 2 weeks. Check FG (should be 1.000).

I then batch prime with either more cloudy apple juice (if I've added raisins) or apple juice and sugar, or sometimes just honey (dissolved in a small amount of apple juice). Up to yourself here. In the batch prime mix I'll add 4-5 sweetener tablets per half litre (probably 7 per litre if using splenda).

That's it really. It's pretty simple.

Advertisement